Bad
Good

MacArthur is on the road to becoming one of the best schools in EPISD. The new principal as of 2012 has a wonderful open door policy, and is making changes that I believe will improve not only test scores, but the overall student experience. There us truly a family atmosphere, and wonderful parental involvement. Parents are welcome at all times, as well as in the classroom. The PTA is very active and positive. Military families are embraced and welcome here. MacArthur is unique as it is the only K-8 school in the district, so your child will have a continuity in education like no other. If you are considering MacArthur, I strongly suggest meeting with the principal!

The Principal has poor communication skills. She said she'd call and never did. When confronted in person, she was unapologetic and cool as a cucumber.

My family has been part of the MacArthur community for many, many years, and we've never had anything but amazing experiences. However, this year is the first year that there is a rather "unwelcome" atmosphere. Faculty and staff are no longer fun and energetic as they usually are, and I believe its from the iron-fisted new principal, who has never been anything but cold and even rude. What a shame....but despite the negativity from the top, everyone else is still managing to keep MacArthur the great school that it's always been. Hats off to teachers, but principal, lighten up! School is supposed to be a positive, happy, welcoming place, not a prison!

Each school has their flaws, minor or major, no school can be absolutely perfect. I was a student at MacArthur for 5 months due to an evacuation in Egypt, and I graduated there as well. Even though I was there for a short time, I was able to make friends in a jiffy! Especially since they thought I was Egyptian... I guess you could say I come from a military family, so, if you're worried that your kid won't fit in, don't worry they will. And about bulling problems, I had been called names in Spanish ONCE, and my teacher took care of it. I must say though, Spanish name calling is a BIG problem there, especially to those who don't know how to speak Spanish, or who are not Hispanic. Including me.

I've read some of the other reviews, and honestly, it isn't as bad as you think. I may not be a parent, but I am a student at Macarthur. When bullying does occur, it's something small such as name-calling or something small that students could handle by ourselves but choose not to. I am a GT military student, you would think I would be picked on, but I'm not. I have friends, I am getting good grades, the teachers are nice for the most part. This website should allow students to voice their opinions about schools, not just parents who don't know what REALLY happens.

I am so frustrated about the problem with bullies at MacArthur! TEACHERS DON"T IGNORE THE PROBLEM, PUT A STOP TO IT!!! My son asked a teacher in the 7th grade for help when a student was kicking him, but the student continued kicking my son! WHY?????? Don't let kids taunt one another with vicious remarks in your classrooms, PUT A STOP TO IT!!! I don't want my son to be the next person making a, " IT GETS BETTER VIDEO" on youtube because teachers and the administration don't help the innocent victims! HELP!

I have had a student here for two years now. Overall, it has been OK. None of the schools here seem to come close to the schools on the East Coast. While my student did well in the GT program, I cannot imagine what would have happened if she was an average student. Teachers were wonderful. Never met the Principal but I did try. Office staff need some courses in communication. More strict enforcement needs to happen with the gang kids and problem children plus they do have a bullying problem, although they tend to brush it under the rug. I would rather my child attend this school than some of the other schools though. It is better than many in EPISD.

We are new to El Paso. I have three children in this school and have found the teachers to be excellent across the board. Unfortunately, the teachers do not have support of the principal, The school however is badly organized and that comes from the top. I agree with previous reviews that the principal is NOT on the ball. There is no set calendar as events are cancelled/ rescheduled frequently. the EPISD needs to know a ship is only as good as its captain, this ship is sinking:( There is no consistency here and lack of communication. If you are an involved parent that thrives on organization and proper, timely communication this is not the school for you without patience!

I am very sad to see how the staff treat the parents in this school. There is no professionalism in this staff and it sad because it reflects on the principal not being on top of the conduct of her employees. I think that the code of conduct that applies to the children should apply to the office staff more so. we all need to talk to them when we enter. and its hard to, because of how they are. please ms. ramirez, correct that problem, so that you don't seem as unapproachable as them.

We are a military family stationed here in El Paso. My daugther has a wonderful teacher but the rest of the staff that I have come in contact with is very rude. If you are hispanic you should have no problems at this school. I have been treated badly multiple times upon entering this school. Parents are not aloud to go anywhere in the school other than the office. The rules about their pick-up policy changes everytime I go there. My daughter, who is 7 has been forced to walk around the outside of the school multiple times alone because they were told they couldn't walk through the halls after school. I would not recommend this school to anyone!!! The principal, Ms. Ramirez, is very rude and unapproachable.

Last modified MacArthur El-Intermediate School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.