Mesita Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 847 students

Posted April 2, 2014

I can not rave enough about Mesita Elementary. This is our first year at Mesita and we have been welcomed from the day we registered. The Principal and Assistant principal, staff, P.T.A, parents and especially the teachers have been wonderful. They are eager to help in any way and have made us feel welcomed and part of the Mesita Mustang family. The school has tremendous support from the P.T.A, parents, family, students, community, faculty and staff. Parents are welcomed to partipate and be part of all events.The P.T.A is incredible they do so much for the children, school and the community. Mesita has wonderful teachers that are very dedicated and caring. My son is in the Connecting Worlds program and I am very impressed with all he has learned with his teacher and the program. His teacher is beyond excellent she goes above and beyond her job. Mesita Elementary is known to excel in academics. This is true as a parent I can see why they excel. The faculty and staff work very hard for the students to not only excel academically but to challange them creatively with programs they offer through out the year. The students work very hard and have great pride in being a Mesita Mustang!

Posted November 10, 2013

My family has been in different parts of the US and by far this is one of the best schools. My daughter was in the Dual Program. She has a very strong academic level now thanks to them. I wanted to mention that yes I looked for the Dual program because I wanted her to learn Spanish, however, the academic level was very high. She had fun, she learned to write and read in Spanish and parent participation was very open for every parent. The Principal was very nice and very respectful. It is not important if she was serious or funny. What matters is how good she did her job. She is all over the school, helping, assisting, outside. The secretaries , always ready to help. The counselor, ready to assist parents and students. My experience with that school was very positive. I did not go to Isleta Dual because it was too far away, but regardless of comparing both my daughter was well prepared at Mesita. We live in the north now and she takes AP classes without a problem. The last thing I have to say is that I am a person with very, very high expectations as a mother and as a teacher so take my advise and visit the school.

Posted November 9, 2013

Academically probably the best in El Paso but gets negative reviews because of parking and other stupid comments. I would rather have my child learn and don't care if I have to take a taxi and walk a mile. Keep up the good work teachers.

Posted October 16, 2013

This school is getting lousy as the years go by. The worst is the horrible parking there is a band on visitors parking after school when it is much needed. They DOGS that should control the traffic in the parking and allow parents to fill empty parking slots instead of parents having to walk 3-4 blocks to pick the children up.in the bad weather are they going to pay doctor bills when the kids get sick due to having to walk in the bad weather

Posted June 7, 2013

My daughter has attended Mesita since Pre-K, and I can now make a full overall review of this school. First off, any time I had to go into the office, I dealt with sour, unprofessional, unorganized, extremely rude, and unknowledgable staff - who most don't speak English correctly anyway. It is all the same parents that are involved and they are clique-ey, just like back in high school, and they don't "let you in" to help, at all. Most of the teachers my daughter had were subpar, to the point where I would constantly have to correct teacher's spelling on vocab lists. If you must deal with a certain Mr. B., be prepared for condescendence, rude sarcasm, and arrogance. And don't even get me started on the lunch ladies that have tormented the kids. Icould continue, but I think this is informative enough. Thankfully, I will no longer be dealing with this mediocre staff.

Posted January 13, 2013

" PTA is her own little fundraising army and uses funds inappropriately, under the table, preferential treatment is rampant". Examples? I have never heard of such a thing there. The PTA is very fair and is always looking out for the best interests of the students and teachers.One of the best PTAs in El Paso. Feel free to join the board.All I can say is get more involved in your childrens school and don't appear just when something is wrong.

Posted October 18, 2012

Mesita Elementary The tone is set at the top Lila Ferris,Principal, is a well spoken individual; BUT is DISINGENUOUS. She is not friendly, she has GATE KEEPERS to ward off anyone that she & her staff feel are beneath her, or do not meet her wealth standard or what can they do for me or get me something I want scam.Her office STAFF are rude, condescending, prejudice. They bend EPISD rules to suit them& who they want at the school. There is no confidentiality when problems arise a gossip. If you have a problem with a teacher, or your child needs accommodations, everyone will know about it by day s end & will be talking about it at student pick-up at 3:15PM. She covers for teachers and other staff that are inept and bullies! She also will rid her school of very good teachers if they don t go along with the pack! PTA is her own little fundraising army and uses funds inappropriately, under the table, preferential treatment is rampant. What once was a very nice,good school, w/hardworking folks, is now a DICTATORSHIP.She s been here TOO LONG; it's harming the school. She was a Lorenzo Garcia, Superintendent advocate he's in prison! What she has been doing?

Posted October 18, 2012

WOW-I am so glad that someone else had the guts to say it like it is! I am a great-grandmother who still lives in the Mesita area! The principal Ms Ferris has run off or pushed out many great teachers. Her staff is VERY RUDE and feel protected because she is a horrible administrator. There are several BULLIES there-2nd Grd Teacher/Dual Language/ Cafeteria Mgr...She keeps them working and harms the students and insults the parents. SHAME ON YOU Ms. Ferris. The school is mess. Go somewhere else.

Posted August 15, 2010

oh and st.patricks school is horrible horrible they babysit they teach NOTHING I AM A X STUDENT AND MESITA WAS EXCELLENT!

Posted December 3, 2009

Mesita is the best elementary school in El Paso. Very caring and professional teachers and administration. My children are very happy and so am I. C. Renteria

Posted November 30, 2009

I have been extremely pleased with my daughter's writing and reading abilities since she began attending Kinder at Mesita. She had previously been at a private school. I have not had any of the negative experience (watching TV by administration); I have been invited to participate with my daughters education including lunch and I appreciate that they want to limit us having lunch with our children to once a week to encourage socialization with their peers. The only complaint I have is with the horrific drop off situation and the fact parents seem unable to follow basic safety procedures when dropping off/picking up their kids.

Posted October 3, 2009

This school has many dedicated teachers who not only teach but really care for their pupils.

Posted September 8, 2009

I agree with several comments made here about Mesita's Connecting World program. To be GT and dual language is a lot for a public school to take on in one program. My one experience in meeting with the director of the program to discuss a serious concern was not good. She responded with little critical thinking, creative problem-solving and tolerance for other perspectives. Given that these are the skills I wish my child to develop in school, I am looking now for alternatives.

Posted May 13, 2009

I have read all the reviews and am saddened by some of the comments. My son was in the dual language program, but it was not the right fit for him. That's not to say it's a bad program, just not right for him. I think if we take the time to actually try to speak with the teachers and administration you will find they are very pleasant and do listen. I also have to say I love the new WATCH DOG program. Its amazing to see how the children interact with the Dads that are on campus. Keep up the good work.

Posted May 13, 2009

I took my child out of the dual language program. I did speak w/administration, however, they completely sidestepped the issues & gave me the typical 'not a good fit' answer. It is not about fit, time & again the issues we parents raised were about standards/quality of the education. NO BASICS. I too had issues with the English portion. They DO treat the parents as complainers, not partners. My child was doing very well as far as grades, but the standards of the teachers especially the English was definitely sub-par. I have had Mexican national families flat out tell me the only reason they're in the program is to get an education in Spanish for free! This program is a spanish language program not a true 'DUAL' Language and not a GT program. Once we got into the monolingual we realized how far behind in reading, math & science.

Posted May 12, 2009

had my daughter at the dual -GT program 'Connecting Worlds' and, even though I leave a block away from mesita, and work as teacher's instructor at UTEP I decided to take her out and move her to a Dual program at the YISD. I am one of many who have exited the program. It's popularity is based on overrated comments from parents who unfortunately do not know better. Maybe because is one of few dual programs at the EPISD. Teachers (with few exemptions) are not prepared to teach to a gifted and talented group. Kids sometimes are under a lot of pressure. Each year or during the year kids are dropping the program. Administrations wont listen to you. Not friendly at all. The director of the Dual Program is famous for being not interested on the feedback from parents or students. If you address a problem, you are a complainer. Submitted by a parent

Posted September 8, 2008

I could not disagree more with the post of May 21, 2008. My son participates in the Connecting Worlds dual language program. It is an excellent program for all academics, not just for Spanish. All of my son's teachers have been more than competent to teach in both Spanish and English. It is true that Spanish is the first language of some of the Connecting Worlds teachers. Some of these teachers may be even stronger with Spanish than they are with English, but isn't this what you would want and expect from a true dual language program? Our family compared Mesita with various schools in town. We chose Mesita for its programs. We are very happy with our son's education. We have never doubted our decision. As for the staff, I am at the school often and I have certainly never seen staff watch television rather than do their jobs!

Posted July 16, 2008

This is not my daughter's first school, and compared, she hasn't been happier.

Posted July 11, 2008

The Connecting Worlds Program is excellent! The program has very good bilingual teachers (mrs. Dayoub, mrs. Nieves, mrs. Pitchard, mrs. Gonz lez, excellent persons!) and help the kids to learn in a multicultural enviroment giving them the chance to excel. The new building is awesome, the PTA has done a lot thanks to the parents envolvement. Nice parents and safe enviroment, my kids love their teachers, are proud of being a Mustangs and Im very pleased with the program. But, unfortunately our office personnel is rude and unkind, if you would like to talk with Mrs. Spivey (subdirector) be prepared of not having a proper attention.

Posted May 21, 2008

Huge disappointment. Rude and unprofessional. From Administration down to the quality of the lunch room personnel. It operates like a cold institution. The office personnel is a rude & mean. They treat parents like enemies. They keep parents waiting while they chat and watch TV! Once the Principle was with them-didn't say a word! Many timesI have had to correct my childs spelling list- for misspelled words! The dual language program is a farse- they only care about the Spanish portion of the program. The English is shoddy at best. Try to have a meeting with the teacher and Ms. Spivey the director will intercede and speak for the teacher. There is a teacher that actually calls the kids names. My childs teacher can't write or speak English. Try to get through to the Pricinpal- good luck, doesn't return messages. Some nice teachers - very nice parents. Needs much better academics.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

97 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

97 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

108 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

110 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

107 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

129 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

132 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

131 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students99%

Not economically disadvantaged99%
Special education86%
Limited English proficient (LEP)75%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

Male98%

Gifted/talented93%
Not Gifted78%
Bilingual88%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

• LAILA FERRIS
Fax number
  • (915) 534-7010

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now