Milam Elementary School 2

Posted September 11, 2014
we had a terrible time getting the principal to do much about the verbal bullying my son received. he would bring in both boys for a "pow-wow" - his words, not mine. starting in november of last year through the end of the school year this was all that was ever done, on 4 separate occasions when the bullying would get so bad my son would come home crying. the two stars are solely because his teacher, Mrs. Etheridge was wonderful. another second grade teacher, when i tried talking to her about her student bullying my son, responded "what do you want me to do about it?" we chose to home school to stay out of this school district entirely when my friend was told by the district super that they don't have a bullying policy and unless a teacher sees it, even physical bullying (what her son was getting), there's nothing they could do about it.

Posted August 16, 2014
Not good. As a teacher and parent I have no respect for Principal Llanos. He talked to me like I was a dog. This EPISD employee told me I was a neglectful parent and that he wasn't running a daycare (I was 10 minutes late picking up my child on a half day. Please note though the times posted for the half day were incorrect). I left the school crying and my children were with me and heard the way he spoke to me. My child calls him the mean man.

Posted June 05, 2014
The school was ok at first I was disappointed with the lack of extra curricular activities like science Olympics, I then was surprised that since we got here in September my 5th grader could not be in the orchestra, which being a military school surprised me kids come in and out all the time not by choice so to deny them doesn't seem fair especially by just a couple weeks. Now since he didn't get orchestra he had art but they don't have an art program or teacher so it is used as study hall. The school has a zero tolerance bully policy but it is definatly not enforced the teacher told me my son was too sensitive and needed to suck it up. The principal is newer and the kids like him because he doesn't ever do anything that man is worthless. We had medical issues come up in Feb causing my son to miss school as he was in and out of the hospital the principal tried to get my son retained but couldn't because he was on honor roll and passed all the staar tests. I just don't understand this school. After battling it out with them this whole last semester I am so relieved that this year is done and we are moving on to middle school. I will be home schooling my other younger children.

Posted January 08, 2014
I went to this school during 2010 for 5th grade. I've read the below comments and it is just my opinion but not all of the staff are rude and do not care, same with the teachers. I had great teachers and there were amazing people in the front office when I went there. Honestly it may not be the same as before but, people move and get promotions so you can't expect the wonderful staff that was there before to still be there. I can say though that the school has changed quite a bit from when I went there.

Posted May 02, 2013
This is the best school ever and I am so grateful that my children have the opportunity to attend. My kids have been enrolled at Milam for the last three years and we look forward to another year.

Posted May 02, 2013
This school has been the worst ever! Most staff is unprofessional and rude! We will be homeschooling our children next year due to this experience at this school. There isn't a classroom that I have seen that doesn't look like an episode off of hoarders. I wouldn't recommend this school to ANYONE!!

Posted November 01, 2012
When a person is in a position and make an impact on kids and adults, they should 1. be conscious of that fact, 2. be able to display the role model behavior that reflects accountabbility and professionalism, and last but not least, CARE. While the majority of the staff does care, our military liason person stated to a very nice person on today that she does NOT care. She has been rude to some of the nicest people at this school, and the bad part is if she took the time to look at her behaviors she would see just how mean and rude she is. Maybe she needs a friend, but in the meantime she has a job and she is not living up to it...she seems very bitter and disgruntled. I think when she does leave a dark cloud will move from over the school. She lives up to EPISD's tainted reputation. I guess that means she belongs, but shouldn't we expect more? We belong and we have a right to expect more! She is getting a paycheck for behaving badly! There are many families that have withdrew their children from this school and even more considering it.It is sad because the residents deserve more than the liason they are stuck with. Hopefully she gets it or gets out, soon! Disappointed! Uuugh!

Milam Elementary School 2

Posted October 11, 2012
My sons attended this school for one year last year. (3rd grade and Kinder) I wasn't impressed with this school. Aside from the fact that the staff was expected to do more with less, there were a few faculty members I took particular issue with. It isn't because I don't think they care; in fact, I am certain they do care about the children. But specifically, the Kinder teacher and the pricipal seemed ill-prepared to deal with my "special needs" child. They were inexperienced and unknowledgeable when dealing with my child who was eventually diagnosed with ADHD and sensory issues. Throughout the year, I did everything I could to help the teacher deal with my "difficult" child. At one point I was confronted by three Kinder teachers who basically placed the blame on me for his issues. I haven't had to deal with a child like him before, I was counting on them to have the experience to help me. By the end of the school year, it seemed like they were just waiting for him to move on. My only complaint about my older son is the librarian refused to let him check out a 6th grade level book because he was in 3rd grade. Don't hold a child back if they can read it!

Posted July 06, 2012
I have two children who attend this school, so far the experience had been a good one. Yes the principal seems a liitle unengaged with the children but I think the teachers and office staff have been amazing. My son has a speech issue and both his teacher and therapist have worked to help him and have put effort to help him succeed. My older son had an issue with bullying I went in to the office to report it, and even though I was told the principal would call me, she never did but two days later when I went back in the military liason lady at the front desk ( can't remember her name at the moment) was super helpful and she made sure this issue was dealt with and the principal did put an end to it. So overall I think it's a wonderful school with some great teachers. Hope this helps :)

Posted September 27, 2011
I would have to disagree with the last poster from Sept 21, 2011. I have had children at this school for the last 2 years now and I've had multiple problems with this principal. I've told her my concerns or problems and she blamed the teachers or said I just don't understand how difficult the position is. She condones gossiping of some of her "office" staff to others. She will tell you one thing and do another. She's very revengeful when confronted. I think its time for her, her counselor and her smart-mouth military person finds another job.

Milam Elementary School
5000 Luke St, El Paso, TX  79908
Last modified Milam Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Milam Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top