Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

The current principal, Mr. Llanos, has a condescending attitude, and when problems are brought to him, instead of trying to solve them, he blames the parents. Last year, due to teachers quitting and classes being overcrowded, my children went (individually) went through 3 teachers each. They state that they are available to help with problems, but the administration makes themselves unavailable.

We had high hopes for Milam. A true neighborhood school comprised of kids from other military families. Unfortunately, Milam has been a disappointment since day 1 - Registration Day. The school was completely unorganized and unprepared for the volume of people that needed to register their children. The organization in the front office has not gotten better. There are some amazing volunteers who really do what they can to help out, but it's tough when the Principal treats parents as adversaries rather than as resources. Another major problem I have is that there is no separate art class and there is no recess (I was told that there's not enough time i the day, despite there being 30 mins more every day than we had at our previous school). The reason this is a 2 star review instead of 1 star is because of the teachers. The teachers that I've had the pleasure of interacting with have been amazing. They definitely care very much for the kids and push them to do their best.

we had a terrible time getting the principal to do much about the verbal bullying my son received. he would bring in both boys for a "pow-wow" - his words, not mine. starting in november of last year through the end of the school year this was all that was ever done, on 4 separate occasions when the bullying would get so bad my son would come home crying. the two stars are solely because his teacher, Mrs. Etheridge was wonderful. another second grade teacher, when i tried talking to her about her student bullying my son, responded "what do you want me to do about it?" we chose to home school to stay out of this school district entirely when my friend was told by the district super that they don't have a bullying policy and unless a teacher sees it, even physical bullying (what her son was getting), there's nothing they could do about it.

Not good. As a teacher and parent I have no respect for Principal Llanos. He talked to me like I was a dog. This EPISD employee told me I was a neglectful parent and that he wasn't running a daycare (I was 10 minutes late picking up my child on a half day. Please note though the times posted for the half day were incorrect). I left the school crying and my children were with me and heard the way he spoke to me. My child calls him the mean man.

The school was ok at first I was disappointed with the lack of extra curricular activities like science Olympics, I then was surprised that since we got here in September my 5th grader could not be in the orchestra, which being a military school surprised me kids come in and out all the time not by choice so to deny them doesn't seem fair especially by just a couple weeks. Now since he didn't get orchestra he had art but they don't have an art program or teacher so it is used as study hall. The school has a zero tolerance bully policy but it is definatly not enforced the teacher told me my son was too sensitive and needed to suck it up. The principal is newer and the kids like him because he doesn't ever do anything that man is worthless. We had medical issues come up in Feb causing my son to miss school as he was in and out of the hospital the principal tried to get my son retained but couldn't because he was on honor roll and passed all the staar tests. I just don't understand this school. After battling it out with them this whole last semester I am so relieved that this year is done and we are moving on to middle school. I will be home schooling my other younger children.

I went to this school during 2010 for 5th grade. I've read the below comments and it is just my opinion but not all of the staff are rude and do not care, same with the teachers. I had great teachers and there were amazing people in the front office when I went there. Honestly it may not be the same as before but, people move and get promotions so you can't expect the wonderful staff that was there before to still be there. I can say though that the school has changed quite a bit from when I went there.

This is the best school ever and I am so grateful that my children have the opportunity to attend. My kids have been enrolled at Milam for the last three years and we look forward to another year.

This school has been the worst ever! Most staff is unprofessional and rude! We will be homeschooling our children next year due to this experience at this school. There isn't a classroom that I have seen that doesn't look like an episode off of hoarders. I wouldn't recommend this school to ANYONE!!

When a person is in a position and make an impact on kids and adults, they should 1. be conscious of that fact, 2. be able to display the role model behavior that reflects accountabbility and professionalism, and last but not least, CARE. While the majority of the staff does care, our military liason person stated to a very nice person on today that she does NOT care. She has been rude to some of the nicest people at this school, and the bad part is if she took the time to look at her behaviors she would see just how mean and rude she is. Maybe she needs a friend, but in the meantime she has a job and she is not living up to it...she seems very bitter and disgruntled. I think when she does leave a dark cloud will move from over the school. She lives up to EPISD's tainted reputation. I guess that means she belongs, but shouldn't we expect more? We belong and we have a right to expect more! She is getting a paycheck for behaving badly! There are many families that have withdrew their children from this school and even more considering it.It is sad because the residents deserve more than the liason they are stuck with. Hopefully she gets it or gets out, soon! Disappointed! Uuugh!

My sons attended this school for one year last year. (3rd grade and Kinder) I wasn't impressed with this school. Aside from the fact that the staff was expected to do more with less, there were a few faculty members I took particular issue with. It isn't because I don't think they care; in fact, I am certain they do care about the children. But specifically, the Kinder teacher and the pricipal seemed ill-prepared to deal with my "special needs" child. They were inexperienced and unknowledgeable when dealing with my child who was eventually diagnosed with ADHD and sensory issues. Throughout the year, I did everything I could to help the teacher deal with my "difficult" child. At one point I was confronted by three Kinder teachers who basically placed the blame on me for his issues. I haven't had to deal with a child like him before, I was counting on them to have the experience to help me. By the end of the school year, it seemed like they were just waiting for him to move on. My only complaint about my older son is the librarian refused to let him check out a 6th grade level book because he was in 3rd grade. Don't hold a child back if they can read it!

Last modified Milam Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.