Bassett Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 736 students

Posted February 11, 2014

Absolutely horrible school. Please if you can avoid it do not send our children here. my son was assigned this school because of our address and I am now looking to move simply because I could not take another year of their incompetence. We PCS'd (moved) here in August and from the start they failed to do their jobs properly. They lost my sons enrollement documents, so we had to have many meetings on his curriculum. They have no transition for students going from a structured elementary system to Middle school. Kids are just supposed to figure it out. This includes textbooks, which my son was told he had to go and get from the school librarian during his lunch time because they do not issue them out during class. There is little to none responsibility for when things go wrong, everyone wants to blame someone else. God forbid your child missed the bus home because they would not let him in the school to use the phone and call me. Twice he had to walk about 5 miles to the house. This is by far the worst school I have ever encountered and hope that this review keep other parents away from it.

Posted February 3, 2014

I am an eighth grader at Bassett, and this is my first year here. I absolutely love it! The people here are so nice, and everyone was talking to me the first day of school. My dad had heard that this wasn't a very good school, but I am happy I decided to go here. Our overall grades aren't very good, but the teachers are amazing. I have have had all A's this year, and I am also the editor for our school yearbook. Even if you are struggling in a subject, there is tutoring almost everyday after school. The school offers a variety of technology programs, such as dollars and sense, keyboarding, and a class just learning about technology, I have all three. I have never been bullied and there are amazing people here to become friends with. I would definitely recommend Bassett for anyone to attend.

Posted May 31, 2013

I was warned about this school before my daughter started by numerous people. I still gave it a chance. WORST decision ever made. Teachers are horrible and could care less about their job. School is way underfunded. 8th graders can't pass the 6th grade star test. I was warned, and will warn others please do not let your child even waste a year at this school.

Posted November 5, 2012

The only children who are happy, and excel in this school, are the children who are popular, well known, and strong. Parents only see what they want to see; their spoiled little brats happy, no matter how much they hurt the other children.

Posted April 3, 2012

If I could get this school ZERO stars I would. I went against my better judgement and decided to let my daughter attempt to attend this school because it was what she really wanted. One month into the school year we had to pull her out because the bullying was out of control. I got no help from the school. I was even told my one administrator at the school that my daughter was found hiding in a corner holding a backpack over her head crying and then in the next breath she tried to say that my child may be the bully. Every single incident was made out to be no big deal and swept under the rug! I would never suggest the school as a good option to any parent!

Posted March 29, 2012

Bassett Middle has a bullying problem ..... Its the worse school I have ever sent my kid to

Posted January 23, 2012

The school has a bullying problem that was taken care of. But as far as the academic goes it does not exceeds the standards to the East where books are available and the children are learning at a higher pace. Plus, candy and slurpees are being sold during lunchtime in which the school tries to compensate for money needed for things that should matter. The PTA worries about replacing the Mascot uniform and a floormat of the school versus the problems of the bullying, education, and what is being sold during lunchtime. Military children are a federal aide number for funding as I see it, but next year not mine.

Posted August 30, 2011

My son was beat up during the first week of school because he "looked " at a kid wrong. And what did the principle do...nothing. They acted as if i should be grateful that it wasnt anything worse. excuse me but one drive up the road to even get to this deplorable school will tell you why your child should not attend here. The academics are a joke and the drama and bullys that rule socially at this school are not worth the problems they keep creating. stay far far away. To many military kids fighting with the local kids , drugs and other issues abound. while i know it can happen anywhere the difference is itisnt handked well here by the administration. to many chances given on serious violations.

Posted November 14, 2010

I heard a lot of bad things about Bassett and NOT one of them turned out to be true. My son is very happy there and we are moving out of Bassett's dirstrict and he is not going to change to a different school. He is in the gifted program and the teachers and staff are great. It's all up to the child what they make of it.

Posted October 22, 2009

i'm a Bassett middle school parent and i just want to say that this year there has been many parent meetings and parent activities and i just want to thank the principal for all the parent involvement for this year . It has been great.

Posted June 8, 2009

My son had the opportunity to attend MacArthur, but he decided to go to Bassett. He excelled in many things, A Hono Roll, Track Star, Football Champs, and most important, accepted to a Magnet Program and passed all his TAKS. People are critical because they do not see what is happening because of lack of parent involvement and a poor PTA. Parents are the key to success so get involved and be part of your kids growing environment.

Posted April 19, 2009

Personally I think they should restruction the whole leardership at this school. And Put some Principal that can really make a difference in that school. There is really to many prombles. I pull my children out and will not let any more of my children attend that school due to the violence in the school.

Posted October 29, 2008

The negitive comments of a very small number of unhappy parents or former students should not reflect upon what's really going on at this school. Bassett has made great progress over the past few years. The administration, faculty and staff are working very hard to make the school one of the best and safest schools in the district. We continue to improve our test scores and our athletic program is still going strong. The school atmosphere is improving and after a twenty years I still love coming to work. I'm very proud of this school and we will only get a lot better.

Posted October 29, 2008

If the negative comments from unhappy parents and former are so small, then why is the overall rating for this a 2? You can also take a look at the Texas State report card for this school and see how outstanding the grades are. :)
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 15, 2008

We also decided to give Bassett a try for our 6th grader. Staff and principal assured us the rumors were not true and the bulling was at a minimum. Well, they lied!! Our child is picked on and bullied on a daily basis. Our phone calls our not returned and the staff just does not seem to see what is going on in their hallways or just doesn't care. This school is the most disgusting and incompetant school I have ever had the displeasure of even hearing about. I am so ashamed as a parent that I even subjected my son to such a school where the students are not put first and the parents are ignored!! We will definatly not be keeping our child in this school!!

Posted August 28, 2008

we are a military family when we moved here to el pas I heard bad stories about bassett from othere parents I decided to let my 6th and 7th graders try baseett out..I am happy with the school dont have any complaints both my kids are on the honor role and I feel that bassett staff is doing a good job to change the bad rep...go hounds

Posted May 11, 2008

They days of bad education at Bassett are long gone. Students were expected to rise to the occasion, teachers were expected to provide solid instruction, and parents were expected to show up. This year, this happened - scores have reflected this, and more importantly Bassett reflects this. Just a short time ago, students were walking through the doors believing anything goes within the school's walls, parents blamed administration, and teachers were left to try deal with complex social-economic issues of the area. Together with the help of students, parents, teachers, and administration the school has taken control. The result a real success story.. good job!

Posted May 13, 2007

The students were not issued books the first month of school; however, each student had a book for every class which they left in the classroom. If the student needed to take a book home he or she was allowed to check out the book. Bassett has done an outstanding job of improving performance across the board. I think the biggest problem this school faces is parent involvement.

Posted October 22, 2006

There is almost no parent involvement. If you are a parent, please see what you can do to help make our school safer and more enjoyable for your child so that he or she have a chance at success in the classroom. Let's work together to ensure your child's a success.

Posted September 14, 2006

The children are behind the other schools in the district because they did not have books for the first month of school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

239 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

299 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

All Students76%

Proficient in English91%
Migrant67%
Not migrant88%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

224 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

230 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

217 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

229 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

215 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

197 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students52%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Unacceptable".

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (915) 565-1562

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options