Posted October 11, 2012
Kohlberg Elementary is an exemplary rated school. The quality of the education is noted, however, there are some other areas of concern. Some of the staff is friendly some are not. There is an obvious bias towards some parents. The constantly ask for volunteers but when you volunteer no response is given and information is not forwarded. Volunteer forms/PTA forms are completed and when inquires are made no one seems to be able to provide you with an answer on the status of your application. Was truly excited about my children attending this school and have been a bit disappointed thus far.

Posted September 05, 2012
I really do not understand the comments about the Principal Mrs. Vargas. My daughter just started Kinder up there and I made a request to Mrs. Vargas. My request was fulfilled, plus I've had several conversations with Mrs. Vargas. She has been nothing but kind & helpful to me. The only possible problem I see is perhaps a lack of volunteers. This seemed evident during registration with the long lines... Otherwise, the administration has been great, my daughter loves her teacher and I've heard nothing but good things about the other teachers. A big thumbs up for Kohlberg!

Kohlberg Elementary School 3

Posted July 24, 2012
I agree totally with the parent about PTA, cold principal and Kies as well. Thankfully my child never had Kies. But hte Admin is very rude. Asst.Principal doesn't have a clue what discipline is. I wonder when will this school district close ina nd take charge instead of putting incapable people incharge of our children's future. there have been so many friends of mine who have left the school because of this principle... I probably shoudl do the same too. i'm here only for my child. Please help soemone. The teachers are great. But the admin will run the school into the ground.

Kohlberg Elementary School 1

Posted June 28, 2011
Mrs. Vargas and Mrs. Gibson are horrible and should not... Continued- Additionally, Ms.Kais tried to impose religion on me at a parent teacher meeting I had to keep asking her for, point being what she did clearly goes against the Texas schools teacher code of conduct. When my child was transfered out, Ms.Kais paraded in celebration in front of the other children, it got back to my daughter and it destroyed her morale. Onto the reason for Mrs.Vargas with-holding my child in the current grade is for absences. They exceeded 15 according to them. I had excused notes from my childs therapist for counseling when my child was only gone for 2 hours in the morning for the counseling sessions. and doctors notes for illness which are inevitable. When it comes to education and discipline, other than 2, maybe 3 of the teachers I've interacted with, Mrs.Melendez, the school councelor, is only the other asset this school has on staff and she is overwhelmed as there are over 800 students enrolled. Kohlberg could certainly benefit from restructuring by hiring a new and worthy Principal and Vice principal before the school is driven to the ground. Mrs.Vargas + Mrs.Gibson = FAIL -One angry parent

Posted January 06, 2010
I love how helpful the office staff is - they are friendly, know the names of the children, and help resolve concerns quickly. As well, Mrs. Vargas, the new Principal is making a few changes here and there - but is genuinely interested in making Kohlberg a great school for children and their families. Perhaps the best administrative asset for Kohlberg right now is Mrs. Melendez - the school counselor. She is a great encourager for children and understands how to help our kids - no matter how big or small their issues may be. Ms. Curry, the librarian is perfect for Kohlberg, as well. She has a terrific grasp of the reading needs of our kids and is a strong advocate for good literature at Kohlberg. Love the PTA - the teachers - and the staff. Great school!

Posted January 05, 2010

Posted December 30, 2009
I agree completely agree with the parent about Ms. Vergas. She is really someone who should not be a principal. I have seen so many unhappy faces at this school since she took over. When I tried to confront her about a concern she completely dismissed me I have complained to the district and with the amount of taxes we are paying we should be heard. None of the rules that she has made has benefitted anyone, especially the students and the parents. The school is going down hill.

Kohlberg Elementary School 1

Posted December 17, 2009
Ms. Vergas, the new principle is a big disappointment for us. It's obvious she is just sitting there to get paid. Unlike Mr. Escaleno the previous prin., we hardly ever see her trying to communicate with students. She tried to be out there directing the traffice like Mr. Escaleno for the first 3 days and that was it. She is enforcing many strict rules in the school events and certainly students are not enjoying their school anymore. Ms. Vergas, doesn't seem to understand that if she wants support from the students and parents, she needs to communicate more and support her students too.

Posted February 11, 2009
The school is crowded. During recess, there are too many children and not enough personel to take care of them, specially for the kinder classes. The special education 'mixed' classes availalbe at this school are not distributed efficiently, and no good experience has been shown with teaching kids with special ed. How can you expect to have mixed special ed classes when you cannot handle the crowds of regular kids you already have? Also, special attention to parents is often given if you have the proper 'connections', otherwise, it is pretty diffcult to address any needs with the administration.

Posted December 27, 2008
this school is terriable. i would not recommend it. the teachers don't take they time with the children and also the coach is extremely rude and should not be coaching.

Kohlberg Elementary School
1445 Nardo Goodman Drive, El Paso, TX  79912
Last modified Kohlberg Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kohlberg Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top