Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

teachers are great! they just get trampled over by assistant principal and principal. they have very little resources to teach and to many children per classroom.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

kids are always tardy and school does not care, also when kids take star test they allow kids that don't pass to pass.

Kinder teacher Ms. Ballenger displayed lack of control in the classroom. Yelled at the students even in front of staff and parents. She told students they were immature and not "first grade ready" after the first week of school. Principal Mrs. Shetty showed no genuine concern for the issues at hand and did very little to address them. Teacher's behavior continued dispite addressing it to the principal and HR staff multiple times.

Excellent organization, my son had been in this school for 2.5 years and is doing great. He's been doing excellent on all the State exams! He is also always very excited about going to school he loves his school.

The ladies at the front desk are very friendly and helpful with the exception of Martha who is rude and abrupt. The principal changes every year. Dr Lorraine ODonnel would be sure to address herself as Dr. She was always off campus and never atttended any meetings with parents.

We are starting our third year at this school and we have had a very good experience. All three of my children read above level. My son was diagnosed with adhd last year and without the support and dedication of his teacher it would have been a very difficult year for him. This school does not allow parents to "hover" all day as they do in the public schools. However, that doesn't mean you can't communicate and form a relationship with your teachers if you make an effort. But the you do have to make an effort and really as a parent you should be doing that anyway right? Remember that the negative reviews are the result of very specific experiences and is not to say you will have the same experience. If you want a smaller school with a big emphasis on academics and more controlled environment then you might like this school. the school does have an excellent speech therapist, beyond that I don't think they can accommodate. To sum up, the teachers at this school are caring and highly qualified. They work hard for your kids and most are approachable. Based on my experiences, I would recommend this school. And most importantly, my kids love it.

This is my children's first year at this school. My son is in 3rd grade and my daughter in 1st. So far we have had a great experience and are very satisfied with the school. Yes the teachers are a little hard on the students as far as academics, which is great because they challenge them to do their best and not be lazy like other school districts do. This school has a private school atmosphere. I don't know why people complain of not being able to communicate with teachers because I have been able to schedule meetings with them and can approach them after school with no problem at all. My children love this school. If you like for your children to be challenged academically, learn discipline and like private school atmosphere, then this is the school for you!!!!....By the way I've heard so many lies and negative things about these charter schools which mostly come from people that have never even had their children in these type of schools....please don't listen to people that like to open their mouth without even knowing what they are talking about...I suggest you check out the schools in person and do some research before making a decision or going by what other people say!

Coming into this school was great! Our first year was when my daughter was in kindergarten and she had the most outstanding teacher. However, it has progressively gotten worse as time goes by. Now my daughter is in second grade and I can not get the teacher to communicate with me beyond the bare minimum. My daughter has great grades, her lowest is an 84%, but, they recommend summer school. And when it is recommended, then they mean it is required to move on up to the next grade. Yes, there is academic discrimination going on at this school. It seams that parents are minimally involved, however, major involvement past what the school invites the parents to is highly discouraged! I think that the teachers could be better if they were not so harshly controlled by the superintendent; thus, this is also the issue with keeping principals.

This school was such a dissappointment. I'm at my wits end waiting for the school year to end. This school really ruined not only my 1st experience with my child in school, but my child's experience as well. My child went from being excited to go to school, neat coloring, dedicated, to being discouraged by the teacher, literally having nightmares at night because teacher tells him he's not doing good. I DO NOT recommend this school. I've tried meeting with the teacher & have the principal present, but it would not happen. Prinicipal could never respond to my request. The school makes it very difficult for parents who work to be able to see their child's performances because they hold them during early school hours, Ex: 9:30 a.m. or 11:00 a.m. I can't wait to put my child in a regular public school. I could go on and on about this school, but I only listed the worst. Discouraging teachers, difficulty for parents to be involved, last minute notices, and worst of all, teachers keeping child for tutoring without your permission or without the child needing it. This school has great marketing to lure you in. Don't do it, you'll be very dissappointed.

I had great expectations for this school after hearing so many good things about it. I was very disappointed with the experience. My daughter's teacher was fairly good, but my daughter was above the reading level and she didn't do anything to help her continue growing. Is that acceptable from an exemplary school? I had to suggest the teacher to place my daughter in a higher level reading group so she could be challenged because my daughter started to get bored in school. They give the same material to all kinds no matter what level they have...I would expect that from any other school but not from an exemplary. The front desk people are rude and unfriendly, they need motivation to go to work, maybe a higher salary! Communication between parents and administration is non-existent and discouraged! You can't see your kids during school hours! and so on......

Last modified Howard Burnham Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.