Public charter
El Paso, TX

Howard Burnham Elementary School 3

Posted August 07, 2013
The ladies at the front desk are very friendly and helpful with the exception of Martha who is rude and abrupt. The principal changes every year. Dr Lorraine ODonnel would be sure to address herself as Dr. She was always off campus and never atttended any meetings with parents.

Posted September 30, 2012
We are starting our third year at this school and we have had a very good experience. All three of my children read above level. My son was diagnosed with adhd last year and without the support and dedication of his teacher it would have been a very difficult year for him. This school does not allow parents to "hover" all day as they do in the public schools. However, that doesn't mean you can't communicate and form a relationship with your teachers if you make an effort. But the you do have to make an effort and really as a parent you should be doing that anyway right? Remember that the negative reviews are the result of very specific experiences and is not to say you will have the same experience. If you want a smaller school with a big emphasis on academics and more controlled environment then you might like this school. the school does have an excellent speech therapist, beyond that I don't think they can accommodate. To sum up, the teachers at this school are caring and highly qualified. They work hard for your kids and most are approachable. Based on my experiences, I would recommend this school. And most importantly, my kids love it.

Posted May 19, 2012
This is my children's first year at this school. My son is in 3rd grade and my daughter in 1st. So far we have had a great experience and are very satisfied with the school. Yes the teachers are a little hard on the students as far as academics, which is great because they challenge them to do their best and not be lazy like other school districts do. This school has a private school atmosphere. I don't know why people complain of not being able to communicate with teachers because I have been able to schedule meetings with them and can approach them after school with no problem at all. My children love this school. If you like for your children to be challenged academically, learn discipline and like private school atmosphere, then this is the school for you!!!!....By the way I've heard so many lies and negative things about these charter schools which mostly come from people that have never even had their children in these type of schools....please don't listen to people that like to open their mouth without even knowing what they are talking about...I suggest you check out the schools in person and do some research before making a decision or going by what other people say!

Posted May 18, 2012
Coming into this school was great! Our first year was when my daughter was in kindergarten and she had the most outstanding teacher. However, it has progressively gotten worse as time goes by. Now my daughter is in second grade and I can not get the teacher to communicate with me beyond the bare minimum. My daughter has great grades, her lowest is an 84%, but, they recommend summer school. And when it is recommended, then they mean it is required to move on up to the next grade. Yes, there is academic discrimination going on at this school. It seams that parents are minimally involved, however, major involvement past what the school invites the parents to is highly discouraged! I think that the teachers could be better if they were not so harshly controlled by the superintendent; thus, this is also the issue with keeping principals.

Posted May 06, 2011
This school was such a dissappointment. I'm at my wits end waiting for the school year to end. This school really ruined not only my 1st experience with my child in school, but my child's experience as well. My child went from being excited to go to school, neat coloring, dedicated, to being discouraged by the teacher, literally having nightmares at night because teacher tells him he's not doing good. I DO NOT recommend this school. I've tried meeting with the teacher & have the principal present, but it would not happen. Prinicipal could never respond to my request. The school makes it very difficult for parents who work to be able to see their child's performances because they hold them during early school hours, Ex: 9:30 a.m. or 11:00 a.m. I can't wait to put my child in a regular public school. I could go on and on about this school, but I only listed the worst. Discouraging teachers, difficulty for parents to be involved, last minute notices, and worst of all, teachers keeping child for tutoring without your permission or without the child needing it. This school has great marketing to lure you in. Don't do it, you'll be very dissappointed.

Howard Burnham Elementary School 2

Posted July 16, 2010
I had great expectations for this school after hearing so many good things about it. I was very disappointed with the experience. My daughter's teacher was fairly good, but my daughter was above the reading level and she didn't do anything to help her continue growing. Is that acceptable from an exemplary school? I had to suggest the teacher to place my daughter in a higher level reading group so she could be challenged because my daughter started to get bored in school. They give the same material to all kinds no matter what level they have...I would expect that from any other school but not from an exemplary. The front desk people are rude and unfriendly, they need motivation to go to work, maybe a higher salary! Communication between parents and administration is non-existent and discouraged! You can't see your kids during school hours! and so on......

Posted February 27, 2010
Board membership at Howard Burnham would appear to be highly groomed by the superintendent who as of recently has been unable to retain principals for the two schools in the charter district. For those of us who like to be involved in our children's education it and get regular feedback on their progress, this is not a desirable situation.

Howard Burnham Elementary School 4

Posted February 26, 2010
We are a military family that just recently moved to the area. So far, we absolutly love this school. Honestly, it feels as if my son is at a million dollar private school. I would recc. this school to any incomming Army Families!

Howard Burnham Elementary School 2

Posted January 15, 2010
HB Elementary is a small but growing charter school. The curriculum is highly focused on passing the standard exam required by the State of Texas. Daily PE replaces recess so informal student interaction outside the classroom is very limited. The administration takes great pride in providing access to the arts. Promotional material mention an added emphasis on STEM (Science and Engineering elements) but there is limited evidence that this is taking place in all grade levels. Communication with parents is highly dependent on a website. The school needs to build computer and science laboratories. Public school in the area may be superior to what HB offers.

Posted January 14, 2010
I have kids in kindergarten at this school. I am very happy with the academics. The school is strict with their students, but fair. I email frequently with my kids' teachers and they are responsive. Both of my children are advanced so the teachers are giving them advanced work that is designed specifically for them to challenge them. My main complaint about the school is the short notice given to do things (like get a certain outfit for a concert in less then a week when my husband and I both work full-time or there is an in-class play last minute ). I also have a minor complaint with the automated system they use to communicate. There are just too many phone calls with information for this or that. I wish they had a system where I could opt out of the phone calls and receive notification by

Howard Burnham Elementary School
7310 Bishop Flores Drive, El Paso, TX  79912
Last modified Howard Burnham Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Howard Burnham Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top