El Paso Country Day School

Private | PK-8 | 60 students

Student diversity

Living in El Paso

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $134,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $580.

Sweep tile

Posted October 9, 2013

EPCDS is El Paso's hidden academic treasure. My son has attended it for two years and he has advanced more academically than his twin brother who is in gifted and talented programs at the highest rated public schools in El Paso. Though there are other private schools in El Paso with larger student bodies and greater resources, having seen friends' children attend these, I know first hand that EPCDS provides a stronger academic environment. I have referred this school first to anyone who has asked for recommendations as to El Paso private and public schools.

Posted October 8, 2013

I love EPCDS. This is my son's 4th year and he has grown into a great student. They have teachers that really, really care. They encompass what elementary school teachers should be. He used to hate history, now he loves it. He used to read only because he had to and know he reads because he wants to. I strongly recommend this school.

Posted October 5, 2013

I work at El Paso Country Day School as a pre-K teacher. I really enjoy the small school atmosphere where everyone knows each other and wants to be helpful. The director has a strong vision for the school and the administration is very supportive. The teachers are given freedom from constrictive testing and allowed to use their experience and skills to tailor their curriculum to the needs of the students.

Posted October 4, 2013

EPCDS is a terrific academic environment. My daughters attended for 8 years and they were so well prepared when they moved on. The students work well above grade level and enjoy being challenged. Teachers help students take ownership of their education; they make it relevant so the student understands why education is a lifetime of learning.

Posted October 4, 2013

I can't imagine sending my son to any other school in El Paso. It really feels like a family -the teachers know all of the children extremely well and work to make them shine. The academic work is extremely challenging, but the teachers have an amazing ability to make it entertaining and keep the children engaged. Highly recommend this wonderful school!

Posted October 3, 2013

My daughter came into the school a full 2 years behind in reading and math. Due to the small size and caring nature of ALL the teachers, my daughter is at grade level. Many of the kids at EPCDS are well ahead of their grade level, but our family considers our daughter's improvement a near miracle. My daughter's confidence and love of learning, while not setting a world record, has improved to the point that Iris is able to function in school at her grade level. The activities my daughter has always loved, art and outdoor activities, are allowed to flurish through art comptetitions and outdoor camping trips. I am grateful that my family learned about EPCDS; without it, I fear my daughter would have been left to fall between the cracks. Bob Wilson

Posted October 3, 2013

This school is doing an outstanding job of preparing my son to fulfill his potential.

Posted October 3, 2013

This is a wonderful learning environment. Teachers and staff work hard at helping each student reach success. In general, our students are working above grade level! All teachers differentiate their instruction to meet each child's individual needs! It truly is a wonderful place to learn.

Posted October 2, 2013

Very good overall. Differnt approach and a very stong sense of community among teachers, parents and students. NO place is perfect, but this is a very solid choice.

Posted October 2, 2013

This is not your typical El Paso school, thankfully!! The teachers are wonderful. The student body is diverse and the school is one big community of support.

Posted October 2, 2013

I decided to move my son from his private school a week into this semester, and after visiting several other schools (though they were all nice) there was no question in my mind regarding where I would send him. El Paso Country Day School really stood out in the way that they foster critical thinking, creativity and practical application of material taught. The entire staff, including office and administration, takes a hands-on approach, and everyone does their part to shape the children s self-esteem and use of reason, as well as helping them learn to respect and have consideration for others, and other points of view. Discussion is always welcome and encouraged in social and academic subjects, and the children come to their own conclusions and truths, through the use of rationale and logic. Regarding social skills, the staff really shines, leading by example and displaying consideration and courtesy not only to each other and parents, but as well to every child. There truly aren t enough stars for this school. My son and I couldn t be happier. I know that they are helping him develop invaluable life skills and tools that will serve him well through all his years.

Posted July 31, 2013

This summer I started to look for a new school for my son after I felt that he was not challenged at his school. I toured many private schools before going to El Paso Country Day School. The staff answered all of my questions and were very good with my son. The school environment made me feel so comfortable that I did not hesitate and enrolled my son. I felt more comfortable in this school in a few hours than I ever did at my son's former school or the other schools that I visited. When people care about your child, you can feel it.

Posted July 29, 2013

I love this school. My family has been very happy. The teachers are very unique and the school is like a family. It is one of the reasons that I have stayed in El Paso.

Posted April 2, 2013

Our son is in his second year at EPCDS now and it's apparent we have made the right choice (we looked at Radford, St. Marks, Loretto, St. Clements, etc.). For the last year +, we've watched our son excel in his studies and actually WANT to learn. The only problem he struggled with was with one other student who was constantly pestering him and bullying him. We tried to encourage him from our end. Finally, after over a year of this consistent struggle, we looked to the administration for guidance and help. They took immediate action and worked to remedy the situation. I really appreciate that EPCDS not only values excellence in education, but really cares about the safety and well-being (physically, mental and emotional) of our babies. Next year, all of our children will be enrolled at EPCDS. I cannot speak more highly of this school.

Posted April 2, 2013

My child has gone to this school for the last five years and I find the previous post amusing. The school is rigorous and they have a no nonsense policy when it comes to child safety. This is not a social motivation but a genuine concern for the student body. The teachers and administration will dedicate their lives to the students and they go above and beyond what is typical of an educator. I would recommend this school with no hesitation.

Posted February 12, 2013

I am very dissatisfied with this school i've noticed many things in just the first 2 months of my son being enrolled here. 1rst was that the director took my sons USB under suspicion and without telling the parents or him they wiped it of all its contents. It had both personal and school related things. They kept it for a week and 1/2 during this time my son was kept from doing work from two classes since all his work was saved in it. The USB had nothing they suspected that it had. 2nd thing i've noticed was that an email was sent to me saying that because my son has been absent numerous "six times" times since he has been there he will not be allowed to attend his first class. When he was late to class the next time by what was just four minutes they kept him from his class the entire period. Now that day he it was not all his fault since part of it was out of his hands. I've noticed one student walks into school late a little after mine does more than six times, my son has informed me that they have not detained him. 3rd they said if he does not bring in an assingment (which was not done due to other obligations) he won't be allowed to come to school tomorrow.

Posted January 14, 2013

I have been a teacher at EPCDS for quite awhile and I wake up everyday happy to go to work because I believe in the school. The staff genuinely cares about your children like they were our own and it is a great community.

Posted July 11, 2011

My children attend the lower school and have just completed their first year at EPCDS. Their teachers are excellent, engaged, caring, and intelligent. The staff is friendly. I don't know about the cafeteria since I pack lunches, but it is clean each time I visit. The principal/founder is experienced, has a track record of success, and is deeply involved in all activities of the lower school. She may be a bit terse or hard-edged, but I see many strong-minded individuals as being so, driven and focused on the learning process and less about making friends. The results showed externally as well, in the scores my children achieved in national testing.

Posted May 11, 2011

This is a great school, all of the teachers have a wonderful attitude and my daughter is thriving. The philosophy of the school allows for her to learn hands on and she loves it. All of the teachers know all of the students, the administration genuinely cares, and the students all have great diversity leading the school to be well rounded and representative. I could not be happier. I recommend this school to any one.

Posted September 4, 2010

This school is completely unsatisfactory. The teachers do not do there jobs very well. The cafeteria food is served sloppily .Unless you wan't to pay alot of money for nothing or your kids don't want to learn don't go there. A former student

• Dr. Laura Alpern