Bad
Good

I hate it here. There are too many mexicans and all they do is pick on me. I've been here for a year and cant wait to leave

I was proud to have my children attend the schools in Elgin. You can't complain about the schools if you as a parent, or you child/children are not INVOLVED! Get INVOLVED in after school activities, take advantage of what the schools here have to offer and you'll be shocked at how wonderful they are.

I m hoping to go to Anderson next year but again, budget cuts are not benefiting anybody. (Oh, and back to what you were saying about low on supplies? My school is constantly charging students for things that we don t want. Raffle tickets, putting your birthday on a TV in the hallway or in the announcemnets (my old school did this for free, I guess I took it for granted) and Friday events, like dance competitions, hot dog eating contests, and dodge ball tournaments. The events started at a dollar, and now its two, at what point is the school going to stop sucking the student body s wallets? I m sick of this school.) The astroturf statement is true.. we have a WONDERFUL football field, gym, and tennis court, and despite the money-sucking of the student body, we still have only a classroom copy of books in most of my classes. There was one day when we had 5 or 6 fights in the same day, it was a joke to blame the weather. Funny. But because of that, we aren t allowed to use the restroom except during the passing period. Which frankly, being a girl, isn t possible.

I personally enjoyed my son going to this school. He graduated 2 years ago and is still in college. He was in this school district starting in 3rd grade up to graduation day. One thing parents have to do is BE INVOLVED. Teachers don't have the time to spend with problem kids or struggling kids if they think the parent isn't going to work with them. When a parent is involved, the teachers are more involved. My son almost fell through the cracks until I realized what 'I' needed to do and it was amazing how everyone else kicked in to make sure he got the education he needed. Every school has problems, fights, good and bad teachers, good and bad administrations. Elgin is no different.

If you want your child to get an education, I would avoid this school. In fact, I would avoid the entire district. The administration in Elgin is more concerned with sports than they are with education. It has been this way for the last 4 to 5 years, and I don t suspect it will improve until the current set of teachers and administrators are gone. The idea of installing Astroturf seems to be more important than education. This district has very few books, and extremely limited supplies. The high school and middle schools are both plagued with fights. In fact, a fight or two a day is common! While there are a few good teachers, many are not worth the money that they are paid. Most have little interest in the kids. The teachers act as though they are there only to collect a paycheck.

Last modified Elgin High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.