Bad
Good

My family really likes this school. I hAve had children in both the dual and regular classes. Both are great however the parents in the dual program what to make Stark all about them. Stark is a great school because all their classes are amazing not just dual. We should be bragging about everything this great school has for ALL our children. My biggest problem is however is how they are about their uniform policy and saying that it is mandatory whenot years ago it was voted and only passed to be a optional uniform school. The school did not receive enough votes to be mandatory however the school calls parentso because of socks...please. The school needs to be truthful with the families and let them know that truly uniforms for this school is by choice not mandatory. Stark needs to focus on what they are good at and that is educating the students in all classes and parents be happy and proud that all of the students in this school are receiving a great education. You what my children that areally not in the dual program are just as smart as the onesun that are. They are all unique and their own personal and I believe Stark as a whole had some to do with that.

This school has an Excellent Dual language Program that has been well refined over the years.

there is no possibility of me rating this school it's a garbage school do not send your children to the school teachers don't really care the principal is zero will never give you ur rights and forget about the people that direct traffic they have disgusting manners and think they are in the military...so one of the personnel that work there with short white hair and older lady who took a child roughly by the arm because he was late brought my child to school one day and the secretary told me if your child is going to be late you cannot bring him to school at all that day...remember upon entering the school you have absolutely no voice and no rights

Great school with great teachers...the dual language program is the best in the State! So glad it is in my neighborhood!

We chose Stark over our home school. We have children in 3rd and 1st, both in the dual program. To enter dual, you need to "apply" in the Spring before kinder, take an exam in native language and there are limited spots. Call in Dec. to get on the list to be notified when testing starts. Entrance requirements may be different for native Spanish speakers or kids who have been in a dual program elsewhere. Like any dual program, there will be a gap in learning initially but all of the research shows that dual students surpass their monolingual peers if they stick with it. Read the Thomas&Collier research yourself and you will see the benefits to your child beyond simply knowing a second language. We look at it as a "gifted and talented" program for our children although it is not called that. Dual does not exclude participation in the GT program, but our experience is that the GT program "ACE" is limited. PTA is very active, always looking for more volunteers, and offers lots of school events. Communication between the administration and the parents could be improved, but I have always felt heard. We have been happy with our teachers and some have been truly outstanding. Libby Ramirez

I have seen the latest post written about Janie stark, in the last third of the summer- when school hasn't even begun yet. And it leads me to wonder where this random anger is from. And I have to dismiss it. Considering it is two months late. And my children have never been happier with their teachers and subjects. My children are four and seven. And can't be more excited to dive into the Janie stark curriculum. Mind you, people only comment when upset and I have only see one comment. Out of date.. And frankly, out of mind. Janie stark loves my children and my children love Janie stark. And that's all I could ask for, -Elizabeth Martinez

My child has been at Stark since Pre-K and will be going into 1st grade. It was a horrible Kinder year. Three different 1st grade teachers, almost no homework, bullying that was unattended to by the teacher or principal. This school only cares if your child is in the Dual Program. If your child is not in that program, you can pretty much forget it. And it almost seems like it's a top secret society of how you can even get your child involved in it! The teacher even sent home a wish list for Christmas! Really? The library lost books returned and tried to make me pay for them more than once when I know they were returned. My child had pink eye almost the entire year. (She hasn't had it all summer!) I paid for a required T-shirt for a musical and never received it even though my child was sent home a letter saying her participation would effect her grade she received. This school is a joke.

Great school atmosphere with hard working teachers and involved parents. There are many activities and events to keep the students excited about learning.

Janie Stark is an excellent neighborhood school that draws students from all over the district for its Dual Language Program where students are taught in a 50/50 immersion program. The leading dual language experts in the nation visit our school to review its methods and results. We have two children at this school and love the teachers. I don't agree with the negative comments (that are full of grammatical errors) on this site.

The teachers are very hands off and allow the children to fail by not pushing or following up with the children individually if assignments are not turned in. I miss the days when the teachers actually cared about the childs success and not being happy playing the role.

Last modified Stark Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.