No rating

Mary Immaculate Catholic School

Private | K-8 | 515 students

Academic excellence in Catholic and Christ-centered Environment

Living in Farmers Branch

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $126,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted October 3, 2014

Honestly I truly believe the good reviews are made by the staff to trick people into thinking it is a good school in which no way in hell it is I despise this school and every kid that went there I know for a fact hated it to its very core.

Posted April 30, 2014

MIS is truly a wonderful school with dedicated staff and a challenging curriculum. This is our son's first year at this school and it truly feels like being part of a family. They offer so many experiences and programs he could not get anywhere else. It is very family oriented and offer many events that include the whole family. My favorite is the monthly service project where the children bring in items to help local charities. Principal Krause is an outstanding leader. I am so glad we found MIS and look forward to the next 7 years!

Posted April 25, 2014

MIS is simply the best value in the DFW area. The academic rigor, expectation of student performance and behavior, parent involvement, spiritual guidance and sense of community is without parallel. We are proud to have been part of the MIS family for 9 years, and we look forward to a few more. Go, Mustangs!

Posted April 23, 2014

This is our first year at Mary Immaculate and we love it! Our daughter had learn so much and she treasures her friendship with her friends at Mary Immaculate. Teachers are wonderful, just whole community is amazing. We can't wait to enroll her little one in Kindergarten soon. We LOVE MIS!

Posted April 21, 2014

I graduated from Mary Immaculate and it supplied me with countless memories I will always hold dear to my heart. The lower grades proved to be excellent for teaching discipline in order to instill good behavioral habits. As the grades increase, there is a stress placed on academics, yet I believe that the stress is not strong enough to make the high school transition as easy as it could be. Although the teachers need to tailor the classes to each student, I think that it would be beneficial to teach the pupils about the future by supplying them with more difficult tasks. The teachers, however, are absolutely wonderful and qualified, making the lack of challenging work possibly a curriculum problem. The spanish program also could use improvement, for once I got to high school, I was behind in the language department. This was not a huge dilemma, but just a though. Overall, Mary Immalculate was a fabulous foundation, but the academics could use updating to allow more challenging tasks for the students.

Posted February 15, 2014

I graduated from Mary Immaculate School, and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at MIS. The teachers and students are welcoming and that helped make my experience there to be quite enjoyable. The teachers/staff genuinely care about the students. I gained many valuable skills such as: confidence, organization, sociability, and being more assertive when asking questions. MIS is a great school!

Posted January 14, 2014

My family recently relocated to Texas from another state and my children were new to MIS last year. We do not live close to the school, but it is definitely worth the drive. I highly recommend Mary Immaculate School! The school offers opportunities for faith development in the Catholic tradition, academic excellence and personal growth. My two children are very happy here and receiving an excellent education. The teachers are amazing and the other students were very welcoming to us. We definitely feel like we are party of the Mary Immaculate family.

Posted January 8, 2014

Great school! We moved from Dallas to Coppell a couple of years ago. We attended a catholic school in Dallas but had heard the Coppell ISD was incredible so we put our children at Town Center Elementary. After a few short weeks, it was evident the CISD was just another public school district. We found Mary Immaculate and were blessed they were able to accept our children mid semester. My kids were embraced by the staff and students and made to feel welcome. We are very pleased by the rigorous education and loving Catholic environment. The principal, Mr. Krause is terrific and Father Michael is inspiring. Highly recommend. Our children are our best investment

Posted October 14, 2013

In response to the Sept. 16th posting: No child deserves to be bullied. At MIS, every faculty and staff member works to identify bullying when it occurs and put a stop to it as quickly as possible. This is done in a way that respects the dignity of all involved: bullied children are protected and supported, kids who bully are taught more positive and effective ways of interacting, and bystanders are guided and given strategies that empower them to get involved. Each year, MIS brings in multiple speakers to address bullying with our students and faculty including professional speakers from Aim for Success, the Farmers Branch police, and professional counselors. Individual breakout sessions with our staff counselor are also done within various grades, both to prevent bullying and to address issues when problems arise. In addition, peer workshops are held with in conjunction with local Catholic High School students to help our students recognize and respond properly to bullying.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 16, 2013

MIS is excellent in preparing you for high school and great academics. The "lowerclass" students however are bullied much to a point where they don't want to go to school and it affects the academics. The teachers seem like they care about bullying, but when it is right in front of their eyes, they will turn their back like they didn't see it.

Posted June 27, 2013

We just finished our second year at MIS. The teachers are truly interested in each child succeeding. My children look forward to going to school because they enjoy it and have made many good friends. I have also found the parents to be friendly. I'm excited to see our sons grow educationally and spiritually at MIS.

Posted May 7, 2012

we've been at MIS since 2009 and have found it to be a fabulous community! solid spiritual foundation (with a new Dir of Campus Ministry!!), rigorous academics, competitive athletics, fine arts program (art, choir & band), lots of extracurricular opportunities (chess club, girl scounts, boy scouts, Jr Catholic Daughters, etc), dedicated administration & faculty (with VERY low turnover and many years of experience)... becoming part of the community is the best way to meet people and make lifelong friendships...volunteer & serve your school, get your kids involved in extracurricular's...it makes all the difference. no school is perfect, but MIS is doing great things and I'm glad we're part of it! all around a wonderful experience...We love MIS!

Posted January 19, 2012

I have had my 3 children at this school since 1999, and cannot say enough great things about it! The teachers are knowledgeable, dedicated and truly want my students to succeed. Very active parent involvement and strong community spirit. I am very excited about our "new" principal (his second year here) and feel he brings new life and enthusiasm to the school in terms of technology and academics. Go Mustangs!

Posted January 19, 2012

Great school! We had a terrible experience with my childs previous school - MIS has turned him around. It is great to see him excited about school, loving learning and gaining not just academic skill, but organizational and social skills as well. Principle is fantastic! Teachers are Wonderful! I can't say enough great things about this school!

Posted June 10, 2011

I thought Mary Immaculate was a very supportive enviornment. While attending school there, I formed many strong friendships. There was a very tight bond within students, an element I feel is key to an enjoyable school. For the most part, I truly enjoyed going to school each day to see my classmates. The junior high program at MIS is great- each teacher challenges students and prepares them for high school. In addition, I found that many activites and projects completed at MIS were similar to my high school assignments. I will take away many great memories from this school, and the experiences I had will never be forgotten. The only minor issue is that there was a noticeable "click" among parents depending on social class.

Posted November 8, 2010

I have to disagree with the May 27th comment about a highly political environment. I have found Mary Immaculate School to be a warm and welcoming community of supportive parents, devoted teachers and hard working administrative staff. The new principal is off to a strong start and is showing a much needed energy and enthusiasm. I am excited to have my children at this school and...even more important...my children are excited about being there. It's a great school!

Posted May 27, 2010

The teachers are excellent but the committees composed of parents run the school making for a highly political environment. The principle has been fired and they have a new one starting next fall. They are 3-5 years from resolving this issue.

Posted January 30, 2010

We moved our children here this year. And we are very pleased with what we've found. We can speak only for the lower grades, but the curriculum is challenging and teacher turnover is low. The kids and families are very welcoming.

Posted September 3, 2008

Would like more emphasis in the Science and Math fields. Generally Good. Alot of parent involvement. Teaching staff is wonderful. Prinicpal micro-manages everything and is not aproachable. Her way or the highway. Sad

Posted July 10, 2007

My wife and I moved our children to MIS two years ago. We have been very happy with the atmosphere of the school. The academics are challenging and the teachers are very willing to help. There is a very welcoming atmosphere.

Asian or Pacific Islander 7% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Blue Ribbon/No Child Left Behind
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Work of Heart Awards (2 teachers) (2012)
  • Work of Heart Awards (2 teachers) (2011)
  • Work of Heart Awards (5 teachers) (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:20 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:20 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Matthew Krause
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (972) 241-7678

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• csodallas.org/parent-resources/curriculu
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Altar Serving

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom