Flower Mound, TX
Students enrolled: 3,309

Posted May 17, 2014
I've taught in 3 different districts and Flower Mound H.S. has their academics together better than any public school I've been in. They push the kids in the PreAP courses and give them standards to achieve. I disagree with some other comments stating there's no help for struggling students. FMHS offers credit recovery courses, the majority of the teachers are there for tutoring and if not they encourage students just ask one of the other teachers in the dept., the sped kids have inclusion teachers in their rooms with them, they also have SSS for sped students to go to if they need more assistance. Admin enforces PDA rules and dress code rules fairly consistently (which you don't see in other huge 5A high schools). For a school with 3,300 students there could be major problems, but compared to the other schools in Lewisville ISD and other 5A high schools around the area, Flower Mound is where I'd send my kids.

Posted February 26, 2014
This school assumes that every kid learns the same way and that every kid is brilliant. There are NO extra services during school for kids who struggle. NONE. No in-school tutoring, resource rooms, teacher aids, peer tutoring, study hours for homework--NOTHING. The school has over 3300 kids--but just 8 overworked counselors/staff who likewise offer no support.The kids take four (relatively difficult) classes every semester and it's very much sink or swim. STAY AWAY from this school and this district. It's all about awards and accolades and appearances and not at all about the student.

Flower Mound High School 2

Posted February 17, 2013
The school is great for brilliant and gifted students. It offers nothing, though, to help those who struggle. Nothing. They are shuffled aside and ignored. It is incredibly frustrating.

Posted August 03, 2012
I graduated FMHS about 4 years ago. I was in no way prepared for college, because the teachers here simply baby students so they don't upset the rich helicopter parents. The students are spoiled brats. High school was a huge waste of my time.

Posted March 16, 2012
Flower mound is very good if you want academic competition and a dynamic student body. Class ranking among the top here is reserved for the brightest of students and A's in regular classes won't get you above the top 25% without the additional work in pre ap or ap courses. The sports teams are always well funded and facilities are top notch.

Posted June 30, 2011
Flower Mounds focus on excellence is very aparent in all the teachers and counselors we interacted with. The school values and promotes acedemic accomplishments not just athletic. The staff's focus on student sucess and advancement of all students to secondary education is visable in their record of percent of students moving on to college.

Posted February 28, 2011
Sure, being in high school is never fun. At this age, students struggle with self-identity. That being said, I was a student in the graduating class of 2007. As any high-volume school goes, the staffing is typical. I'm not sure about current admins (I have heard that lately it has been lackluster) but admittedly at times it felt like there were too many principals and that they weren t communicating well. Many of the teachers were excellent, though few of them were just ok. I assure you that the teachers are going well above-and-beyond what they are asked to do, and they want to see students excel in their futures. Here I was prepared for college in various ways. My teachers were willing to teach at a higher curriculum level to prepare and challenge students in ways it didn't sound to me like other high schools in the area offer. I believe that block scheduling should be implemented at more high schools. It is at first challenging as a student going from 7periods per day in junior high to 4 periods per day in high school, but many of these students don't notice the difference between their high school schedule and their college schedules in terms of block-curriculum.

Posted December 16, 2010
I am a former student of this school, and I am SO glad I never have to set foot in there again. While the teachers aren't bad, the block scheduling is awful. I hate that they fit a whole year of class into a semester. The cliques are awful - money, popularity, etc. rule the school. At first glance it may not seem so, but after spending all my years in LISD schools, it's a constant thing. If you don't belong to a certain group or hang out with certain people, you're pretty much shunned and have no friends. Luckily I wasn't one of those people, but it always hurt me to see that. If you aren't involved in anything and you don't wear labels and have money, you're pretty much an outcast.

Flower Mound High School 3

Posted September 28, 2010
I have mixed reviews about this school. I have two kids - one attended there briefly and one is currently attending. My daughter who attended briefly struggled at this school. She was a new student and this school was very clique and difficult to fit into. She is also more artistic and this school let's these types slide through the cracks. No support from the Counselors either. We moved her over to ISchool High and her grade point avg. went from 2.3 to 3.2 ....big difference and that says a lot. My son just started there this year. He is academically strong and in all the advanced programs. This school Embraces these types of kids and thus he is doing well and likes it. Basically, if you are not in a group (cheerleader, football player, brainiac group) I think your child would struggle or more artistic.

Flower Mound High School 3

Posted July 26, 2010
Recent administration changes have seen this school go downhill quickly. MANY of the best teacher have left the school for other districts, or dropped out of teaching completely. This new administration is more concerned with controlling the kids and teachers than they are with educating them.

Flower Mound High School
3411 Peters Colony Road, Flower Mound, TX  75022
Last modified Flower Mound High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Flower Mound High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top