Clarke Elementary School

Public | PK-3 | 699 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 16, 2014

My Daughter has been going here for almost a year total now and the problems with the school keep multiplying. Our neighbor's son (5 years old) was dropped off at school inside the building and somehow (Miraculously not the school's fault) managed to walk outside the school, across the drop off lane, through the parking lot and across Comanche Avenue...back into residential housing. The child was unaccounted for until he found his way back home to a shocked mother. Our neighbor stormed back to the school to demand answers and received only belittling comments from the Vice Principal and was told that it was her fault, she was a bad mother and that the school would assume no liability. We reacted normally and took extra steps to make sure the same didn't happen to our 4 year old Daughter and were scolded by staff when we remained near the school until our Daughter was physically received by staff members. Now the tip of the iceberg as surfaced, the school went into lock down, gave no explanation of why and refused to release students to their parents. Under the Texas Penal Code, a parent has the civil right to possession of their child, this right cannot be abrogated.

Posted October 12, 2013

The school principal and vice principal cannot be bothered with parent concerns. My child has been bullied two years in a row at the school and nothing has been done about it. The principal blamed me saying I dropped the ball. When my child got mad after being knocked to the ground he got in trouble for throwing something. They refused to talk to my child with me their, the principal flat out refused, but after I left she apparently with hands on her hips told my son that he was the one at fault

Posted September 20, 2013

When did teachers stop being educators? This school seems to be more concerned with curriculum than education.

Posted May 24, 2013

Clarke Elementary This is by far one of the worst schools that I've seen throught out our 20 year military career. We have 4 children, from high school to elementary, educated through out the country. I was never allowed to meet with the principal to address concerns; only the assistant principal(AP) would be available. After I've meet with the teacher and AP you would think I would be able to meet with the principal. This environment DOES NOT care about educating all of their students. They care about their friendships with their teachers. When I caught up with the AP in the office, one of the office worker ran off to tell the teacher what I was discussing with the AP (How unprofessional) First graders(FG) have homework maybe twice a month, sight words every night. The teacher is inconsiderate and selective about whom they want to educate. FGs are picked up everyday afterschool from the teacher. I would ask what should we work on and can you give us additional worksheets. I was like pulling teeth to get extra worksheets. But when progress report or report cards came out she wanted to fail my child. I have never seen a teacher so intent on seeing a child fail. Shame on you!

Posted January 8, 2013

my kids attended this school in 2008-2009. This is an adequate school, one of the better in the area. I would like to see all the schools on post improved, and I don't mean throwing money at them. I think it would take some stress off of families if the school environment was just a bit better.

Posted April 2, 2012

Unfortunately this school is one that we will be happy to leave. Our first two years were wonderful, my child loved it, and the leadership was responsive and attentive. Then the leadership changed and it went downhill fast. I do feel for the military families that have to have their children enrolled here any time in the near future. There is a considerable disconnect between the military family and what that means to the senior staff here. Complaint processes are drawn out to the point where any resolution occurrs only by means of your child finishing the school year and hoping that the next teacher, problem, bully, didn't follow them to that next grade. If you plan on enrolling your children in Clarke, my best advice (because there are some wonderful teachers here) is to ask the principal specifically what they do when children are subjected bullying and harassment. If you are pleased with the answer, hold them to it. Ask the same questions in regard to the education process (specifically, do they prepare the student for a certain test or do they teach the material so that the child will learn it). I hope your experience will be the same as our first 2 years!

Posted March 21, 2012

Two of my four kids attend this school and I must say they have been so supportive and so helpful. The office staff has been helpful everytime I have had to come in. The teachers both my boys have are great! Mrs Hill has been so wonderful that my 5 yr old now loves the idea of coming to school. My 9yr olds teacher Mrs Dalton is awesome as well, she has token notice of my sons weakensses and has brought up ideas to help him strengthen them. Wish other schools had wonderful teachers like them!

Posted January 24, 2011

i dont like the people in the office they ack like they dont know what there doing. I do like the teachers! its a clean nice school, I like that it only goes to 3rd grade.

Posted July 11, 2008

My 4 kids attended Clarke for 4 years in all grades that the school has, Pre-K thru 3rd grade, one of them attended every grade. The staff is friendly, the teachers are supportive and parents are involved. The CCA (Clarke's version of the PTA) has paid for all the field trips the last 2 school years so that no student is left out. We loved our time at Clarke and miss the staff.

Posted June 16, 2008

I've been happy with the teachers that my children have had (I have 3 children who have been at Clarke). However, overall, I can't wait for my kids to be at another school. The front office staff is rude and act like it's terrible to help a parent with a question. Everything for the 3rd grade is solely based on the TAKS test. Once the tests are done, the learning/teaching seems to stop.

Posted February 27, 2008

Caring teachers but administration is not very helpful or concerned. School seems to focus on nothing more than the students passing the TAKS test. There is a talented program for above average students but there is nothing truly advanced about the classes that challenge the students.

Posted February 19, 2006

I have had three children attend this school. All of my children have been successful regardless of which teacher they had. The school is very aware of the problems that come from a military family and they are great at support for them. I have had some frustration with the front office workers, such as with changing pick-up policies and rudeness. Yet, overall I have no doubt that this school as the children's education as thier first priority.

Posted February 15, 2006

This School Is great. It is one of the best in the area, the children are given many avenues to excell and grow. The parental involvement here is good and is getting better every day. This year the CCA (PTA) has make a big difference with parent and staff teamwork.

Posted October 22, 2005

I loved this school. The teachers were always willing to talk to you about any problems or concerns they had about your child. All three of my children went to this school and we so sad that we had to move away. One of the best Killeen has to offer.

Posted October 27, 2004

My child just began school here at Clarke this year. The staff is very rude I don't like talking to them. The school expectations of the student is not down to earth. I see why by the scores. To explain the school puts more pressure on the children to learn things that are not even their grade level. At Clarke they are more interest in their score as a school then the student.

Posted May 28, 2004

My daughter attended clarke for 3years. the staff was courteous and knowledgeable. The parking was horrible and the after school care was disorganzied. over all we enjoyed our stay at clarke. The additional build over the summer will be a much needed improvement

Posted May 12, 2004

This school is chaotic when it comes to depositing and retrieveing the children: unsafe doesn't even begin to describe it. The teachers we have dealt with are condescending towards the parents and tuned out of the needs of the children.

Posted June 11, 2003

Overall a great school. Very committed to the military child. The only thing that I think could change is the free time the children get. It seems that they do alot of work but hardly any free play is allowed. My children all loved this school and the faculty. There always seemed to be something for them to do and the students are recognized when they make the right choices not beat down for making the wrong ones. Attention is brought to the positive things students do. As the parent of a very unpredictable child I really enjoyed that fact. When a mistake was made it was not dwelled on but learned from and then put behind you. We really enjoyed our time at Clarke!

Posted May 3, 2003

I loved the school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

132 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2011

2010

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

133 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2011

Limited English proficient (LEP)100%
Proficient in English87%
Non-migrant88%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

Non-migrant71%
Non-Gifted68%
Bilingualn/a

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian 3% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Ms Laura Dart
Fax number
  • (254) 539-3542

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now