Smith Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 624 students

Posted June 8, 2014

I am a student. I am in the class of 2013-2014. My opinion is that it is better for the students to write reviews because I went to the school. I love this school. I am an 8th grader and I came during 7 grade. Honestly there is a lot of cliques at the school but no gangs. Although, at the end of the day we all love each other and are all going through the same thing. On my last day of school EVERYONE cried. The school year ended way to fast!!! Your child will love it and it is a place for everyone to fit in and enjoy the year. I encourage you to at go this school ... Trust me you will have tons of good and bad memories just like me. I just graduated from 7 grade. And this school feels like my 2nd home. You can be yourself! Sports are very cool you should try out! Education is really important also. For example, if you are bad in math you can go to Leopard Academy. If you are a honors student let the counselor know and you will be put in a class great for you. Hop this helped :)

Posted July 19, 2013

I went to this school in 2011. And I loved it! I had lots of fun it was easy to learn, and we had lots of cool projects, and there was so many activities we could do, and I had the coolest teachers! And everyone was really nice

Posted July 18, 2013

This school sucked. Its was really bad I went here 2011-2012 and the teachers had never gaven me work to do when i ask for the work they just say shut up and sit down. Then they on purpose held me back. Teachers dont teach or discipline the students. They try to control the bullying but dont do a good job about it. So this school is not that good.

Posted March 7, 2011

I am a student at smith middle school & it's real fun , haha . it's crazy everyday the teachers are amazing & everyone gets along . its kinda lame at times. but, thats only if you don't make the most of it . and the teachers care alot , & i love someone here too. its L I V E !

Posted January 1, 2011

I attended Smith Middle School in 98-99. I LOVED that school, the ppl and the teachers way more than the school I moved to which sucked. I dont know how the school is now but when I attended sure there were some incidents but all in all I had a wonderfun experience making great grades and was part of the national jr honor society and the teachers were AMAZING!!! Sometimes I wonder how my life would have turn out if I never moved. Definately an ode to SMS, GO LEOPARDS FOREVER!

Posted December 7, 2010

This is my daughter's second year at Smith. Teachers are my gripe. I just do not feel they have the credentials they SHOULD have, and wish they would use the English language correctly. Once again this year I do not feel my child is learning much. Thinking of homeschooling again!

Posted May 31, 2010

I am a student at smith middle school and most of the time it is a honor to be at that school.But sometimes it can be pretty annoying.

Posted April 22, 2010

I was a student at sms it is the best school ever i wanna go back

Posted March 11, 2010

I have to comment on the screaming/yelling. The first day I enrolled my child, we were given a tour by another student. I was shocked by the number of classrooms that we walked by with screaming and yelling 'shut up' and such from the teachers. Students were walking out of the classroom. It appeared out of control. I was hoping that this was not normal; however, I had to check my child out on another occasion and a teacher was standing in the hallway (not far from the office) and was screaming negative comments. I realize students can be overwhelming, but it doesn't seem to be the most effective method of management. I have taught middle school for 8 years, but I have never seen that level of disorder. I personally witnessed these two incidents, as well as a couple of others. I have heard worse, but didn't witness the incidents.

Posted March 8, 2010

i used to be a student as sms. i have transferred to a school out of state, and i must say that Smith is a much better school than i currently attend. sms was the first school on a military base that i have attended and i wish that all schools could be like smith middle. the sports and teachers are very interactive. there also a variety of things to engage as far as extracuricular activities. -Asya Moton

Posted September 5, 2009

This is one of the best middle schools that you can find on base...i am a student i love this school the teachers are nice so stop hating the school if student like it then why aren't parents liking it!?

Posted July 31, 2009

Smith Middles school staff is very caring and provided the children with enrichment experiences. The guidance counselor really provide many group counseling session to help the studenta with deployment and transittioning . This is a great school .

Posted July 23, 2009

Well i am a smith middle school student and i well be attending there next year .Smith is a very good school to be in but they have there days when i just dont want to come because of all the yelling the teachers be doing.

Posted November 19, 2008

I was a student of SMS last year the teachers are great but their is alot of fights

Posted July 2, 2008

Thank you for a fair assessment of the current situation at our school. There are problems that exist on our campus, but there are probably some issues that need addressing at most public middle schools. The teachers and administration truly have the best interest of the students at heart.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 16, 2008

This school was awesome when I attended it in 2005. I had alot of help with m,y special needs. These people who are puting bad reports here need to re look at things. Maybe its their child who needs help. My favorite Teacher was Ms. Valda Steele.Unfortunately she had gotten cancer and I have not heard from her in a while. I hear from other students that were my friends she is doing ok as far as they know. Ms.steele I miss you

Posted February 27, 2008

This is the most horrible school my child has ever attended and being military that is more than his share for being in only the sixth grade. The teachers do not care nor do they concern themselves with the student's well-being. While there have been a couple of teachers who seem to be concerned the ones who pay no attention are the ones who teach the core subjects.

Posted November 30, 2007

Im a student at Smith Middle School and I think it is a wonderful school!The teachers are great and they want to teach you what you need to learn before the TAKS test.The staff is very supportive.They have a great band program and a great sports program.Maybe the teachers need more control over the eighth graders and some of the sixth graders but other than that its a great school!

Posted September 27, 2007

My child is now a seventh grader at Smith MS. I feel very confident that he is receiving quality education. It saddended me to have read such horrible reviews about the teachers. I believe that parents are the key to success in education. While teachers are there to bestow the skills and knowledge upon our children, parents have the responsibilty to send their children to school with an attitude that teachers can work with.

Posted July 30, 2007

Last year my son was in the sixth grade at Smith. He did well but I don't think he was really challanged. The thing I worried about the most was bullying. There were a lot of problems with this. Most of my sons problems happened during P.E. class. I think the school needs to pay more attention to these incidents. The bullying children seem to always get off with little or no punishment. This is why I may not send my son back to Smith next year. The only reason I would send my son back to Smith is becuase I hear the seventh and eighth grade teachers are very good, and the older students I know there seem happy. Perhaps it is because they don't have to take P.E. where most of the bullying tends to happen.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

257 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

253 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

206 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

204 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

209 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

208 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

208 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

201 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

197 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students83%

Not special education86%
Limited English proficient (LEP)80%
Not migrant84%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

208 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

204 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

212 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

206 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

216 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

199 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

197 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students75%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Gym

• CHAD WOLF
Fax number
  • (254) 532-1247

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options