Venable Village Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 534 students

Living in Fort Hood

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $89,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $810.

Posted March 7, 2011

2010-2011 school year. We're VERY disappointed.The principle Mrs. Potvin is not up to my standards of a near adequate leader. Parent involvement here is zero because the principle and teachers discourage parent involvement, not sure why exactly. They request a background check (which is fine) but and even then after you pass you are not even allowed to eat lunch with your child or attend field trips. No PTA. My child I would say is bright but the curriculum here is a joke! Last time I checked, our children are to attend school for EDUCATION not babysitting...I want to be involved, I want my child to grow and soar academically, that is NOT going to happen at this school, I believe if we continue here! I believe the principle is the reason for this failed school and when the principle is the problem there is no luck in trying to solve it. As well as the office staff is in need of many things on being friendly, attentive and maybe they should try and check ID's more often, I mean if you wont let the parents even eat lunch or participate in class because of "SAFETY" (excuse) then maybe you should try and ID when someone picks up a child.

Posted December 17, 2010

After my kids attending Meadows Elementry for 2 years and getting harrassed daily and beat up. Teachers bullying and teachers favoring bullies. Also teacher not teaching, this school has been a huge relief. I love the care that the faculty takes of the children and the responsibility they take in the childs education. I consider myself extremely lucky that my kids now go here.

Posted November 19, 2010

I am very unhappy with this school! The principal is not a people person, she doesn't know how to talk to her parents. My daughters have contacted a number of different illnesses from this school, including scabies. The staff does not know how to talk to or treat parents, and the parking is absolutely absurd! I do not recommend this school. They don't even send letters home letting parents know whats going around in the classrooms. Nasty!!!!

Posted July 14, 2010

My son has been attending Venable Village since he started school, so far things have been WONDERFUL! He has excelled in every grade and he will be starting 4th grade in a "cluster class". This will be his 2nd year in one. So far we've had positive experiences with both staff & students. My son had a few issues with other children on the bus a time or two throughout his time at this school, but I can honestly say that each time the situation was handled by the driver (immediately)and then by the principal the very next day! I love this school and hope to stay in the area long enough for our son to finish elementary here!!!!

Posted March 26, 2010

My family moved to Fort Hood in the Summer of 2009 and my daughter wast starting first grade at Venable Village. My daughter did not like the school at all. The teacher was not friendly at all. I asked to have a conference with the principle and when I went up to the school, she told the office personnel to tell my husband and I that she could not see us. I took my daughter out of the school. I spoke to other parents in our neighborhood and they said their kids did not care for the school either!!!

Posted September 19, 2009

we have had a great experience with this school so far. My son first started out in PPCD there and now has moved to inclusion. His teachers have been very caring and very on target with his needs. He has come such a long way and transformed into such a great little individual with all of the help he's gotten! They have been great with communication as well!

Posted June 4, 2009

Im upset that both my children's test scores have dropped greatly upon moving here. My children have been attending the school since last year. My son is verbally bullied by the other children constantly. If I had a choice I would of had them attend they would attend a different school.

Posted May 28, 2009

My son has been going to V.V.E.S. since 2005 and I love everything about this school. The teachers and staff really showed a genuine interest in my son and his education. You can tell the teachers are there because they love to teach!!!

Posted May 27, 2009

My kids have been going to this school since '04 and i have always been pleased with the school and it's great teachers. :)

Posted April 17, 2009

This school is wonderful my child has impored with mrs.Haygood.

Posted January 27, 2009

Thank you , this school is just great! Both my daughters love to go there.

Posted November 14, 2007

We are new to the Killeen area and are very fortunate that our children are enrolled at Venable Village Elementary School. Both of my children have been blessed with two wonderful teachers, my son is in Mrs. Steen's Kindergarten class and my daughter is in Mrs. Garcia's 2nd Grade class. These two teacher's communicate so well with us and for that I am thankful. The school has made my children's transition very easy and welcoming--Thank You!

Posted October 22, 2007

My husband and I both love this school. We've had great experiences dealing with the staff, the school itself is very clean and tidy, they're great at keeping the parents up to date on what's going on in the classrooms, the staff knows who all the kids are and are very attentive and alert as to what is going in their school and with their kids. I couldn't ask for a better school for my kids.

Posted June 20, 2006

Great atmosphere, I have encountered some great teachers, disappointed at the level of requested parent involvement in the classroom.

Posted May 28, 2004

I cannot say enough good about this school! I have had 3 children attend this school, and it has been a wonderful experience. The only reason my elementary age children will no longer attend Venable is because we have moved. As with any school, there are a few staff members that may not be the best, but on the whole, the entire staff is wonderful and caring. The administrative staff has always been extremely helpful. The parent liason, Mrs. Poindexter, is simply awesome! The parent involvement at this school has the potential to be awesome under the guidance of Mrs. Poindexter. It is unfortunate, that in a school with a fairly large enrollment, that there is hardly any parental involvement, save for the same few parents year after year. I would highly recomment this school for anyone whose child(ren) has the oppprtunity to attend.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

74 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

74 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

50 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

50 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

54 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students96%

Not special education100%
Proficient in English98%
Non-migrant98%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students92%

Proficient in English66%
Non-migrant63%
Non-Gifted58%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 3% 4%

• CYNTHIA POTVIN
Fax number
  • (254) 519-5632

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now