Venable Village Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 534 students

Living in Fort Hood

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $89,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $810.

Posted June 11, 2014

I just got out of 5th grade on June 5,2014. It was such a awesome learning experience for me!

Posted April 26, 2014

My son has gone to Venable Village for 2 years now, Pre-K, and K. I give his Kindergarten teacher 5 stars, she has a genuine interest in the kids, and reaches out to parents. However, the principal and administrative staff in the office are awful. When you walk in the office you are greated with attitude and unpleastantness - unexpected and shocking for an elementary school. You would think it would be pleasant and friendly, but never once have I been greated with anything close to that. The closed campus is weird and off-putting. How can a parent not be able to visit their child at school or eat lunch with them?? I can't wait to PCS. If it weren't for my sons Kindergarten teacher I would have tried to move or pull my kid out. This is not the case for all the teachers, I have heard horror stories about other teachers.

Posted January 6, 2014

Loved this school. The best teacher and staff. we just moved and already miss this wonderful school and staff.

Posted August 20, 2013

Venable Village is a newer school.... My child has done very well, and the teacher seems exceptional, with a very genuine interest in his well-being. My only complaint, is what other reviews have already touched on---- 'the unfriendly' office. Just the looks I get, I feel like I am in trouble when I walk through the doors. I wish it was more of a friendly, smiling, happy feeling, but it isn't. - Also, I think the not allowed to eat with your child if you wish is kinda strange. Have a special table so it is not a distraction- maybe just for birthdays, or special occasions... Loosen up a bit. geez.

Posted June 6, 2013

Front staff is rude. The teachers are okay but really strict which is not for every child. Any behavior that is not good behavior gets the child written up. Some kids need more instructions and they don't give that to them. They rather punish a child instead of teaching them. The school is in relatively new shape compared to other schools we have seen. The parent drop of in the mornings is nice for those who need to rush off to work but would like to walk my kids into the school. The parent pick up is horrible unless you go 30-40 minutes before school gets out its hard to find parking. And people are rude parking side ways instead of straight in and out to get more cars in. Kids get walked out at different times never the same time daily and often the bell rings when we are getting in our vehicles. There is a walking trail but its over a mile to the school and there are bugs/bees/wasp on the way home. Parent's are not allowed in the school only in the office and then escorted into the bldg after signing in. They have volunteers but very limited not seen any PTA involvement since we have been here. Can't wait to move so my kids can be educated.

Posted April 23, 2013

When my kids started 3 years ago it was a pretty nice school. One day I had to pick my child up about 20 min early because she had hurt herself. As I was leaving the parking lot, a teacher aid stopped me to inform me that the parking lot was closed between the hours of 2:45-3:30 or somewhere close to those times. I explained to her that I was there before the time that it closed and it was because my child was injured. She told me it doesn't matter what I was there for or what time I got there if the parking lot is closed then it is closed and she was rude about it. I contacted the principle to inform her and all the principle said was that it was too bad that the teacher's aid wasn't as nice as I would like her to be. I recently had a another concern and contacted the principle to assist me with it. When I was voicing my concern in a very respectful way because I do understand I had fault she was very rude and didn't even let me finish my 2nd sentence! I asked her not to interrupt me because I wasn't done but she kept talking. The principle and office staff keep getting more disrespectful as the years come. I will say that all of the teachers have been wonderful.

Posted September 7, 2012

I love this school! My child was in Kindergarden las year and is now in first grade. I am so sad to have to leave this school in about a month because we are moving. I wish we could take this school with us!!!

Posted September 7, 2012

If you want to send your child to a punitive, military environment then send them to this school. I had lunch with my kids and couldn't believe the drill sergeant atmosphere. Also, there is no accountability for the unprofessional behavior of the teachers. We are currently looking for another place to live to get our kids out of this school.

Posted July 30, 2012

This school is #1 for a reason! My daughter went here for pre-k and had mrs.ibarra. She loved her teacher and the school. The principal is very informative and nice. The councelors are there for you. I am moving this year to another neighborhood but am going to be driving the distance to say at this school!

Posted July 14, 2012

My son went to this school for Pre-k and Kindergarten. Don't get fooled by the exemplary rating. The principle advocates for the teachers and not the parents. The only skill she has is talking too much! No one is holding the teachers accountable. It's always the parents fault. The only good thing going for this school is the school counselor. It takes Zeus to just have lunch with my son. The "discipline" secretary is unfriendly, rude, and is a good example of my impression of this school. It is extremely militarized with kids walking at parade rest and act as though they have a "bubble" in their mouth as to not talk. Mrs. Cooper, although overwhelmed with the extravacant number of students in her class, was described as "mean" by my son and that "she screams a lot". I went to a B-day party of one of my son's classmates and the parents said similar things. I want a school environment that reinforces my child's positive attributes and not constant ridicule to him just being a typical 6-year-old. As a matter of fact, I am moving out of Pershing Park into a better school district where parent involvement isn't riduculed and teachers won't label my child as an imp.

Posted June 2, 2012

I love this school and hope the next school my daughter goes to can match up to this one! We are ETSing and I'm nervous because we enjoyed the teachers, the staff, the learning process and the safety of the school. My child has excelled tremendously. I was a volunteer for several months and was able to witness the workings inside the school. All of the staff I encountered were professional, helpful, and truly had a love for the children they taught. They find creative ways to help children with all sorts of learning techniques. These teachers completely bless my heart. I have personal reasons to love the security at this school as well. Hopefully our next school will be this great!

Posted April 25, 2012

the school is the worst ....they dont do anything to help stop or prevent the bullying on the kids...these children are not soldiers! you want the kids to respect you .how about respecting them as well as their parents...and not talk down to them (parents) like they are idots...the prinicpal also needs to just retire she is a joke...there are a couple teachers that i think are awesome ...but overall i wouldnt recommend this school for nothing

Posted March 25, 2012

I have been very happy with this school. The exemplary rating is not due to teaching only the TAKS test. My children have experienced a well rounded educational program at Venable. The staff has always been friendly and concerned about my children and family. Venable Village is one of the best schools in the Killeen/Ft Hood area.

Posted February 29, 2012

***I really don't understand what these people are talking about! Also one of the rules in this website is that you can't name teachers and personnel*** I'm a military spouse and I have moved several times, so I know a difference between a good and bad schools, and school personnel. This is the best school my children have gone to. One of my boys was in special ed, ( AUTISM) these especially are the best teachers and IEP/ ARD team you could ever dream of. Experienced, dedicated and they love children. They are so good that my son ( we moved again) got a IEP meeting to review his status and his progress was so amazing that it got dismissed = he doesn't need special education anymore. I OWE THIS TO MY SPECIAL ED TEACHER AND THE TEAM TO HELPED THIS HAPPEN. THEY MADE THIS POSSIBLE FOR MY SON, WITHOUT THEM HE WOULD NEVER SPOKE. HE IS A REGULAR STUDENT IN REGULAR CLASSROOM EDUCATION. THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF AND SINCE I CAN'T NAME, THANK YOU, MY DEAR BELOVED TEACHER, SPECIAL ED TEACHER = MRS. G*****

Posted January 29, 2012

The last years I would say that I was satisfied with the school but this year I encountered a big problem. My daughters teacher was extremely rude and unkind to the children. If my daughter did her homework for the next night on accident, I stead of the teacher just giving her praise for being ahead, she would literally erase my daughters homework and make her do it again. Also, during the middle of the year, my daughter came home telling me that her teacher already told the class the three names of the students that would not be going to pass to the second grade!!! Talk about privacy! Also my husband had a car accident and my daughter was absent from school that day. When she was approached by her teacher asking how come she was absent the day before, my daughter told her and instead of showing compassion and concern to my child she said... "that is no excuse for you to stay home.". It made me sick to hear my daughter say that to me while crying her eyes out because her teacher humiliated her in front of the class. When I took her out and told the principal, she acted like nothing was wrong in her eyes with her staff... Horrible!!!

Posted January 25, 2012

Office lady that signs children in and out is a complete WITCH. Very sarcastic and unfriendly. My child has many appointments for medical reasons and every time I sign her out she snickers " oh, wonder what it is for this time." Plus my child is singled out by teacher. If two kids are caught talking, only mine seems to be written up. Plus I have requested extra tutoring and my countless requests have gone unanswered. Teacher talks down to me during meetings, and says she has to bring "her class" down to my childs level once a day to get my child to work on same level as class. Worst part was it was said infront of my child. My child is denied requests to see nurse and today had a bloody nose and my child was to scared to ask teacher to see nurse. I am also not allowed to eat with my child and have been denied an observation day. DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL. I will be switching ASAP.

Posted November 14, 2011

Awesome school !!! My kids went there from pre-k all the way through 5th grade with no problems. I miss all the wonderful teachers. couldn't ask for a better school.:)

Posted September 29, 2011

My daughter went to school here in Pre-K and 1st grade and she excelled! She struggled the year before but this school has such a wonderful and caring staff and I couldnt have asked for more! My only dislike was the pick-up process at the end of the day. Its so hot there and to have to park down the street and then stand outside was horrible for not only me but the kids.

Posted April 14, 2011

The parents are NOT allowed to eat meals with their children. This is the ONLY school in the entire district with this closed door policy. Parents are not allowed to have any input in their children's education. If any complaints are put forward the parent is automatically blamed. The students that are dropped off in the morning are locked outside the school and left unattended for 5 minutes every morning. The Principal has instructed that the staff is not to let them in the building until 7:30, but the drop off time in the student hand book, letters home, and the "Tuesday" folder all state drop off time is 7:25. The District has been made aware of this but refuses to do anything about it. The school has not sent home or advertised ANY change in the school policy regarding drop off times. this started in Jan. 2011. Bullying is a HUGE problem at this school and nothing is ever done about it. Some of these poor kids go home an emotional wreck everyday. If I could leave zero stars for principal leadership I would. I put 1 star for parental involvement because they are not allowed to be involved.

Posted March 12, 2011

The principal is the biggest problem in this school. She s does not care about the students and parents. The teachers and staff are very disrespectful. They do not like parents with high education standards for their children. My child is learning absolute nothing but the TAKS test twice a day. I know now why the school is receiving exemplary school recognition because of grades on the TAKS test, that s all they seem to teach. We went to talk to the principal about my child not getting hardly any homework and taking any test, and the principal answers that is not important if my child is doing good at school and she always answers with We Are An Exemplary School . Parent s involvement not allowed this is very suspicious. I feel that kids are not really learning anything here at this school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

74 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

74 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

50 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

50 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

54 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students96%

Not special education100%
Proficient in English98%
Non-migrant98%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students92%

Proficient in English66%
Non-migrant63%
Non-Gifted58%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 3% 4%

• CYNTHIA POTVIN
Fax number
  • (254) 519-5632

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now