Bad
Good

Posted December 07, 2015
Principal creates a stressful and threatening atmosphere for his vice-principal, teachers and students. Teachers have little to no input. Lots of unnecessary testing and little to no paper and pencil work that will be needed to be successful in upper grades.Principal does not value his teachers' opinions. Teachers are afraid to speak up or ask for a transfer for fear of retaliation. Concerned about how many excellent teachers have left. Holding meetings after school before holidays and not allowing teachers a 30 minute lunch becomes stressful. The "Gotcha" enviorment becomes stressful. Unfortunately the stress is passed down to the students.

Posted June 26, 2015
Wonderful school. Our daughter has had nothing but the best experience here. Mr. Basham and his great staff command the respect of the students, but not so much in the overbearing, authoritarian way. They actively refer to the kids not as "students" but "friends". PE teacher Coach Leach stands out in particular as another who interacts with all the kids, who love him. He's very active in the school's programming. Good music and art programs. STRONG PTA is very active and runs enough small projects that major fundraising (selling fruit, chocolate, wrapping paper) is not necessary. We'll be very sorry and will miss this school when we leave.

Posted February 18, 2015
My son is in Kindergarten here and we have had a wonderful experience. The Principal and assistant principal communicate clearly schools news, upcoming events and programs and are always there with a welcoming smile. My son's teacher (Mrs Trautman) is excellent, she's hard working and manages the workload and class really well. I couldn't wish for a better teacher and my son loves her. She has instilled in my him a real love of learning and a yearning for knowledge in a safe learning environment, what more could you ask for!

Posted August 04, 2014
INDEPENDENCE:My 2 children returned last year and it was 200% better than the previous years. I actually withdrew my children under the previous principal and really have enjoyed the empact Mr. Basham has made on the entire school. He is a lot more strick, in ways : no end of school party or farewell to retiring teachers , removed monkey bars- too dangerous? May have been a school district thing? He has created an atmosphere of uniting together with the parents, teachers and students a community of OUR students and OUR responsiblitiy to help and look after each other. He keeps paper to a minimum and I enjoy not getting millions of extra fliers from various organziations that may not be of interest: but we always have access: on-line links, or at the front office. ;) Teachers adapt to change and some like this new principal and get along well, others are ok, others don't like how strick he's come down: like not having younger siblings help during a school volunteer situation: library, volunteering in the class or even if you are going on a field trip you cannot bring siblings or you can only watch your child... this MAY be a district guideline, but it has ruffled a lot of people.

Posted September 16, 2013
Blue bonnet Elementary: this is my son, second year. He loves this school and so do I. The principal is always present and accessible. His teacher is amazing. It's only about a month into the school year and his reading has improved immensely.

Posted May 16, 2013
WORS SCHOOL EVER! this school was a nightmare. Starting from simple thing - no one says hello! Our teacher were to busy with her 4 kids and her own life, not even to mention that she pointed that if we will see any misspellings in her emails, just to take it as is since she's a bad speller. All info we got or day before or morning at the day of the event. To many excuses from principal assistant and in the end to hard to get conference with the principal it self, unless you go strait to KISD.After all spending 2 h getting to no point got pointed to my face about differences in the culture by the principal(I'm from Europe)and that everything will be ok, on the next day I get official letter that my son uncontrollable after he got concussion at the school (about which one I never got strait story) I spend month and a half coming to school 2 time a day to make sure that my son not will get hurt or left somewhere how they did once and horrifying how irresponsible and disrespectful IES it is to parents and students. We spend just 2 months in this school and got transferred after all. just be careful and make sure you don't ask too many questions as I did to get your child in a trouble.

Posted April 25, 2012
Wow! What a great school! The teachers and principal are top notch! This is by far the BEST school in KISD!

Posted April 25, 2012
Independence Elementary is an AMAZING school! The principal and office staff are very friendly and helpful. The teachers are amazing and care deeply for their students. As a parent, I HIGHLY recommend IES!!!

Posted May 09, 2011
Independence is a Great School because it has dedicated, caring teachers that are willing to do what it takes to support student success. There are after school activities provided by teachers volunteering their time. Music Zvakanaka, theater club, PE Moving Mavericks, Art Club, several book clubs for different ages and interests, and much more.

Posted March 24, 2011
This is our daughter's first year here as a second grade student and we are so dissapointed in this school. The principal hides behind her computer and sends out emails instead of getting involved with the kids and parents at school functions. When I did see her at one of the MANY fundraising functions, I had no idea who she was until she came on stage to lecture the children about throwing trash away! (I had to ask someone who she was)Not even an introduction or a comment about the great support the school was getting from all the students and parents attending. Since that time, I have seen her in the school hall or office and she never speaks or makes eye contact with anyone. Every parent I have talked to about her expresses how uninvolved and cold she is. How is it possible that she remains a principal at an elementary school? The teachers are for the most part new teachers and it shows in their teaching skills. Once this year is over, we certainly will not all our daughter to return....even if it means moving out of the district.

Independence Elementary School
11773 Bray Birch Drive, Fort Worth, TX  76244
Last modified Independence Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.