North Side High School

Public | 9-12 | 1609 students

Posted September 14, 2014

Stop saying this is a good school. I'm a sophomore right now and so far I'm not enjoying my time. Why? The teacher quality is starting to become worse from before. In biology class I had this teacher where he only lets is talk and use our phones. He also puts his personal problems towards us so I never get to learn a single thing in biology. I have honors world history and my teacher only gives out assignments. Of course I'm deer mine to get good grades but we don't do notes at all. Plus I'm in AVID II and we had a female mid age teacher but unexpectedly she quited. The reason why we have poor teaching is because the students. Their lazy bums and I won't learn anything if there isn't a teacher. I don't feel comfortate in the campus either. We had been attacked by Amon Carter Riverside with grafiti and the area smells like sewers. I don't feel safe in this area. I want to move schools now!!

Posted June 15, 2014

I am a current North Side student and I can honestly say that this school is the best! The amount of respect at this school is very high and the students value each other with such an admiration it is impossible to describe. The teachers love and care for each and every one of their students. Although people who want to hate on this school spread rumors that only gangsters and druggies come here, in reality this school is full of bright, respectful students who WANT to have a future ahead of them. This school has been labeled badly by people who have never even attended this school. From my own experience, I am proud to say that I made a very wise decision in choosing this school rather than Trimble Tech or Arlington Heights. North Side High School promises a bright future for every student who wants one. I am proud to be a steer and I am positive that every one else at this school is proud also.

Posted April 15, 2014

I feel the education and substantial excellence of the students who put forth in this great school make it the best to be. I have been here for three years now and i have had the opportunity to expand myself in great programs both educational and social. There are many great people and teachers that aren't here just for work, but to help you accomplish for the future. My final thought has to be for the great memories made here that help me strive for my dream for the future. Thank You North side the great school that pushed me to do better. - Proud Student

Posted September 25, 2013

I like to thank all the Teachers that put their hart into these students. Being a teacher requires a lot of patience, y'all are definitely a blessing!!! Thank You.

Posted April 18, 2013

I have a algebra that gives work sheets and expects his students to know the information.I feel like I've wasted time in this class I struggle to keep my grade up in this teachers class.

Posted April 3, 2013

As an Educator with a career of over 15 years in public education. I enjoy working at North Side high School. I have worked at larger and smaller schools. The student population is receptive to learning, most of the student are very respectful. The administration goes a very good job at this school. I look forward to teaching here for many years.

Posted April 28, 2012

I wouldn't be a teacher here because I would be scared to get shot! Stop saying it's a great school if it's surrounded by a bad neighbor hood and the school is full with gangsters!

Posted June 10, 2011

When I went to Northside they cut two of my classes because there was no room left. So I had 2 hours free of class every day when I could of been placed into a class to earn credits. I felt discouraged and eventualy dropped out. I know they have added classes but I know I wouldnt want my kids to attend Northside High School.

Posted November 24, 2009

I went there from 9th to 11th grade and had a great time! There are great teachers that teach there! This is a great school!!!

Posted December 30, 2008

I have taught at North Side for many years now and there is one thing I know for sure... the students are the best!! I show up every day to help the students learn as much as possible and excel to the highest degree. I agree with the other teacher's review concerning the lack of administration. The dress code is not enforced, the tardy policy is laughable, and the teacher morale has completely bottomed-out. So why do we all keep working there??? The students!!

Posted October 30, 2008

I love north side.....The jrotc program is the best i suggest you take that class because you learn many things. Students dont want to be in that class because of the uniform i do feel comfortable wearing my uniform and i always feel proud of myself!

Posted October 13, 2008

The honors kids at North Side HS are the best. I suggest you take honors if youre at North Side,otherwise its not so good.

Posted October 10, 2008

North Side i can say is a great school. Teachers try their best to help us academically. The principal is awesome, she does not baby us i dont know what your talking about if anything alot of student, teachers and staff are real close and that's what makes North Side feel like home. I could not have picked a better school to attend. Go North Side!!!!!!!! Whoooo!!.

Posted May 28, 2008

I think northside is a great school despite what other people say. I hear people say that northside has a lot of gang violence, i don't know what northside they're talking about but its not this one. i feel very safe here this might not be the best school around,but its also not the worst. My teachers do everything they can to help us pass and most students do improve their grades. If the student doesn't pass its their fault not the teachers. Mrs. Dean is a great primcipal she also does everything she can so that all her students pass. I love northside and i wouldn't go to any other high school. Go Steers!!!!!

Posted March 27, 2008

Students run the school. The dress code is not enforced. The principal babies the students rather than teaching them to be responsible young adults. Grades are inflated so that the principal doesn't harass the teachers. The school is poorly run.

Posted March 11, 2008

i think northside is the greatest school thats has ever been around...

Posted January 30, 2008

I do not feel this school is academiclly challenging. The teachers and staff [are] working v[ery] hard but some students make the school bad, no desire to learen.

Posted September 7, 2006

I think its a good school not the best but its my home so go nhs

Posted June 19, 2006

I am an alum at the magnet program at this school. The thing that most stands out is that I felt very safe and at-home at North Side. The academic level is not the highest, but the sincerity from teachers is present.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 10, 2005

I do not feel this school is academically challenging
—Submitted by a former student

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

436 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

425 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

323 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

319 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

315 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

314 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

261 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

262 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students90%

Economically disadvantaged95%
Special education39%
Limited English proficient (LEP)91%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

356 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

419 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

387 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

446 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

488 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

361 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

363 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

368 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

468 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

381 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Tutor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Passes/tokens for public transportation
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields

• Band

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

Apply now