Bad
Good

I am an alumni of this school and after seeing the rating of the school it bothered me because years ago when I attended, one thing I will always remember is the teachers back then made sure we learned. This has caused me to become more involved attending the board meetings as I urge everyone else that is concerned about this schools. Its time to start asking questions.

Si en verdad AMAS a tus hijos no Los inscribas en esta escuela Los maestros son racistas y faltan mucho a classes y si tu vienes a decir k no estas de acuerdo Como estan tratando a tu hijo solo recibiras gritos e insultos de parts de Los maestros y la principal solo dira tu hijo/a es el problema te invito a unirte a dar tu opinion acerca de tu esperiencia en esta escuela solo asi podemos ayudar a futuros ninos no Sean victimas de LA discriminacion

There's going to be another rush by the teachers to get out. We lost 13 last year and this year many have said they are leaving. All that administration cares about is the data and looking good on paper. You need to care about the kids and your staff to truly make a difference. Parents need to take part too! Parents need to be up at the school, volunteering and making their presence known!

If I could rate this school with negative stars I would! There are so many things wrong with this school that I don't even have enough characters to even begin to explain. So on that note I will start off by saying that the teachers are rude to the students! I have watched students being pushed by the teachers! They have to be quiet at lunch time, and they don't do lice checks. The principal is a joke and the office ladies are rude and disrespectful. There is nothing good about this school. Please homeschool or take your child somewhere else because they will be treated poorly here!

I was a student at this school and i have to say it was the worse school I attended i absolutely hated this school and my Teacher MRS. HENRY till this day i cant understand why she did some of the things she did I am 23 years old now and i still remember this horrible school and its unqualified teachers. But it has been many years since i attended this school so hopefully they've gotten their act together and transformed it into and friendly and loving place to send your children to learn.

Wow! Hard to believe that morale could change so quickly! The teachers here feel overworked and harrassed. They have to clock in and are forced to use the boys' bathroom. (Urinals are covered up by book cases with plastic tableclothes draped over them.) The students are out-of-control and the parents aren't happy. Last year this was a well-run school. The students were well-behaved (mostly) and the teachers were happy. Many are just lasting out the year and looking for new positions next year. There is a new principal here.

I am writing this in hopes that some of the staff at Sunrise will read this. There are a few staff members at this school that are very nice and try their best to make this whole thing a pleasant experience. But there are quite a few that need to brush up on their professionalism. One of those few do include the very principal herself! Yelling at parents from across a crowded hallway is probably the least professional act I've ever seen. I think we could come up with better ways of communication, especially to those parents that actually do volunteer their time and hard earned money, as so their children can have the best education. I do believe that there would be a lot more parent involvement, if the parents were treated like adults, rather than one of the students. It's all in how you speak to people. I understand needing control, but you lose my support once I've been disrespected. I will be searching for a new school next year and my child will not be returning.

I'm a new member at the faculty here at Sunrise and I've really been impressed. From the principal down to the aides, everyone seems to really care about the students and they put them first. The school is run in an orderly fashion with high expectations. The kids are great kids. The only factor I see missing occasionally is parental support. Everything starts at home. I think this school will continue improving. I'm happy to be a member of the Sunrise faculty!

This review might be several yaers old, however, it stillholds true today. Beofre sending your child here think about it, this is not the school most parents want to have their children at - from the principal down to the teachers there is much to be done to make it a school ou want your children at. Looks can be so misleading and the staff knows how to talk the right story but they don't know how to walk the right line.

If you want to have your children discriminated against send them to this school. If you do not care what your child learns - send them to this school. If you want to be treated as someone who doesn't count, send them children to this school. If you want a school where teachers and admin don't care, send your kids to this school. Do I sound upset at the year wasted by my children at this school - you better believe it. We have sold our home and have moved as far from Sunrise as possible so that next year our children are treated fairly and not discriminated against because they are white in a primarly black school with black teachers. This year was HORRIBLE. There were several other white families here and one mother worked hard at being a part of this school but even she gave up mid year since she was being used by teachers who did not want to do their job. If your child has a handicap - stay away from this school. My kids learned things this year that only street wise kids would know - my husband and I got a real education believe me. Color is NOT an excuse for bad learning but this school makes it seem that way. I have filed a complaint with the state against this school.

Last modified Sunrise - Mcmillan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.