Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

They tend to look the other way with bullying because the parents of the kids could be key fundraisers. I know this because I was one of those bullied kids.

Supports LD students: Disagree

Everyone was fit into a 'one size fits all' box but there was a class for special needs kids that I remember. Other than that, I don't remember anyone making accommodations.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

If you mean leadership by the administration, then yes. If you mean students being taught leadership, definitely not.

Develops character: Neutral

Eh, not really. You're taught to obey authority and fall into line. It's more like being a good little soldier than being an individual.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

If nothing else, I got a great education here. When I went off to middle school I ended up being a full year ahead of everyone else as far as academics went and just coasted through everything.

Amount of homework: Agree

From what I remember, as a former student from 2002-2008, it was a couple sheets a day that only took a few each to complete. Nothing too complicated.

Hey, former student here. I see a lot of reviews from parents and thought an inside view could be helpful. While I attended from 2002-2008, I'm guessing nothing has really changed based on the reviews I've gone over. I was in the middle as far as intelligence went and, for the most part, stayed with the pack. One thing I remember, though, is that if you excelled in one area and tried to really jump ahead they would try and catch you and push you back. I was a very avid reader and was ahead of all of my peers. While were learning to read, I was reading chapter books. On trips to the library, I wasn't allowed to check out the books I wanted because they were 'too complex' for me even though the books I brought from home were the same kind as those I wanted from the library. Another thing I noticed is that they shunned single parents. I was the child of a single mom who wasn't able to participate in anything. When she was able to, she was looked down on like she didn't belong. The teaching style, for me personally, worked great but that could just be just how I learn. One thing I remember is that if you were bad at one subject, though, you were considered...lesser than the others. There was homework everyday but it also wasn't heavy and I was always able to complete it within 10-15 minutes at most. The food was very good and if your lunch money ran out, instead of denying you lunch, they gave you your lunch still but just said you couldn't get extra stuff until you brought your money. Then, the money you'd racked up would be docked from the money you brought in. Dresscode was law there once it had been implemented. I remember being stuck in the office while people argued whether the shade of my blouse was white or eggshell and getting sent off because I couldn't tuck my shirt in because it was hemmed. They were very nitpicky in places that really didn't matter. The day care place they worked with, Clayton, was a godsend for my mom who worked late often in those days. I have fond memories of them and hope their service is still available.

Tanglewood is an amazing school! The kids are taught in a safe, fun, loving and challenging environment. We could not ask for a better elementary school experience!

it's a very very good school ,i have 2 girls there and they like it sooo much.

I am very frustrated that my daughter became sad and angry because I couldn't give her a big fundraiser check like the parents of her friends. The overemphasis on fundraising and using our kids as pawns to earn money for the school is very disturbing. Our kids should not be put in positions of earning prizes by who can get the most money. It is shocking that an educated community like ours at Tanglewood would allow this to continue. We need to put a stop to this destructive method of exploitation that has continued for too long at Tanglewood.

Last modified Tanglewood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.