Fort Worth Academy Of Fine Arts

Charter | 7-12 | 355 students

Posted July 21, 2014

Our kids have attended at FWAFA for 7 yrs. We are daily blessed to have our sons attend there. The teachers are beyond dedicated! The education, check out our national ratings, has exceeded our expectations and continually challenges our boys. FWAFA is dedicated to child success. There is so much help and attention given to each child. We have one son that needed an accelerated curriculum-he got it! It is awesome. Our other son struggled to read. Several teachers stepped up and gave thier personal time to him dedicating themselves to his success. Additionally, he was also assigned a tutor. She was amazing. He no longer needs he help. Our son now reads and is one of the top students in several of his classes. I cannot say enough about the education, supreme environment and dedication this school presents. It is fabulous. You could only be so lucky to have a child at this school. For anyone that may not feel so kindly about school, or our fine art fees, it's a shame! Take your child to another school. There is a very long wait list for kids that want to be @ FWAFA. It is an incredible school. Give the opportunity to a kid who is waiting and wants it. FWAFA is a rare opportunity.

Posted May 21, 2014

The prior post does not represent me or most parents. I LOVE this school. FWAFA emphasizes the arts, but the academics are exceptional too. My kids went on to great universities and excelled in part because they had a great academic foundation provided to them by FWAFA. I love the small school environment. With only 30 to 60 students per GRADE, teachers know and care about their students. I like that grades 3-12 are all at one school. I think younger kids see and learn from older students and envision what they might expect. I like many of the traditions that make this school unique and give students great experiences outside of the classroom. I like that my children had national and international travel experiences that they would not have had in a typical public school. I feel the arts component of FWAFA makes well-rounded adults whether they decide to pursue their art or not. Anyone interested should visit the campus, talk to students and parents, or attend one of the many fine arts programs produced by the school. FWAFA is more than a school it is a community of faculty, staff, and parents dedicated to giving students the best academic and artist experience it can provide.

Posted May 19, 2014

This used to be a wonderful school. The decline over the past 5-6 years is shocking and very sad. The Administration is non-responsive to any parent-raised concern. This is well known and a running joke among parents. The biggest issue is the mean-spiritedness among students. This is the case from the youngest grades to the oldest. Students are used to being "top dog" in their art prior to arriving at FWAFA. They are downright mean to one another and the Administration never seems to notice. If a parent complains the call/email is never returned until the parent gives up. Academics are very weak and faculty turns over often. There are a few excellent teachers in 11th/12th grades (who arrived before the current admin) but from what one hears they are planning to leave as well because of the decline in the culture of the school. Students arrive at FWAFA as strong students but standardized tests over time (looking at any one student) decline with each year spent at the school. Please look beyond the "honor" of being accepted. Look at the potential long term affect on your child's heart (from the mean student culture) and educational future (from weak academics).

Posted October 24, 2012

I have been a student at FWAFA for four years. FWAFA is definitely a unique school. The students are all there because they are gifted in the arts and went through the audition process. Parents are supportive and encouraging. Teachers and faculty are also there because they have a passion for the arts and academics. Maybe they don't get paid a lot, but that helps to weed out the teachers who are there for the wrong reasons. Some people just can't handle the environment. We are like a huge family and we stick up for one another. Teachers push us because they know that we can handle it. We are ranked in the top schools in the nation and our test scores show that we take academics very seriously, especially in our English department, where we learn how to use proper grammar... We work hard for our grades because we understand that being a student at FWAFA isn't something to take for granted. We take pride in who we are. FWAFA is a fantastic school built around community, the arts, strong academics and students, parents, faculty and teachers that truly care.

Posted October 9, 2012

I totally disagree with yesterday's post...I am assuming this "previous" teacher must have been fired from the English department due to the fact that his/her post had incorrect grammar! My daughter has been @ FWAFA for 5 years and she is definitely excelling. I have personally had experience with a private school, public schools, & charter schools with my children. As with all schools, we have encountered minor issues with FWAFA but NOTHING to "write home about"! My daughter is highly motivated to make high grades in all of her classes. As her mom (a college grad), I know just how hard she works and just how hard the subject matter is that she is being taught...at least a year ahead of FWISD. All of her classmates are highly motivated and are realizing just how important their studies & grades are in getting into college. FWAFA is a "college prep" school...Everyone there wants to go to college. I feel extremely lucky for my daughter to have gotten into this fine school.

Posted October 8, 2012

As a former Teacher one of the worst schools academically as well as student attempts to learn. They are so use to receiving grades they don't even try. This is the worst schools ever. If a student don't pass the state assessments they are sent back to their home schools raising the high test results. This is a farce, the state should investigate. Teachers teaching subjects they are not qualified for.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 2, 2012

The administration of this school seems to exist only to collect their paychecks. Many of the staff are unqualified and inexperienced mothers of current or former students. The children of the staff have access to all private and sensitive matters discussed in the office and brag about this knowledge to their classmates. Upper School Students must spend 2 hours per day in "arts" classes, a waste of time for most, making the school day 2 hours longer than other high schools (8am-3.45pm, days preceding concerts can rehearse until 10pm). PTO is practically nonexistent, the principle must attend all committee meetings and all decisions must be personally approved by him, so every year no decisions are made and the principle tells the PTO what their fund-raising money must be used for. The theater department is excellent, as is upper school biology, but if you have a choice..run from this school - go to Booker T.

Posted June 5, 2011

My children have attended FWAFA, starting with my oldest, for 8 years now. We are very happy and blessed to have such dedicated teachers and staff. It is not your typical school, so it isn't for everyone. Academics are excellent and held at high standards, and artistic children are naturally inclined to be able to handle it. I also find that FWAFA prepares my children for the real world. My children have learned responsibility, respect, acceptance, self-confidence, just to name a few. The school has grown in size, and no longer has the feel of a "small school," where you know the names of all the children, but certainly has maintained its charisma, integrity and excellence.

Posted May 16, 2011

As another year is coming to a close, I have to say that I feel so fortunate that my child attends FWAFA. Her high ACT and SAT scores are a direct reflection of the quality education she is receiving at FWAFA. Academics does not get put on the back burner to the fine arts. She has been pushed in her LA and math courses in order to prepare for college. As my child talks with friends that go to other schools, she quickly realizes that the high expectations at FWAFA academically and in the area of fine arts is a gift. Yes, she has a large academic load on top of her performances; however, this will give her the time management skills she needs to be successful as a college student/performer. Thank you FWAFA staff for challanging my high achieving student!

Posted May 15, 2011

FWAFA is a great performing arts school. But other than performing arts, I am very concerned. My child has been taught numerous things incorrectly. Has gone from an "excelled" student, to one that is barely passing in a couple of classes. The school is very disorganized. You get several different emails and changes of information at the last minute. The administration is very lax. I am not happy as a parent with the academics. If you are only looking for fine arts, this is a great place. If you are looking for structure, high academics, etc., I would look REALLY DEEP before I considered placing my child here.

Posted February 27, 2011

FWAFA offers challenging academics and amazing fine arts opportunites that focus on a variety of learning styles. However, valuing students as individuals, professionlism, and adequate attention to concerns, whether minimal or serious, have much to be desired. On the surface, FWAFA is impressive, though once inside you find its a different story.

Posted May 26, 2010

FWAFA is a wonderful school with excellent teachers who really care about very student. Great students full of talent and desire to learn and work hard to achieve thier goals. Parents that are involved in thier children's lives and who invest time, love, money & devotion towards helping thier children succeed in thier goals & life. The kids at FWAFA recieve a great education & are well prepared for college.

Posted February 22, 2010

I also agree that obtaining homework from middle school teachers is a challening task. All though the academics are on course and the staff is overall courteous, there are a few teachers who see it as their personal job to make the students life a as hard and unsuccessful as possible. Most teachers have posted tutoring times and are willing to stay and help. The few who do not find time in their scedules to stay after really make student success hard to come by. As a parent of a child with different learning style, it is hard to balance enthusiam for the arts and success in the classroom. It seems like a few teachers with a point to prove can ruin a good thing.

Posted January 21, 2010

The high school school has many good qualities for arts, but offers very little academic structure for those children who need it. It's difficult to get make-up work from the teachers when my child is absent. It's also difficult to get the teachers to respond to inquiries about acedemics.

Posted September 16, 2009

FWAFA is an excellent school which is known for their performance groups, although not enough is said about their quality academics. Not only is FWAFA ranked 6th out of the Top 20 High Schools in the DFW but also has an exemplary accountabilty rating. FWAFA in my opinion is just as good or even better than some of the overpriced private schools in the area and can hold their own. My children love it there and say that they are being challanged by their teachers as well. We are pleased to be part of the FWAFA family.

Posted September 16, 2009

The children not only get all the basics of a good eduction, but can develop their artistic talents as well.

Posted September 15, 2009

This is the first year that my daughter has attended FWAFA and is a 9th grader. She loves it! There is a lot of homework but I think that would be the case anywhere going from Middle School to High School. They are committed to offering a quality education that balances the arts and high academics. I was so pleased to hear that FWAFA ranked 6th in the Top 20 High Schools in the greater Dallas Area based on a study that was published in the Dallas Morning News on September 13th. We feel blessed that she was selected to attend FWAFA!

Posted January 31, 2009

My daughter graduated from FWAFA last year and is attending college with excellent talent and academic based scholarships. She transferred in from a 5A school and I believe that the 3 years she spent at FWAFA molded her as a student and performer in a way the other school could not. The faculty and staff are extremely supportive.

Posted October 8, 2008

the Theater program is excellent. The music is a' favorites situation' and the leadership is lacking the teachers get away with not sticking to policy and making their own rules, sometimes at the cost of the students.

Posted September 20, 2008

My childs second year at this school. Academically I dont think they are up to par. I found it hard to get assistance with my child from her elementary teacher and kept getting the run around.Very hard to get assistance with tutoring. The school is devoted to the performing groups and lack in other programs. My child loves the school so I am allowing her to stay another school year to see if it improves but may decide to put back in public school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

59 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

55 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

59 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

57 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

52 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

53 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

50 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

Female97%

All Students97%
White98%

Female97%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

• CRAIG SCHRECKENGAST
Fax number
  • (817) 926-9932

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now