Westbrook Intermediate School 1

Posted October 22, 2014
This hype about the wave program is a big noise without substance. The teachers are in a big hurry to cram information in the short duration of the class that the child is left without understanding the basic idea of the topic. Only 1/4th of the curriculum is taught in class and the rest sent home for the parents and children to break their heads over. Now multiply this by 5 periods! That's unreasonable amount of hours spent after school. If a parent is doing all the teaching, why in the world will I need a useless wave program or this school. I regret having pushed my child into this. She has not had an evening outdoors in the last 2 months as she is only marooned in senseless stressful homework meant for high school kids for 5 to 6 hrs every single day including weekends. I wish the county school board would reevaluate this school and it's mission and see through the stress they are inducing to the kids and the parents.

Posted October 07, 2014
My daughter is in her second year at Westbrook and is in the WAVE program. My observation is that both the child and the parent have to want the child to be successful in WAVE program. If one or the other is not committed to the program then there will be problems. Our experience is that my daughter attends WAVE (and makes excellent grades), participates in both in-school (band, sports) and out-of-school (scouts, youth group, sports) activities. Although she is busy, it is certainly doable (and good practice at prioritizing and working ahead). After reading these reviews 2 years ago when we were deciding if we should place her in the WAVE program, I really had some reservations. Eventually, we decided to do so and have not been more pleased. Remember that this program is growing. If most of the customers (i.e. students and their families) were unhappy, then then program would not be expanding.

Posted August 04, 2013
I just finished my 8th grade year at Westbrook, and though it was one of the toughest years of my life, it taught me so much. Yes, there is a very heavy homework load, and the transition to the WAVE program from elementary school was a hard one. The mini-courses give the students an opportunity to learn about things that interest them outside of school. Still, WAVE isn't for everyone, only for those who are willing to work for a great education. If you manage your time well, you can still fit in everything you want to. I know from personal experience that keeping up with a very time consuming extra-curricular activity while still getting straight A's is very possible. I'm not going to lie, the work load and the classes are tough, and there's a limit to how far back a student can fall before it gets unhealthy. It a student is struggling, the teachers are very helpful, and they can be put in lower classes, but, the most important thing is to actually try. I've seen half-hearted people fail because they didn't study, and the competition is tough. It really isn't for every gifted child, but for those who find it tailored to their needs, enjoy it like I did.

Posted February 20, 2013
I am a current 8th grader in WAVE, and I can safely say that WAVE is the place for GT students to be. There is a lot more homework than you or your child might be used to, but its all about time management. Homework from WAVE is designed to help thinking outside the box and reinforce higher-level thinking skills. Minicourses range from music to electronics, and they are super fun. Our electives are amazing, with our orchestra and band claiming the Best in Texas title once. Our homework helps prepare us for high school, our electives are amazing, and minicourses are a unique way to pursue the hobby that you are interested in. IF YOU ARE GT, YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY GO TO WAVE! YOU WON'T REGRET THE DECISION! I can't think of a better school to go to that would fit my needs because I am surrounded by people who think on the same level as me.

Posted August 09, 2012
I am the parent of a student who attended the WAVE program. I can say that the program was the very best program that my daughter experienced in her 12 years in CCISD. It prepared her for college, long before she crossed the threshold of high school and, she is now successfully achieving at the University level. It was not a lot of extra work for her and though we supported her, she did her own work. She was able to participate in all of her extra-curriculars including band, dance, volleyball, cheerleading and tennis. She was an all-around kid and remains an all-around adult. When students who are the right fit for the program go to WAVE, the experience will be phenomenal. I applaud parents who do not feel it is a good fit for finding the right place for their children. A high percentage of CCISD's National Merit Scholars and Valedictorians have come from the WAVE program. It is not for every GT students and, it has been particularly molded for students who are GT across the board but, are particularly strong in reading/ELA. WAVE is a shining star and is/will continue to be a feather in the cap of Clear Creek ISD.

Posted February 06, 2012
This is the best school that I have ever gone to! I have made so many friends and, WAVE really meets my academic standards.

Westbrook Intermediate School 3

Posted January 05, 2012
I was excited for my kids to join WAVE after the orientation only to be disappointed in the program. After a year and a half, I have removed my kids. I do not find this program to be gifted. It is definitely advanced, but mostly, it is just a ton of extra work. My kids were loaded down with so much homework that they were exhausted everyday. Gifted doesn't mean tons of extra work. It should focus on outside of the box thinking. There are several gifted people in my family and my older sister has taught gifted and I am unimpressed with the WAVE program. My kids became depressed and stressed out and dreaded school and they were never like that before. After just a few days in the Omega program at our zoned school, my kids are perking back up and enjoying life. You can tell that a weight has been lifted off their shoulders.

Westbrook Intermediate School 3

Posted December 04, 2011
I am the parent of a WAVE student at Westbrook Elementary. I have to say the I'm not sure the WAVE program is anything more than a bunch of talk without the substance to back it up. I was a very high-performing student throughout all years of my schooling with teachers that were apparently more efficient at teaching information without the rediculous amount of redundant busy-work. In the WAVE program repetetive busy-work repeatedly assigned after the students already have a grasp of the information masqurades as "creative teaching". My son still gets straight A's but hates school now being in the WAVE program. He used to love school. The amount of homework given is unneccesary and leaves kids with little time for extracurricular activiteies or tme to jut be kids.

Posted November 11, 2011
I'm a former WAVE student, and I'd just like to say that even though the work load was pretty heavy, it teaches you time managment. As long as your kid makes and effort and t ries to keep up, they'll do just fine. Honestly, 'PDA' constitutes of holding hands and maybe a peck. If you think that's too much, wait until high school. WAVE teaches you lots of important skills that make high school so much easier. And our athletics are actually pretty decent, thank you very much. High school is a piece of cake for me. Oh, and our arts programs ROCK. Plus, we beat Science Magnet every year at the science fair. That's how epic we are.

Westbrook Intermediate School 1

Posted November 07, 2011
As a parent, this is one of the most stressful school programs I've ever experienced. It impacts the entire family. Most 6th graders can not manage the workload without significant help from the parents. Every child I've known that has been in this program has broken down in tears throughout the year (both in school and at home) because of the stress. Expect a minimum of 2 to 4 hours of homework every day, including weekends and holidays. I also recommend that any 6th grader cut out all after school activities

Westbrook Intermediate School
302 West El Dorado Boulevard, Friendswood, TX  77546
Last modified Westbrook Intermediate School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westbrook Intermediate School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top