Wedgewood Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 755 students

Living in Friendswood

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $187,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Posted January 10, 2013

We LOVE Wedgewood Elementary! My son is in Kindergarten and loves his teacher and the environment at this school. His teacher is AWESOME and the office staff, Vice Principal, and Principal are all wonderful. They have always been very polite and more than helpful. The PTA is very strong and they have tons of volunteer opportunities. I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Posted March 30, 2012

I didn't like the K LPDD classroom, I felt they were unprepared for my child and my child regressed significantly. There was no structure when you arrived and the teacher was pulled from the classroom quite often. I feel bad for the kids that missed out on even 1 minute of her abscense because it does make a huge difference. I spoke to the teacher and the principal about my concerns and nothing was really done about it. These workshops should be conducted in the summer or on the weekends it shouldn't interfere with the childs education. These children need help desperately they are special needs and need consistency. Another thing that made me loose hope in this school was a permision slip they sent home which they stated," They would attempt to supervise my child", and basically if they didn't suceed at that I would be responsible for his actions while he was at the field trip. So if the teacher is going to "attempt" to keep my child safe than I "will" take my child out of that school. If the teacher is not able to teach my child on a daily basis nor supervise him than why am I putting my child in harms way of not getting an education nor being safe.

Posted December 12, 2009

Wedgewood Elementary is a wonderful school. It always starts with the leadership, and Wedgewood's Principal & Vice Principal are always involved, and love to know the students on a more personal level. My student hasn't had a bad experience yet with his teachers, and he is in the 3rd grade. I've heard the same from many other parents too. My son has come so far since Kindergarten, and I can only give the teachers kudos for that. There is so much the school offers for extracurricular activities as well - choir, art programs, PTA sponsored programs, fun runs, the Discovery Garden, book clubs, bookfairs, etc, etc. Some fun things to mention - Mornings with Mom, Donuts with Dad, Winter Feast, Thanksgiving Feast, Rodeo Day, Reflections art program, Scholastic Book Fair, Holiday Shoppe, and SO many more. The facilities are always immaculate, and the the classrooms colorful & comfortable. We love WWE!!!

Posted February 27, 2009

I love this school. The adminstration is extremely friendly and truly care about children. The teachers seem to have fun with the children also.

Posted December 4, 2008

We have had three children attend this school, and it's a wonderful learning environment. Many of the high school's honors kids come from Wedgewood. The ARD staff and PPCD teachers are especially caring and work earnestly with special needs children. Respect and compassion for others are instilled in the kids' education from Day 1. And the teachers and staff are very friendly positive, and keep the campus quite orderly and neat, which makes for happier kids. Every one of our sons' teachers has been involved, easy to reach, and very aware of their progress at all times. It's the best-run elementary school that I know of. Plus, the setting is very nice. We're lucky to have our kids there.

Posted June 22, 2008

Wedgewood Elementary sits amongst trees in park like setting. It's teachers and staff are highly professional and are dedicated educators. Families have the choice to be involved in their child's education, the PTA works quite hard to support the school and its programs. Teachers are continuously volunteering their time to attend workshops that keep them up to date on the latest in teaching. As the school song states, 'The teachers really care'. It has been written, 'You only get out of life what you put into it, and nothing more'. As parents, if you put effort into your child's education, communicate with the teachers and staff, and take care of your child's needs, then you will have a fantastic experience in your child's education, regardless of which school he attends. Wedgewood's staff is caring and friendly and I am proud to be a member of it.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 1, 2007

I love Wedgewood Elementary. I have 4 children, which 3 are still in Wedgewood. My oldest is now a freshman at Clear Brook High School. She started at Wedgewood when she was in 3rd grade. My other children are in 4th, 2nd and 1st grade. They have all been there since Pre-K. The teachers and all of the other staff are wonderful. My kids love going to school there. The teachers really know how to make the children feel important. They teach on everyone's own level and get everyone going where they need to be. The teacher's really care about the student's and there feelings. They tend to all of there needs. Wedgewood is great!

Posted September 20, 2006

My 2 girls attended Wedgewood 1st -5th grades and I must say that my entire family enjoyed the experience. Keeping in mind that during this time period we were very involved everything that our kids would partake in, so there was never any problem with anyone at the school for any reason. Every teacher that we were involved with was very professional and pleasant to work with and I can't say enough about the level of the academic programs. Thanks Wedgewood for making elementary school and experience that won't be forgotten for me and my family!

Posted September 19, 2006

My daughter is in her 4th year at Wedgewood, and although we don't have experience with other schools, Wedgewood has been an awesome experience. My experiences have not been from 'afar' either - I am heavily involved at the school volunteering and am physically in the school quite a bit. Of course, things aren't perfect, but all-in-all, it has been a Great school for us.

Posted August 21, 2006

My child went thru Wedgewood in Kinder. I was very displeased with her education and the way that she was treated. The adminstration was not effective either. We moved and she was transferred to another school where she was behind. The new school caught her up and she is doing great now.

Posted August 2, 2006

Excellent school. The staff is wonderful and the administration are extremely supportive. I have found the leadership of this school to be student friendly and very accomodating to parents. My children have been in two other school and this has been by far the best experience we've had.

Posted May 3, 2006

Child is finishing Kindergarden this May. We have been very pleased with Wedgewood. Quality facitlities. Newer and well kept. Very pleased with the knowledge that our child has learned. Nice location in nice setting. Quality academics, quality program, and quality personel.

Posted March 6, 2006

This school presented concerns to us during the course of the year and we met with them immediately. We have done everything a parent could think to do to help the school and our child. However, we are extremely displeased with the administration at Wedgewood Elementary. We are very involved parents who are not being heard. The teacher seems to try hard. But the administration has not been straightforward with us nor cooperative in arriving at a true solution to their own concerns. I feel that my child is being left behind as a result.

Posted January 11, 2006

My daughter is in Kindergarten at Wedgewood Elementary and I have been extremely pleased with the school in general. I think Wedgewood has very good, experienced teachers- my daughter s teacher has been great. Also, I feel there seems to be good deal of parental involvement that takes place in the classroom and behind the scenes.

Posted November 25, 2005

I have a daughter in 1st grade at Wedgewood, and I love the school. She also attended this school for kindergarten, and we were very happy then, too. She is learning and wanting to attend school most every day.

Posted April 19, 2005

My daughter has attended this school since kindergarten. Each teacher she had has been extremely professional. We have been through two principals since her entry and both have been decent. We don't have much involvement with the principal so I really don't know how she deals with the kids. I think the music program has a lot of opportunities to do more with the children and they seem to be playing a lot of board games and watching movies. Most of the teachers there seem very professional and caring. The level of parent involvement is minimal. The same parents are always doing the same things. The same parents seem to be at the childrens programs. We have enjoyed our time there and each and everybody has been professional. I can't quite put my finger on it but I feel like they could do better.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

122 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

123 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

130 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

128 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

130 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

131 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

134 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

132 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students93%

Not special education94%
Proficient in English94%
Non-migrant94%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students82%

Proficient in English74%
Non-migrant75%
Non-Gifted73%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 2%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4000 Friendswood Link Road