Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My son's first year at this school (7th grade) is very stressful on him. We have a great basis of comparison. His 6th grade was at another Frisco ISD school (Clark) and wasn't nearly as stressful. His 5th grade was at Shawnee Trail (Frisco ISD), and prior to that he attended schools in the Spring-Ford District in PA and in the Longmeadow area in MA, both highly rated. The problem with Roach is a shot-gun blast of due dates, causing him to miss assignments, which leads to severe penalties on his grades. Each class (eight per day) could give him one to several due dates in a given day, and the due dates might be issued in Google Classroom for one class, the school site in another class, and only on paper in yet another class. Sometimes the dates aren't posted, or aren't updated online, and he must track the dates by asking questions. Miss a date: you get a 0. Turn it in late, you suffer a massive penalty on your grade, even if the assignment was perfect. We have organized a process by which he goes through 5 checkpoints every day (Google Classrom, School site, Email, paper homework in Due Folder, and Online Grade postings) and transposes due dates, reminders, etc into Evernote to keep everything centralized and organized. And still he is missing dates. This is causing a downward trajectory in his grades and in his attitude toward him, because he feels he's in a no-win scenario. He has not encountered this problem in any other school. While he was traditionally an A-Honor Roll student, is in Gifted & Talented and Elevating Learning programs for years, he is now struggling to keep many classes above 80! And over 95% of that is caused by missing assignments from confusion, ambiguity, and an overwhelming quantity of due dates. A second warning: the school gives students 4 minutes to get from one class to another. My son was not able to make that 4 minute journey from his Orchestra to Art due to having to use the bathroom, and suffered a "late" penalty (he was in the room but still walking to his seat). He then on another occasion forgot to get a binder early in the year (kept in the room) before sitting down, and suffered a second "late" penalty for not having his binder. These were enough for the school to throw him in Correctional, where he had to write an essay about disrespecting the teacher! Seriously??? He is afraid of using the bathroom at school anymore.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

School administration is supporting and defending the bad habits of the teachers and the unfair rules and restrictions.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Teachers are unfair about penalizing students for bathroom breaks, which might either cause them to be "late" to a class (as they only have 4 minutes and students cannot always leave a class exactly when the bell rings) or signing an "oops" slip (because according to Roach, needing to use the bathroom during class when there is not enough time between classes is an "oops" - collect too many "oops" and student incurs a penalty!). Teachers are unforgiving about late assignments (which is fairly standard treatment in many schools) despite making it too challenging for middle schoolers to keep track of all the due dates. Poor communication.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Disorganized postings of homework due dates, expectations not well set, each teacher working "in a vacuum" assuming the student should have no problem with the agenda in that particular class without visibility that each teacher is doing the same thing in their own way. Student is struggling to keep track of a galaxy of misc due dates that can fall on any day for any class for work that is either for home, school or both, for daily, minor and major grades. School needs to force teachers to ALL USE ONE METHOD of posting due dates, and keep them clear and updated daily for students.

Amount of homework: Disagree

act like we don't matter. . . . .. . . . . . . . ..

The athletics there at Roach middle school is great because the coaches really push you to become strong. The academics is good because they really show how to solve a problem and break it down step by step. The also show the proper way to write an essay with breaking that down step by step with both expository and narrative. The vice principals are not that great and yell at most of the students. The once got lunch detention for being too loud. These kids are not in Kindergarten anymore, they are developing into young adults. They take too long to call lunch rows and if you are called last you have only ten minutes to just stuff food down your mouth which is a horrible feeling. I hate that they have "oops passes" and you only get six of these every six weeks. I am an athlete and is at baseball or conditioning after school so I have to drink water but that usually leads to me going to the restroom a lot. The passing periods are only four minutes long so that does not give me enough time to get in and out and be back without being tardy. The counselors are not good with dealing with drama, bullying, you name it.

Do not send your kids here!! We've had the most miserable two years. There is a huge bullying problem but they do nothing about it. My child was so miserable with they way she was being treated, but when she would go to the counselor's office crying they would send her back to class. The administration plays favorites and will 'look the other way' when one of them does something wrong. My children do not feel safe here and are extremely unhappy.

I am underwhelmed with this school. The counselor and teachers make promises- but do not follow through. The school is disorganized and the office staff all seem to be rude. I am totally amazed this school is rated so high. I feel guilty for the fact I send my child here. There are a couple of great teachers- but overall- the school is lacking.

HORRIBLE REGISTRATION EXPERIENCE! A late decision was made to enroll our daughter in RMS. My tax dollars are collected and divided amongst the FISD schools it should not matter when I enroll especially if the cirmcumstances were beyond my control. Late enrollment should not be negative experience because of a grumpy registar and an elderly person sitting at the front office desk answering the phone giving out the wrong information. 8/14 we were told all appts were filled and to come in on 8/15 but we would not see a counselor. We were ok with that. 8/15 we were rudely greeted and told we need an appt and that no one would have told us to come in with out one. (So now we are being called liars). After complaining about the apppoitment situation the registar finally decided to give us paperwork to fillout and made copies of necessary paperwork. Leaving we were stopped by a counselor who said whe would see her when we came back. We returned as asked, no counselor was there and we were asked to drop off forms that we could have dropped off on 8/15. I already dislike this school because of the rudeness and inconsistencies with communication. A very disappointed tax payer and parent!

Can't wait to get out of here! My daughter was bullied so badly the police had to be called and yet nothing has been done worst of all the other students had been talk to but not the parents. So that said they talk to the students about things behind the doors with out notifying the paretns that is stimply wrong. The administrative are not friendly and are rude and never smile. When I took the morning off work to go speak with an administrator about the issue, so many of them out of the office I was told NO ONE could speak with me that day! AND the principal was sitting in her office the entire time and refused to come out. At some point they gave me the assistance principal to talk to me where I really disliked our confersation since everything that was said and was done was pushed under the mat. All the years this school has been a HUGE disappointment. You don't want to send your kids here. Frisco ISD might have other good schools but this really is NOT one of them!!

Last modified Roach Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.