Posted October 01, 2014
My 3 children attended Hicks and absolutely loved it. As a parent concerned about their academic progress and advancements, Hicks exceeded my expectations. The Principal, Mr. Martin, is easily accessible and involved with the students, parents, teachers and staff. Each of our teachers was open to working with me in helping my children learn, grow and achieve success. This school has many opportunities not afforded to other schools -- a technology driven program (all students will have a personal ipad for studies by 2015), and a pioneer program of dual language (Spanish & English). Since most students come from English-only homes, this is a great opportunity for students to learn another language at an early age. And the PTA involvement is outstanding, as well as the numerous hours of volunteer service contributed by parents. If you are contemplating private schools over Hicks, I encourage you to spend a few hours visiting Hicks -- meeting the teachers, talking about curriculum, and seeing the student interaction. I'm so thankful we chose to send them to this stellar public school... and for the education they received at Hicks.

Tom Hicks Elementary School 1

Posted August 30, 2014
School is run by the PTA. If you volunteer in the PTA, your voice will be heard and your child will be popular. The school caters to these kids and parents. A kid of a PTA parent can bully mine, and everyone looks away. PTA moms are rude to the general public. My kids as well as myself, we are invisible at the school. You cannot look at a yearbook and see my kids. We are never in any clubs though we have tried and tried. The same kids are picked for everything. I guess I couldn't write a big enough check. It's a shame because there are some great teachers and the principal is great with the kids... Just be ready to volunteer if you want your kid to get ahead or be treated nicely.

Posted August 07, 2013
Tom Hicks Elementary: Our family LOVES this school. We have 4 children and have experienced 3 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, & 2 high schools and have found Hicks Elem to be among the BEST. Our teachers are so amazing, there is a lot of parent involvement, & our new principal, Mr. Martin is amazing. Not only am I a parent, but I also substitute within the district so I feel I have additional experience with the school life. Mr. Martin is top notch, knowing all of the children by name, doing special things for his staff, and having an open door policy to his parents who he truly listens to. We could not be happier!

Posted June 24, 2013
When you are a Foster Parent, the first thing you do is take the child to school the next day. We've had 3 separate children enter the doors of Tom Hicks in the last 3 years. Each and every time, the dedicated staff has been amazing. Whether the child is brilliant or special needs, the entire organization is focused on the child achieving incredible goals. The process of quickly assessing and providing so much support from so many levels has been great. The school's leadership team has to be given much credit for creating and mentoring such a well performing team of professionals. It's a joy to walk in the front doors. Positive energy abounds from the first greeting. Your child will love this school.

Posted June 21, 2013
This school is pretty awesome. I went here as a student years ago and it was fun but also educational. Teachers pushed me to work harder and helped me overall.

Tom Hicks Elementary School 2

Posted June 04, 2013
I totally agree with the reviewers below. Hicks is not academically focused. If your kid is studious, gifted, high achiever... This isn't the right place for him. Teachers only care about the PTA kids and gifts. Staff in general is OK. Hicks is all about favorites and fundraising, " Fanatical PTA " to re-use one of the reviewers word. Principal seems to only care about the PTA and their kids and fundraising of course! And as a reviewer said he doesn't know the kids or interact with them unless they are the PTA's kids. In the year book, you will only see the kids of the PTA, same thing for the website. Very unfair atmosphere! I think that there is too much disruption at school. It is nice to have lunch with your kid but it should be limited to a certain number of days. The principal needs to be more present and set boundaries for the PTA. At first, I thought that I was maybe seeing too much into it but by reading the reviews below, It just confirms that I am not the only one who thinks the same. Our kid is obviously leaving this school... And yes! Parents park illegally, drive too fast and sometimes don"t even bother Stopping at a Stop sign.

Tom Hicks Elementary School 1

Posted May 29, 2013
Cannot speak to the school performance as far as teaching goes. However, the school is a very bad neighbor! The grounds are poorly maintained, not up to the neighborhood standards. On special functions, parents park illegally all the way up to the stop signs and alley ways. This creates a dangerous situation for kids and neighbors alike. And parties - while they are ok, it is not very considerate to have continuous booming noise for days on end that residents are forced to listen to. Hicks kids party, while we as homeschoolers are forced to take days off due to excessive noise from the school. Ridiculous!!! From my point of view, the school is unable to maintain a courteous and safe environment for everyone.

Posted May 26, 2013
Hicks is a fabulous school with outstanding leadership and caring teachers. The principal encourages progressive staff development and challenges his staff to strive for excellence in themselves and in the students. You will see students engaged in problem based learning where they are researching and producing quality real world products based on their grade level content. All of my children have all been challenged and encouraged to reach their full potential. The resources available for children with special needs, learning disorders or exceptional talent are top notch. The school is very safe and no one is allowed in the building without being screened through a drivers license check (even regular parent volunteers are checked daily). There is great parent support & an active PTA that helps supplement enrichment opportunities to make up for where Texas cut our public schools in the past two legislative sessions. Being a former teacher, I have high standards for what I expect in the education of my children and all children in Texas....Hicks Elementary goes above and beyond my expectations.

Tom Hicks Elementary School 3

Posted November 16, 2012
I have two kids at this school - we are new this year. Our teachers are a mixed bag - one is really fantastic, and one has no business teaching at all. The spelling and math systems they use are "progressive" which means confusing and pointless - my kids are not learning, they're just preparing for tests. The front office staff is very nice but kind of incompetent; they can barely operate the computers and phone systems and they never check my ID when I pick up my kids, which is very scary. The school is totally focused on fundraising - we get constant requests for donations. The PTA is very active but snooty and cliquey and unwelcoming to new people. The principal seems rather absent - I never see him interacting with kids and my children don't know his name or what he looks like. This school is good but it's not great, and it cries out for competent, committed leadership.

Tom Hicks Elementary School 2

Posted November 03, 2012
This school is a joke..teachers cannot teach and high performing students are left behind as they focus on kids that are struggling, they will not give extra challednging work to students that are high-performing- they put too much emphasism on fund-raising than anything else, this school is definately not academic focused- we left after being there for 3 years my daughter now goes to a private school- we are much happier

Tom Hicks Elementary School
3651 Compass Drive, Frisco, TX  75034
Last modified Tom Hicks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tom Hicks Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top