Bad
Good

The PTA parents run the school. School pick up and drop off is unorganized, parents park everywhere along the streets blocking traffic while obstructing views. My child has expressed racist remarks from other students... (I don't fault the children... negative behavior is learned at home). One particular office staff member is very rude, whenever I have come to pick my child up early she does not acknowledge me and will help everyone who comes in to the office after me. I have met children and parents in lower rated Dallas Independent Schools that have more gratitude and respect than some parents at Tom Hicks Elementary. As far as education goes... I believe it all starts with what you teach your children at home while instituting what they have learned in the classroom.

My children have thrived at Hicks. The teachers went above and beyond teaching to really reach out to the students as individuals. The teachers and staff always listen and keep open communication with families.

Hicks is a wonderful school! The teachers are absolutely amazing! They are knowledgable, helpful and truly care about the kids. The administrations is equally fantastic. This is a great school!

My kids thrived at Hicks with great teachers!

WE LOVE OUR SCHOOL!!! The principal, Mr.Martin, is absolutely THE best!! He loves each student, is so much fun, and creates an amazing balance of fun and learning! He truly listens to the parents and works with them to make everyone happy! The teachers are outstanding and go the extra mile to make sure each child learns to his/her highest level and that each child is well cared for! There is NO popularity contest and NO "playing favorites"! Everyone is welcomed to serve as much or as little as they would like. Everyone at the school truly is a family! Everyone is treated with the same level of respect! The minute you walk into the school you know you are in a good, happy and safe place! All 3 of our children have gone through this school and it is has been some of the best days of our lives! Many, many wonderful memories and MANY lifelong relationships have been formed! I would not send my children anywhere else! Thank you, Mr. Martin and faculty for all you have done to make our elementary days so amazing!! You will always have a special place in our hearts!!!

My 3 children attended Hicks and absolutely loved it. As a parent concerned about their academic progress and advancements, Hicks exceeded my expectations. The Principal, Mr. Martin, is easily accessible and involved with the students, parents, teachers and staff. Each of our teachers was open to working with me in helping my children learn, grow and achieve success. This school has many opportunities not afforded to other schools -- a technology driven program (all students will have a personal ipad for studies by 2015), and a pioneer program of dual language (Spanish & English). Since most students come from English-only homes, this is a great opportunity for students to learn another language at an early age. And the PTA involvement is outstanding, as well as the numerous hours of volunteer service contributed by parents. If you are contemplating private schools over Hicks, I encourage you to spend a few hours visiting Hicks -- meeting the teachers, talking about curriculum, and seeing the student interaction. I'm so thankful we chose to send them to this stellar public school... and for the education they received at Hicks.

School is run by the PTA. If you volunteer in the PTA, your voice will be heard and your child will be popular. The school caters to these kids and parents. A kid of a PTA parent can bully mine, and everyone looks away. PTA moms are rude to the general public. My kids as well as myself, we are invisible at the school. You cannot look at a yearbook and see my kids. We are never in any clubs though we have tried and tried. The same kids are picked for everything. I guess I couldn't write a big enough check. It's a shame because there are some great teachers and the principal is great with the kids... Just be ready to volunteer if you want your kid to get ahead or be treated nicely.

Tom Hicks Elementary: Our family LOVES this school. We have 4 children and have experienced 3 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, & 2 high schools and have found Hicks Elem to be among the BEST. Our teachers are so amazing, there is a lot of parent involvement, & our new principal, Mr. Martin is amazing. Not only am I a parent, but I also substitute within the district so I feel I have additional experience with the school life. Mr. Martin is top notch, knowing all of the children by name, doing special things for his staff, and having an open door policy to his parents who he truly listens to. We could not be happier!

When you are a Foster Parent, the first thing you do is take the child to school the next day. We've had 3 separate children enter the doors of Tom Hicks in the last 3 years. Each and every time, the dedicated staff has been amazing. Whether the child is brilliant or special needs, the entire organization is focused on the child achieving incredible goals. The process of quickly assessing and providing so much support from so many levels has been great. The school's leadership team has to be given much credit for creating and mentoring such a well performing team of professionals. It's a joy to walk in the front doors. Positive energy abounds from the first greeting. Your child will love this school.

This school is pretty awesome. I went here as a student years ago and it was fun but also educational. Teachers pushed me to work harder and helped me overall.

Last modified Tom Hicks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.