Public charter
Garland, TX

Vista Academy Of Garland 2

Posted April 17, 2015
There are some great teachers here, but if your kid is average, they will fall through the cracks. The school is very clique-ish, as well, between teachers and parents. There's a severe lack of communication, some poor teachers who yell at and speak sarcastically to students (not anecdotal from a student; I've heard it happen),a higher than usual turnover rate for teachers, and poor resources. If you want to send your kids here to avoid your ISD, I wouldn't recommend it. It's on par with our local ISD, if not worse. My children will not be returning to VIsta.
12 people found this helpful

Posted April 17, 2015
This school is a nightmare, so I decided to check reviews again to see if I missed something when I was making the decision on sending my children to Vista. To my dismay there are other parents with the very same issues. I have experienced the same severe lack of communication with parents. Teachers do speak sarcastically & hateful to students (I've also heard it myself on several occasions). It is saddening that school leaders allow this to continue. But with no authority at the school and with obsolete administration it continues.
11 people found this helpful

Posted April 17, 2015
Wow! What a relief, I'm not the only parent that is not receiving any communication from the teachers until well after the fact! There are a few very kind, good hearted teachers at the school. My child had told me about the sarcastic comments the teachers say to students. (That could very well be considered verbal abuse or bullying from the teachers.) So if you decided on Vista, just hope your child isn't a target from the clique of teachers in the Middle School that stick together because the director doesn't run the school, the clique does.

Posted April 06, 2015
Vista has some great teachers. The school continues to have poor to no communication with parents, this is not good!
10 people found this helpful

Vista Academy Of Garland 2

Posted December 26, 2014
Bullying issues and lack of management. Bad state math scores. Recently a new student transferred from Vista because if bullying. It was the same two bullying girls..after a year and a half! Glad to be gone!
4 people found this helpful

Posted June 08, 2014
This school is great! The teachers work with the kids and help them find ways to learn the material. Vista's method of delivering the material is better than I have seen of the 3 other schools my children have been in.

Posted June 04, 2014
I love my children s school I have a kinder student, a second grader and a fourth grader. As any good parent knows, I know my three children do not learn in the same way. It is common for a class of students to be at a variety of levels in any particular subject. Teachers need to use different teaching methods in order to reach all students effectively. I love that my children are being taught to their needs. I am very friendly, supportive, and eager to work with my children s teachers to make sure they get the best possible education. But some parents seem to have a problem with teachers. Parents nowadays don t display respect for teachers, and the reasons often have nothing to do with the teacher. Parents and their attitudes have changed towards teachers. If you got into trouble in class when I went to school, not only were you disciplined by the teacher or the principal, then at home by my parents. I know my children are not always right and I do not tell my children their teacher must be wrong. Parents seem to think that teachers attack their children and discipline them when not needed, or even give a poor grade to their child just to pick on them.

Posted April 22, 2014
The teachers are more into trying new methods of teaching instead of the actual way that has worked for many many years. My daughter has had a substitute teacher a lot for this part of the year and not sure how she is learning anything when she has a substitute all the time. I end up having to pick up the slack of the school and teach my daughter things that the teachers are not taking the time to teach her. Thankfully I got her in a new school for next year. My daughter is smart and is very interested in learning but she cringes any time anything with math comes up. She knew math going into the school last year but somehow she doesn't know math this year. Very very sad if you are looking at this school please take your kids elsewhere.
5 people found this helpful

Posted January 08, 2014
My child is in 8th grade at Vista Academy of Garland. She's been at the school since 5th grade. I like the small classrooms and the safety of the school. They have a strict no bullying code and as my kid is a bit different this means a lot. Her social/emotional development is nurtured in this environment. The communication with the teachers is more difficult in middle school and she seems to be slipping through the cracks somewhat academically. There is an attempt to make up for her poor academic performance with after school tutoring, but it's hard to know if this is helping. The curriculum includes some Biblical history which I think is inappropriate in a public school, but it's been the best environment we've been able to find for our daughter after trying several different schools including our local ISD and a private school.

Posted December 10, 2013
There has been poor communication between the teachers and myself. They tell my 2nd grader and tell me nothing until after I see there is an issue and ask about it. I am moving my child for the next school year so I can find a school that's better. Not sure if the teachers are just inexperienced, the principal is young but appears he commands the attention of the kids. I'm just frustrated that the teachers are not helping my daughter along like she should be. She is very smart but I feel like she is being lost in the cracks while they bring the other children up to her level.
4 people found this helpful

Vista Academy Of Garland
3024 Anita Drive, Garland, TX  75041
Last modified Vista Academy Of Garland is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vista Academy Of Garland Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top