Posted November 10, 2014
Charter schools do not have the same standards as public schools. Check classroom size, and discipline procedures before putting your children in any charter school.

Harmony Science Academy - Garland 3

Posted September 04, 2014
Not at all what I expected... Uncertified teachers who really don't know how to control a classroom... over crowding... treating high school kids like 10 year olds... parking, pickup and drop off, and school management is a nightmare... sometimes I wonder who is running these things. Hit or miss... I realized that what I thought I didn't like about public school - is actually what makes public school so great. football, volleyball, teams, mascots, fun, differences, diversity... it actually prepares kids for real life. so long Harmony... the great experiment is over - we are going home. At the end of the day the elementary schools and high schools in Garland ISD are really great. The grass is never greener people.

Posted August 18, 2014
My Son has only attended one year, after one year with GISD and as a Transfer student to Texas from California.Our son thrives in a free thinking environment, any program that structures "in the box" has never worked out well for our son and we watched as GISD again tried to teach "in a box" our son's scores for reading comprehension in the STARS Test were in the 97% percentile yet he was failing English in his 4th grade GISD class after coming from the Gifted program at his former charter in California. Again "the box" was limiting our sons capabilities in English as well as math. It was a gift to finally make it into Harmony as his test results and academic history were accepted and embraced. He was again enrolled n the Gifted program and his grades continued to climb and remain consistent, except for gardening (: The teachers, staff, and vice principal are all wonderful interactive leaders who keep an open communication with parents. I can also say even in times of Turmoil, the occasional argument or bully, both the teachers and Vice principal alike listened to my sons concerns and took action. Charter learning is not for all, but charter and Harmony are working for us (:

Posted August 01, 2014
Terrible school. The teachers treat middle/high schoolers like elementary 10 year olds. Absolutely no freedom to act as their own age. Lack of school activities compared to other schools in the GISD. Overall terrible facility with crowded environment and upsetting teachers lacking the treatment of higher grade level students.

Posted October 27, 2013
In order to raise the bars, in both, Language and Mathematics for Standardized Testings, no matter which one it may be, the best solution would be is to have students' preparations begin at an earlier grade level, in both, Language & Mathematics. To begin with, as far as Mathematics is concerned, have students memorize 'Multiplications Tables', which will not, only enhance their abilities to remember & solver problems, but it will, also, aide in 'Higher Level' Mathematics. Secondly, pertaining to Language, enhance and educate students with 'Grammatical Tenses', once again at an earlier grade level. You might ask why? The reason would be when students learn the three tenses at earlier level, by the time they will reach middle school, they will be prepared to compose essays/prose, in an excellent format, if not near perfect. To conclude, when students have acquired and perfected on these abilities, this should and would aide in acquiring higher scores in 'Standardized Tests"....... Safia G. Khan Richardson, Texas 75081 UNT - 1989 - Bachelors of Science With Specialty In Computer Graphics

Posted May 10, 2013
I highly recommend Harmony Science Academy . It's a much smaller school. In fact, the students often complain that the hallways are too narrow. However, the narrow width of the hallway is a small price to pay for what you get in return. Our son has just completed his first year of school at Harmony after falling through the cracks at one of the RISD schools. We are so very pleased that HSA offers after-school programs that stem from academics, such as the Science Olympiads. We are also pleased that students receive substantial physical education and workouts without being watered down with pep rallies and football games. Our son's grades have improved tremendously, his self esteem has grown, his social skills and interactions have been refined to something we can be proud of and his perception of school has changed from "inconvenient bother" to something he truly looks forward to every day. To all the teachers and staff, I applaud you and I am grateful for the time you've invested in my son.

Posted April 18, 2013
We are on our second year at this school and love it. The teachers at the elementary level at least really care, they encourage the kids to learn and give them the support they need to achieve everything they are capable of. I love the communication from the school we are always kept well informed of our childs progress and anything we need to pay special attention too. I would love to see more social events and sports and I worry about how many students are in the building they definately need more space.

Posted February 01, 2013
This school is having growing pains. It is a great school with excelled academics, but they are missing top level organization within the onsite administration. The enrollment is way to large for the size of the facility. Many of the teachers are foreign and do not understand the social aspects of school here in the U.S. I will say that the teachers care and they do everything in there power to teach the kids. My 2 students are both learning at a grade level above the local district (GISD). Expectations are high but there needs to be a more rounded approach to the socialization that is expected in American public schools. They would be great if the building was larger or the grades serviced were only 6-12. A good alternative if you choose to take the best out of the experience. I imagine that in a few years this will be a great school, after they have gone through the over-enrollment growing pains.

Posted January 24, 2013
This school is a great school. I reccommend this school. Teachers here teach until you get it.

Posted October 12, 2012
This school is very unorganized with what they doing with disipline and teachings. This school is very small for the erollment of K-10. I would not send your children to this school. I would not send your children to this school. I went to a GISD school before and they are more up-to-date and focused on what their teaching than this school.

Harmony Science Academy - Garland
2302 Firewheel Parkway, Garland, TX  75040
Last modified Harmony Science Academy - Garland is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harmony Science Academy - Garland Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top