Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

This school only handles bullying if you get into their faces and refuse to back down. I listen to one mother yell at anyone who would listen, because her daughter had been deliberately stabbed with a pencil, and the child was allowed back in school, no punishment. My own son comes home with scratches and marks.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

My autistic son hates this place. Unless I am there to help him, they stick him in front of an iPad and ignore him. Everything is loud and obnoxious, and my son gets overstimulated and shuts down.

Develops character: Disagree

I caught some children beating a boy in the parking lot. I tried to break them up but failed. I ran for help, and administration just stood there. They listened to me, said thanks for letting us know, and went back to their work! No help, no asking who was involved, nothing. My son comes home with scratches from certain students in his class, yet nothing is done unless I march in there with pictures and not leave until I am positive something IS done.

It's an okay school. It feels new, not in that the facilities are nice (at ALL) but that it seems to be trying to figure out how to function as a school. I am in the hallways frequently for various reasons, and I constantly hear teachers YELLING at children. Not asking nicely, not even giving a warning, they just snap. One woman tore into a child so severely the child cried, and I had to report her. What had the child done? She had offered her crayon to the child next to her. Although my son is gifted in engineering, I regret moving him from his former school to this one, namely because this is NOT an SpEd-friendly school, and my son is autistic. The PA system is so loud, it hurts MY ears, and the words are hard to understand. It's been that way all year. Even though they've been told not to let my son out until I am there to get him, they let him out. The noise and the kids get him overstimulated until he wants to run home -- which he has tried, several times. I've had to jump out of the car and run to catch him. Their great solution for him whenever he doesn't want to participate is to stick an iPad in front of him. His former school met once a quarter to let me know how he was doing, if we needed to add any new goals for him, that kind of thing. This school meets once a YEAR. For a child with special needs, it's just not enough. I had high hopes for this school, but my son is miserable and begs me every day not to send him back. We will finish out the year and go back to his more SpEd-friendly school of Couch.

The teachers are so involved with the kids and i love everything about it. Except the parking lot. lol

My children have been attending this school for 2 years. The only issue I have is that there seem to be slim to none African-American teachers being hired. There should be at least ONE African-American teacher in each grade level. Every nationality is represented except African-Americans. Having 1 - 3 African American teachers do not count when a large number of your students are African-American. Please don't use the tired excuse of "they don't apply". I know of several qualified and experienced African American teachers who apply and are overlooked. Educational institutions should have teachers who reflect the image of the students...well, this include African-American's too. When I meet my children teachers they are always "new" with no educational experience. So, the hiring process for the staff is questionable.

The best Middle and high-school you can attend in the Garland area. They deserve an award. They are so involved in the community of kids that the teachers are always aware of the kid's problems . They are always there to support the kid and help them in their hard times. whether they are having family problems or feeling peer pressure. I noticed the No-bullying policy had strong effect here because I had not noticed insult from the students. My son is actually a devoted star wars nerd but has friends from all back rounds (even with the cool students). this community is really a relaxing community, I thank all the staff for their care for each and every single student. :D

One of the best schools in the Dallas-Forthworth area. It has great academic success and holds great morale with the kids. Its interesting how there is such a big interest by the community because the Parent teacher Organization (PTO) is always active and working on something. I would say it is like the "Harvard" of Garland because it is definitely not easy to get admitted when there is a huge line wanting to get in once another student leaves the school

Why is this school underrated? This school is better than all the schools I went before, the staff are very friendly and they actually care about you and what you can accomplish. They are up to date on technology, with their Chromebooks for every student, and have programs for the gifted. Students in my school are always competitive and the smartest kids are usually regarded as "the cool kids" . I think its a great school and I strongly disagree on the negative comments given.

Cool School. It is a a good school to go to if you are looking for a bright future. Teachers here tell you to invest into your future. We do but it is not as motivating as the competition we have in class against our own friends. Its fun...

Last modified Harmony Science Academy - Garland is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.