Classical Center At Brandenburg Mi

Public | 6-8 | 1154 students

Living in Garland

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $104,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted August 13, 2012

My daughter is a bright and friendly student. She was excited to go to CCB, but the dress code was something she dreaded. I reassured her that it would be no big deal. The principal was very strict about the dress code and it seemed excessive. They even required dress code on after school dances. If you were "caught" without a belt, you would have to go to the office and write yourself up. At lunch, there are teachers who stand by the lunch lines and force students to sit next to whoever they were behind in line; and when my daughter tried to wait outside the cafeteria so that she could get in line with a friend, that was forbidden. My daughter has never been in trouble at school and her anxiety now about these pervasive and strict policies have her begging me to find another school. She is set to go a second year, as she does enjoy the piano, art, and gymnastic classes. And they have a new principal . But if she still hates it, we are withdrawing her after the first six weeks. BTW, she makes near perfect scores on those stupid standardized tests. That is what people believe makes a great school. To me, a school is wonderful if it makes my child love learning.

Posted March 9, 2012

This is our first year at Brandenburg. I'm not clear about the previous comments on our school. We applied and chose this school because of the fine arts electives, zero period options, strong leadership and communication, and supposed parent involvement. However, the long time band director was fired without parent notification, there are NO zero electives like piano or chess, we do not get Principal regular call-outs (as Sachse HS does) to notify us of important events (early release, programs, etc.), and the PTA does not notify parents of general meetings or board elections. It's very non-inclusive lacking communication. What should be the main source of info and communication should be the website, which is severely lacking. It does not have club meeting dates, audition info, etc. Lastly, a majority of the teachers that we've had seem bothered by questions being asked when inquiring about specific of the curriculum. It seems that they are almost offended, perhaps because of being used to a parent population who does not question authority. Nevertheless, we are disappointed at what could have possibly been a great school at one time.

Posted August 26, 2011

This is my daughters second year at Bradenburg. The staff is very supportive and proactive with the cirriculum, social issues, and potential problems with students. I appreciated the voice messages from the school for community events involved with the school, pta, and other social events. The children seem to be disciplined and the office staff is not rude. My child was involved in a number of activities which allowed her to become well rounded. The zero credit classes are great and the staff enforces time management with the students.

Posted July 18, 2010

I don't know where to begin!!! First of all, I am about to enter the 8th grade at Brandenburg, and I've had the time of my life there! The honors classes are challenging, but the teachers are always there to help. They always help us to achieve to the high standards of the school, and have teaching methods for all learners. They're awesome! The electives are phenominal too. There band has gone to Seattle and Austin, and is one of the best in the country, and their choir rocks! I'm i choir and last year we received straight 1's in U.I.L, 14 people make All-Region, and at the Hurricane Harbor competition we received all 1,s (again), Best in Class trophies, and 4 feet tall Grand Champion awards! They're also the only middle school with dance and gymnastics, and the only school in GISD with a Gymnastics facility! I LOVE IT!

Posted May 19, 2010

My daughter is in 6th grade at Brandenburg. She has loved the learning and social environment at the school. As a parent and a teacher in another district, I have been very impressed with the staff at the school. Mrs. King is an amazing leader and the staff is very involved with the students. The opportunities for extracurricular activities at Brandenburg are amazing. At this age children need a place to fit in and something to keep them occupied. Brandenburg has something for every type of student. Next year, my daughter will be taking Latin, which I think is amazing! She also goes early to school three days a week to take piano. Wonderful school to go to.

Posted March 29, 2010

My daughter is over half way through her 6th grade year at Brandenburg. And she is still very excited to be there. She loves all the opportunities she has been given (dance & gymnastics), and is looking forward to all the opportunities ahead (piano, Latin, and year long dance). She never questions her decision to attend CCBMS. The teachers and staff are very supportive and communicative.

Posted March 11, 2010

My son did OK at Brandenburg but when my daughter was coming from Vial they misfiled her paperwork and bumped her. They had overbooked the school by 300 students! We were told too bad. I had to quit my job teaching in GISD and drive her to our neighborhood school. It ended up being a blessing. She is at Houston middle school and the teachers are so much better. Brandenburg tends to let good test takers like my son slide by which has hit him hard in high school. Also going into GHS al the Brandenbugers l had to go down to regulars because they were not prepared for the work.

Posted February 17, 2010

This is my daughter's 7th grade year at Brandenburg and I'm very pleased. The teachers all seem to be on target, enthusiastic and they bring fresh ideas to their classrooms. My daughter feels good about going to school every morning.

Posted January 28, 2010

This is one of the bestest schools i have ever seen.My daughter is learning alot there and she loves it,keep up the good work staff.

Posted January 5, 2010

i used to go to that school last year, but now i go to a school in fort worth. i have to admit that it is a better school district. but the teachers arent that great there. i really miss the teachers here they actually care about the students. i just want to thank them for teaching me so much.

Posted December 29, 2009

this school is a wonderful school but they always are full even if you but ur name on the waiting list

Posted December 12, 2009

Wonderful School to send your kids.

Posted November 24, 2009

Well i used to go to CCBMS last year and i have to admit it was very fun there(: I learned alot that prepared me for my first year of highschool this year(: Math is much easier thanks to Mr.Berkey. Although it isn't that much fun anymore , i understand alot because of him. Also Biology couldn't be easier thanks to Mrs.Duncan(: && i wanna let her know, i am definitely taking my courses in biology,Chemistry,physics very seriously. Hopefully by the time im in 12th grade im already in the planetarium class learning about astronomy& astrology. Well Mrs.Bottoms! i don't know if your still there or not, but i wanna let you know our journals we had to keep up with are very handy for 10th grade xD thanks! Well i heard about the blue ribbon award to CCBMS and i wanna congradulate everyone of yall love Milli

Posted November 8, 2009

Brandenburg is a remarkable School! It has many Electives to choose from(Choir, Band, Piano, Dance, Gymnastics, etc) and it is one of the best schools in Garland hands down. I have been attending Brandenburg for three years now, and I can tell you that if you send your child here, you won't regret it. It has a Great Honors Program as well as strict, but helpful teachers.

Posted November 5, 2009

I went to brandenbug all 3 years and im proud to say that it is the best school ever. They prepared me for high school.

Posted August 26, 2009

I am a parent of an 8th grader and am so proud that my daughter attended this school. She was on the waiting list for Austin in the 6th grade, but once we got to Brandenburg we never looked back. The teachers are excellent and Mrs. King runs a tight ship. The office staff are extremely helpful and the counselors really care about the kids. My daughter is so lucky to attend this school. We are proud Braves!

Posted August 24, 2009

Hey, Brandenburg is AWESOME! This is my first day for 6th grade, so i was scared... but most of the teachers made me feel right at home, besides the fact i never wear belts and i never tuck my shirt in! When I said 'most of the teachers' i don't mean, oh, there's some teachers over there saying 'She's from vial, lets just hate and ignore her!' I truly don't. There were all nice, but some (1) tend to ignore me. No offense, all my teachers were nice, but I'd have to say that (so far) Ms.Hewett, my science teacher, is the nicest. Though this IS my first day, so, you know... all you teachers out there, you have a chance to be MY favorite. :) From a AWESOME, really awesome, 6th grader. :) GO BRAVES! woo!

Posted August 21, 2009

This school was perfect for my child! She was having a hard time at first in the classes but with the help of Brandenburg's teachers, she got a scholarship to a magnet high school in Washington!

Posted August 5, 2009

My daughter is entering the 6th grade at Brandenburg for the 2009 - 2010 school year. Everything we have heard up to this point is been positive but they stress parent involvement.

Posted May 3, 2009

Brandenburg is awsome! They have a great choir program. The teachers are great! This is my last year at Brandenburg and the teachers have realy prepared me for high school. There is also a great Honors pre-Ap program too. I'm in all Honors! CCBMS rules!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

374 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

375 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

376 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

375 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

372 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

325 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

325 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

321 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

319 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students94%

Not special education99%
Proficient in English99%
Non-migrant99%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

363 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

375 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

219 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

361 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students92%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 6% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 2%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Gym

• ELISE MOSTY
Fax number
  • (972) 926-2633

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

626 Nickens Road