Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Disagree

Once they FINALLY started giving it, it wasn't enough still, my child would always finish on the car ride home and we live not to far away. It took them 8 weeks to give homework

My daughter has been enrolled in GISD since she was 3 years old and this was the WORST school I have ever seen in Garland. I used to visit my daughter for lunch and I would hear the teachers that were the lunch monitors telling students, "Don't talk while you eat, or you will choke and die." I wish I was exaggerating. I even complained to the principal about it and he said he would speak with the teacher about that. The students weren't allowed to speak during lunch, it was very eerie to be in an elementary school lunch room with no sounds. My daughter didn't have homework for the first 6 weeks. That is a bit too long for review period at the beginning of the year. We gave that school two years and two principal and nothing changed in it. We transferred her to another school in Garland one main light away and the difference in the schools is phenomenal. The teachers my daughter had were great and do what they can, but the administrative staff up front and the principal were terrible. The front staff rarely asked for ID when I went up there which in Garland is required for their RAPTOR program when visitors come to the school. ANY other school in Garland would be better than Handley.

In sharp contrast to the biased and untruthful review submitted by the previous parent, I'd like to briefly share what more closely resembles the truth about Handley. Most of the teachers here, including myself, go above and beyond every single day to ensure the success of our students. We are dedicated, hard-working, creative and loving. Many of us have worked at Handley for many years because we choose to see the beauty and potential that Handley holds. As far as teachers only being there for a paycheck, I can only assume that there is a misconception about how much teacher's make. For the majority of the teachers here, we sacrifice family time, our own money, our health, and most weekends because we feel so passionate about building relationships and guiding our students to success. I'm sorry that some people have had negative experiences with one or two teachers, but I assure you that is common in all schools. Please look at the whole picture before you make such harsh judgments about Handley, especially the teachers and other staff that dedicate their time, love, and expertise to this school.

This school is horrible! The teachers are clearly there for a check only and the administration is even worse. My son is on his 3rd teacher because they have all quit or been fired. The school is in a safe/good neighborhood but the students there could easily give inner city schools a run for their money. And the teachers are a JOKE! I can't believe they haven't made the news. This is the first and last year my kids will be attending. I am a very involved parent so it saddens me that the kids are not being prepared properly. There are other great schools in the neighborhood (Shugart and Carver). DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS HERE THEY WILL BE IMPROPERLY INFLUENCED BY STAFF AND OTHER STUDENTS!

Amount of homework: Disagree

They consistently lose your kids homework and then they give a bunch of nonsense and busy work. I would like my child to be challenged

The first two years it was good, but this yr it has been about nothing but money its always send money they even made those kids pay 5 dollars to walk down the street like really what are yall making them pay for? Their time,energy and effort its just crazy my kids want attend here next yr..

One of the worst experiences of my kids attending school. My kids will NOT be returning. The kids have so much bad behavior there, the teachers focus more on discipline than teaching, and the discipline isn't that great. This is my kids first year here, and if I'd known this was not a good choice school learning wise and with the students' behavior, they would've never attended.

This has been a great year overall for my daughter, especially because I got to know her teachers so well. I would suggest parents to be as involved as you can be. Don't wait til something "happens" to request a conference. This is a great school.

this is a best shool ! teacher take time to know the students, my daughters are very happy

This is a GREAT school! Teacher take time to know the students,like my son was in kinder and other teachers knew him by name.I love that, security is A+ at this school.And the principal / vice principal ,well I've never seen one take the time to be outside after school making sure everyone is safe let it be crossing the street or even directing traffic.THERE EXCELLENT

Last modified Handley El is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.