Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Heather Glen Elementary School 2

Posted October 09, 2015
We've been at Heather Glen for a decade (and have a decade to go). Until the new principal took over a couple of years ago, we loved it. Now, 90% of the staff we grew with are gone. One of my son's teachers is horrendous. Fresh out of school and has no desire to help the kids. she's in it for the authority and is very rude and unprofessional. My son received his first detention ever for not writing his name in the correct place on his paper. He has a great teacher that he loves that balances it out, but we'll be switching schools before next year. You can't get in touch with the counselor, and after going through testing for my son and getting paperwork for the school, it took several months before we had a meeting to get a 504 in place for ADD and anxiety.. and it barely covers anything. My son has been waiting 2 years for speech testing.... Parents can only lunch with their kids on specified days now. You aren't welcome at the 2 school parties unless you've cleared it with the teacher and are a room parent. You can't attend field day anymore unless you are volunteering. It's just a lot more strict now. Less caring teachers and principal, which is unfortunate for few really good teachers. A few years ago, I would've recommended this school. Now, I say run!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 09, 2015
Mr. Moreau and Mrs. King are great teachers. They go the extra mile to relate to the kids and make learning fun. They genuinely care.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted October 09, 2015
There are good teachers. Many of the past great teachers were ran off by the new principal and policies. Now, many teachers are new. Some are great. Some are absolutely horrendous. The old adage rings true. If it ain't broke.... Very sad my youngest won't carry out the tradition. We've been at Heather Glen for a decade now.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted October 09, 2015
Some teachers are great. Many of teachers are new since the new principal came in and changed everything. The students don't seem have a voice anymore, nor do the parents. Focus seems to be more on discipline now, rather than having a fun, nourishing environment that makes kids want to learn. Parents aren't even allowed at the two parties anymore unless you are a room parent and aren't allowed at field day unless you're volunteering. First time in 18 years of having kids in school that parents are on the outside. Bullies get no consequences while good kids pay for other acting out.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted October 09, 2015
All students tend to get punished for a few bad apples. The kids who act out, or even bully other children, get little consequences. So, don't write your name on your paper and you get detention, but hit and threaten another child repeatedly and miss a recess.

Heather Glen Elementary School 5

Posted July 31, 2015
I have 2 daughters in Heather Glen, plus a niece that just completed her last year. This school and the faculty is wonderful. My only complaint is that a new principal came in 2 years ago and to me isn't very kid friendly. I have seen many wonderful teachers leave the school since this principal arrived. Heather Glen does have great teachers who are very caring and hands on when it comes to teaching.

Heather Glen Elementary School 3

Posted April 18, 2011
My daughter attends Healther Glen and is in the 1st grade. The best part about Heather Glen is Mrs. Collins!! She is a wonderful caring teacher. I agree that the principal and the school programs cater to the non English speaking students and parents. I quit going to the programs and meeting because you can not understand anything that is going on.

Heather Glen Elementary School 2

Posted March 11, 2010
Two teachers stand out head & shoulders above the rest. Mrs. Collins & Ms. King are true inspirations! The principal seems to just be sleepwalking through the job! Effort to reach out to non-spanish speaking parents is not there. The principal exhausts all energies on lower income and non-spanish speaking children, while forgetting the middle class students/parents. I've attended 'family' night at the school for two years, and the whole program was in spanish! I asked my child why didn't the whole grade level participate in the program and was told that the school only asks the Hispanic kids. So my child didn't even get to participate. Others aren't even given an opportunity!!! I guess I should be greatful because when my child was in the 1st grade, only the Hispanic families were given an invitation to attend! the principal needs to wake up now before he loses the school!

Heather Glen Elementary School 1

Posted October 27, 2007
My daughter attended this school for four years. I recomend another school. The only positive experience was Mrs. Collins her first grade teacher.

Heather Glen Elementary School 5

Posted October 27, 2006
I like the school and feel very welcome, I really like the fact you have to be let in be the office. My child likes her teacher and has learned so much in these first few months of school. She comes home and wants to show me what she has learned.

5119 Heather Glen Drive, Garland, TX  75043
Last modified Heather Glen Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.