Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Considering that the only recent review was last year, it's due time for an update. In my opinion, this school has gone to heck in a handbasket the past two years. When my child first started at Kimberlin it was the new principal's first year. I thought Dr Milligan was great. Yes, she changed a lot of things but change is not always bad. The previous principal had been there for several years and was stuck in the past. He literally did not know how to email. His successor shook things up and started to clean house and to bring the school up to date. I felt she was truly a partner with parents and cared about the school and the children. Unfortunately she was only there three years before moving on.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I feel that the teachers are limited by the micro-managing principal. Also, first year teachers are not qualified to work in a gifted school.

Develops character: Disagree

Bullying issues are not addressed, problem children are not disciplined properly, and students who are not performing at the required level are never discharged from the school per policy, and are allowed to continue to detract from the rest of the students' instruction.

I had the wonderful opportunity to have 2 children attend Kimberlin Academy at different times. We felt privileged to attend a school with such high parental involvement. The parents made the school a community. The teachers are engaged and interested in watching your children improve and grow. We never had an issue with our children being pushed too hard or bullied. The kids gave their best and learned to appreciate the differences in other children. My kids are confident in their abilities, love learning and continually get more than just book learning at this wonderful school

I'm about to enter my 7th year as a Kimberlin parents (3 kids) and potentially will be there for 11 years by the time they are all done. Its been a great experience, the emphasis on responsibility and ownership has tought ME lots. Putting these G/T kids together in one building is literally raising the bar. They thrive off of each other, learn from each other and get to be themselves. These kids are "nerds" and don't know it! The peer pressure here, is "the good kind". I am so thankful that we are part of this great program, with great teachers and amazing parental envolvement.

My kids have thrived at Kimberlin. It's great to have them at a school with such concerned teachers, administration and parents. The curriculum is more interesting and in-depth than at other schools they've attended, and their arts and music classes are wonderful.

My eldest child went thru Kimberlin K-5 and is now finishing up at Austin Academy. I have child that has not been in the G/T program and attends a 'normal' neighborhood school. The differences are night and day. I wish my younger child could attend Kimberlin. I'd be willing to move to a house right next door just for her to get in as a 'neighborhood' student. The differences are even apparent to my children. Other schools are just 'fluff' when it comes to academics and there are too many parents doing their kids work. No personal responsibility is taught. At Kimberlin with the Bingo Card, daily assignment books started in 1st grade, changing classes/teachers, etc taught the kids to be leaders. ALL schools should be modeled after Kimberlin. The intergration of the neighborhood kids is also a HUGE plus.

The parent who said that a child is sent to the office for 4 marks is incorrect. Five marks in one day can result in an office trip, but even then, it depends upon what the marks are for. If her child went to the office after 4, there had to have been special circumstances involved. What I love about our system is that all involved know what the marks are for. I worked in other schools with a color change system. By the end of the week, no one can remember why a color change was given. With this system, everyone involved knows, at bare minimum what rule was broken to result in a mark. It is on record so that we can analyze trends as to what subject and time of day marks are happening. It often reveals struggles that no one would have understood without the Bingo card.

Kimberlin is a good school with great emphasis on academics. I am, however, thrown by what gets my child marks on her bingo card. Last year, it was humming. This year, it has been not having a spiral on the desk in time or forgetting homework in homeroom. It's so much like high school that my child is often coming home in tears. Good or bad for them? You be the judge. Perhaps my child isn't cut out for the G/T program. Ugh!

Last modified Kimberlin Academy For Excel is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.