S Garland High School 3

Posted May 16, 2013
Pretty good but need to improve in discipline aspects the staff is really committed with the students and their success

S Garland High School 1

Posted April 29, 2013
Ghetto is as ghetto does. Kids either want to learn or they don't want to. Keep up the spirit. Sad when you go to football games you are told to be careful of gang activity.

S Garland High School 3

Posted August 28, 2012
were* ,*.... Also unlike what somebody else said, most the students, at least while i was at South, weren't at poverty level. My family is upper middle class and lots of the people i knew were from upper middle class families as well.

S Garland High School 5

Posted June 01, 2012
My oldest son graduated in 2008 from SGHS and my youngest will be a senior next year (2012/2013). I have nothing but great things to say about THE South Garland HS. The new principal is fantastic! He is getting the students and staff excited about SGHS. Both my boys passed all their exit TAKS tests their junior year and my oldest did well at Eastfield and is now working for a fantastic company. One parent said that her daughter had to take a remedial math class when she went to the DCCCD, but that's not that uncommon - no matter what high school you attend. I had to myself and I went to a highly rated high school. The biggest complaint I have is that the parents are not involved. The current PTA president is in name only - she has never once called a single meeting the three years we've been there. There were many when my oldest was there. Most football and Class of meetings are attended by a handful of parents. It's really sad. But, that is not the fault of the school - there are plenty of opportunities for involvement, the parents just choose not to be involved.

S Garland High School 1

Posted September 02, 2011
My daughter went to South Garland all 4 years. She took four years of high school math --Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II and Pre-Calculus. She passed every TAKS test with flying colors. She made Bs in mathematics consistantly throughout all 4 years of high school. Upon enrolling in a Dallas County Community College, she tested low in math and has to now take a non-credit remedial math course. What a waste of time and money! South Garland did not prepare her for college adequately nor did it accomplish to TEACH her math. She "got through" math, but learned very little.

S Garland High School 2

Posted October 17, 2010
Lack luster. Teachers at open house all seemed to have an apathetic attitude. One seemed apologetic and basically told my wife and I that he never taught the course before and was "working through" the curriculum". We asked three teachers and none of them ever heard of the name of the psychology teacher (even when we provided the surname from our student's schedule), nor were they helpful in locating the teacher. Science teacher rolled her eyes when we mentioned the relatively new course (forensics) and acted like it was a real challenge to teach. All in all, NOT IMPRESSED.

S Garland High School 2

Posted June 27, 2010
SG does an awesome job providing the students with a wide variety of choices in the cafeteria.

S Garland High School 0

Posted May 13, 2010
I think south garland is a very good school and the teachers are good helpers and its really cool i recommend it to everyone!!

S Garland High School 4

Posted April 07, 2010
i attended South Garland last my freshman and sophmore year and i loved that school! I had some really good friends there and i got along with all the teachers.The principals there tryed to do all they could to improve the school.I recommend South garland to all Middle school students that are going to attend high school next year.

S Garland High School 0

Posted February 04, 2010
I personally attended SGHS for three years. Some of the extracurricular activities were expensive. The main draw back that I experienced were what I percieved to be structural inequalities, as well as segregation among the student population.

S Garland High School
600 Colonel Drive, Garland, TX  75043
Last modified S Garland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
S Garland High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top