No rating

Garland Christian Academy

Private | PK-12 | 326 students

We are best known for great foundation of academics.

Living in Garland

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $108,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,090.

Posted July 17, 2013

All of my children love GCA! We have students in preschool, elementary, and the secondary and all of them have grown so much since starting at Garland Christian. The teachers show that they care for the students and the administration provides a loving yet firm environment for the students to excel. Thank you GCA for all you do for our family! We love all the new ideas and excitement around the school!

Posted May 4, 2013

I am so pleased with GCA !! Our K-5 child is so far advanced than others I have met. GCA is a family orientated school & they treat you as such !! We will stay there until she graduates !!..The teachers are exceptional !!

Posted January 8, 2013

I'm glad to see someone else is seeing and feeling the same thing(s) I have been seeing and feeling this year. This was once a very nice school. I still think the teachers are good and the overall curriculum is good. However, there seems to be a major breakdown in the HS 'office'. The principal would rather laugh off every little thing and just tell everyone 'let's all be friends' while the counselor seems to be on a warpath about inconsequential things. I would think drinking and sex would be two things a Christian school would deal with seriously. Apparently, I was wrong.

Posted February 22, 2012

My wife and I enrolled our son at Garland Christian Academy when he was entering the K4 program. Now, after attending GCA through the fifth grade, he is ready to enter middle school as a young man prepared for the rigors of life and education on the secondary level. We have never questioned our decision to enroll our son at GCA! The faculty are gifted in their varied approaches to teaching, thoughtful and loving toward each student, and respected by the student body. The administration is supportive of students and parents; yet, the teachers are also able to oversee their classrooms with the security of knowing that the administration and parents appreciate what they do. The faculty have received their degrees from Christian universities and colleges as well as liberal arts institutions, and the flow of creative educational ideas is demonstrated in the variety of programs that the elementary students produce for their parents. We are excited for our son to transition to middle school and experience the quality athletics and fine arts that are offered by GCA. My wife and I cannot recommend Garland Christian Academy enough!

Posted February 17, 2012

Love our school! My children have attended GCA since they started school. My son graduated in 2009 and my daughter will graduate in 2013. My son was ready for college after attending GCA all these years. He did very well on his SAT scores and has a scholarship at college right now. I am confident that my daughter will do as well. GCA is strong on academics and with the Bible teaching I feel my children are well prepared for the next step in their education.

Posted February 7, 2012

We love Garland Christian! My wife and I have three children at the school and it is nice to have a school that is safe, has good academics, and emphasizes Biblical character. The teachers are all degreed in their fields of study and are very proficient in their work and it shows in their product - the students. We love the atmosphere and the athletics! The football and basketball teams are at the top of their district! Thank you, GCA, for all you do for our kids! We also love the fact that GCA is growing in enrollment and it seems as though that will only continue. They are up to around 330 students with several classes full. We love the active Alumni Association and Booster Club as well as the new programs being started. The science lab is incredible for a private, non-government funded school!

Posted October 22, 2011

I am a former student, and there is a reason I am a former student. The school offers NO preparation for college, and does its best to limit your world view. Most of the faculty does not hold a degree in a subject related to what they teach. The teachers that I did enjoy while there have left to go to a different school, and for good reason.

Posted July 27, 2011

This school is shrinking in size for a reason. The math program is a joke and most of the teachers do not have a degree. They are a friend of a friend. The good teachers left in the 80`s. The school has about 230 students registered for next year.

Posted July 10, 2008

This school is a wonderful school.It I am a Seventh-day Adventist and all the programs and extracurricular activities is available to me courtesy of them for sabbathkeepers.

Posted February 7, 2008

This is an awesome school. The teachers are loving and they teach respect as well as a quality education.

Posted November 27, 2007

Garland Christian Academy is a great school.

Posted June 4, 2007

Life is full of choices - in order to make wise decisions we must start young. Garland ISD offers open enrollment-I say open to what? We have 2 elementary children enrolled at GCA. To know the teachers at GCA is to love them. The teaching staffs reaches out to families on many levels. Faith based lives is what the GCA environment promotes and in doing so we reap children with A Faith Based directive on life. With the openness of the World today, I pray that our family's faith continues keep us on the right path. Placing Christian beliefs on education, art, music and athletics, our children are socially graced, articulate and well mannered. They are taught to be accountable for their actions- there are many adults that have issue here. We are blessed with GCA. I know that your children and youre would be too.

Posted February 15, 2007

2006/2007 School Year - I have been to all the school function, awards programs, teacher conferences and spoken to the Principal and Secretary. I am amazed at the love shown to both the students and the parents that come from this staff. The teachers offer advice on how to practice at home and participate in class. The field trips have been the best. Usually there are 2 children to 1 adult. You really can't get better than that. The safety is the best I have ever seen. The drop off and pick up is smooth and organized with the child safety at a premium. The curriculum is A Beka. If there is anything bad to say it would be that I can't find the font to match theirs. All in all, I treasure this school and look forward to the years ahead.

Posted September 24, 2006

As a student of Garland Christian since 5th grade I can confidently say this school will install a sense of respect and character in a student that public schools fall very short of. The curriculum provided is that of a college prepatory school that actually prepares you for the experience of responsibility for your academics as well as your actions.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 17, 2006

A high quality education in a Christian environment. GCA has a respectable sports program. There is alot of parent and family involvement here and it is encouraged. Dr. Coleman and Dr. McCartt are wonderful leaders whose vision has made this school what it is and has always been.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 15, 2005

I went here for my last two years of high school, and had a great education with a great community. Great school, recommended if you're not going for an elite school like St. Mark's or Jesuit. My only complaint is the somewhat weak math program, but it seems to be improving with great new teachers. Highly recommended.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 4, 2005

The quality of the academic program is outstanding. GCA opened up their K-4 class in 2003, and now has K-4 through 12. It is a very structured environment, academically, and opportunities in extracurrucular activities. It is a Christian based school, with strong emphasis on Faith. They have great communication between teachers and parents, and have set expectations for each grade. They have a high involvement with parents, from classroom to the court. The cost of the Academy is worth the education received, and the knowledge the children receive from the teachers, and growth spritually.

Posted July 4, 2004

Great school with an excellent staff. The students receive high quality education along with good christian values. Strong emphasis on Bible and living according to God's principles.

Asian or Pacific Islander 4% 4%

College readiness and student pathways

Colleges most students attend after graduation Dallas Baptist University
Harden-Simmons University
John Brown University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Arts & music

• College presentations or information sessions
  • Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Brian Keith
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • AACS
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (972) 276-4079

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
More from this school
  • New possibilities at GCA for 2012 and 2013!! • Installing two or three desktop computers in every classroom in the school to help our students utilize the vast array of educational software available to help their academics come alive outside the textbook. • Installing new computers in the elementary computer lab to better allow them to develop their technology skills. • Giving our 11th-12th grade students tablet computers to assist in their academic research and to utilize the incredible amount of e-textbooks now available. • Looking to partner with educational institutions for opportunities for high school students to take dual-credit and AP classes to enhance the college admission process. • Starting an Early Education Center for infants and toddlers to help the many two-parent working families have a Christian-based, safe place for their children. • Launching the Swordsmen Summer Day Camp program to help working families between school years have fun-filled, activity-based care for their children. • Developing a 7-10 day internship and specialty block class program for our high school students. This would take place in the 2nd semester and allow our high school students to participate in college information trips, Christian leadership trips, specialty practical classes, and internship opportunities with local businesses or trades to investigate possible future endeavors for themselves. • Transforming our high school social studies classes into more of a discussion, comparative, and research based studies of past and current events. • Instituting more writing-intensive curriculum in all grades 4th-12th to assist our students in developing their communication skills. • Hiring a Director of Development to assist GCA in marketing and fundraising so we can offer even a greater array of activities and classes. • Utilizing a third-party tuition collection company called Smart Tuition to handle all of the payment collections. This will give parents better flexibility in payment options. Jump on the GCA bandwagon where our goal is to develop cutting-edge and distinctively-Christian young people who will make a B.I.G. impact in our society!!

Apply now

What does it cost?

Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Dallas Baptist University
Harden-Simmons University
John Brown University
College preparation / awareness offered
Community college courses
College prep programs/courses during the year
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes