Posted June 11, 2014
I am a former student there at Powell. The first moment I walked in the school I knew it was going to be great well when you are in kindergarten they treat you like angles because you are small but on 1st grade the discipline you for your on good but all my years were great but when I got to 5th grade it was a little tuff for me because I didn't understand what I was learning but that moment that the 5th grade teachers knew they we're helping me a lot to pass my STAAR test and also you get to go to camp Grady spruce it is a over night camp with your friends I loved it their you get to go on a mountain and a island and to ride on horses also do archery there a lot more I don't want to spoil it but last but not least my principal Thelma jones was the best you could ever have !!!!!! : ))))))

Posted April 02, 2014
Heard so many great things about this exceptional school. Can't wait for the new year to start for my little one.

Posted December 19, 2013
I have two children attending Colin Powell Elementary and I have to say this school is wonderful. The teachers and programs are top notch. They really care and it shows!

Posted September 28, 2013
There is almost no point in submitting this review since for every bad review, the teachers pose as parents and post a good review. Myself and my child were treated horribly by the teachers and staff at this school. I have to wonder if it is because we were not as "affluent" as others at this school. All snobs! Hate this place.

Posted August 31, 2013
Powell is the BEST public elementary school without hesitation. The principal is strict but in a caring way and the teachers follow suit. We decided to stay in the area simply because of this school and the education our children are getting. One of our children is special needs and we could not ask for a better environment for him. Thank you, Powell, for being the best. We are blessed to be able to attend.

Colin Powell Elementary School 4

Posted August 14, 2013
Powell is a wonderful environment for children. Goals are set high for each child's achievement and parents are expected to participate in their child's education. I have two children still there and one that will attend middle school this year. I know that my children are well taken care of, motivated by the staff, and feel very loved. What more would a parent want for their children?

Posted August 06, 2013
Students and parents are great. Teachers and administrators are awful. They are arrogant, gossipy, and care very little about the actual students in their school. I hate this place and am so glad my kids don't have to go there anymore.

Posted July 23, 2013
I have one child at Powell, and one child just graduated from there. I love the staff, I love the teachers, and I highly recommend and love the school. I was a teacher for several years, and I can verify that educating is one of the most mentally-demanding and emotionally draining jobs you can do. I believe the educators there truly have a calling to teach, and exhibit true dedication to their students. Palomino Proud!!!

Posted June 05, 2013
"They are more concerned with their image and their scores than the actual children who attend the school." i totally agree, in my opinion if a child is struggling they will leave them by the wayside or say they have a disability when in actuality they just dont want to deal with it. If the parent struggles with doing their job (which is teaching them) at home. They will not pick up the slack if your child is slower than the other kids. This staff of people don't really care unless you are making their jobs easier.

Colin Powell Elementary School 3

Posted May 18, 2013
This school is average in my opinion - nothing particularly spectacular about it. Yes, they get good test scores, but that is due more to the students and the involvement of the parents rather than the teachers. There is an arrogant culture within the school - they really, really don't like people to think they are not the best school in town. Thing is, there are lots of great schools in Grand Prairie, Powell does not have the monopoly on that. They are more concerned with their image and their scores than the actual children who attend the school.

Colin Powell Elementary School
5009 South Carrier Parkway, Grand Prairie, TX  75052
Last modified Colin Powell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Colin Powell Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top