Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Colin Powell Elementary School 3

Posted July 06, 2016
Sometimes one can forget who are the teachers as opposed to the students. Good news, this may change since the principle in leaving. Bad news is she will be going to another GPISD school.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted November 19, 2015
Ms Arnold, thank you for making the difference in my introduction to Colin Powell Elementary. Your guidance, responsiveness and patience made the difference. You rock!!

Posted November 19, 2015
We are new to Colin Powell and we have had an awesome experience so far. The school has a diverse population of students and their leaders are equally as diverse. It's truly refreshing to see! The principal is very caring and concerned about the students. Upon meeting her, and my daughte'rs teacher, I knew I had found the perfect fit for my daughter. The environment is very positive and welcoming. The school is clearly passionate about making a difference in public education. The administrators and teachers are easy to work with, patient, supportive and always responsive. We love my daughters new teacher, Ms. Stewart, she has been a pleasure to work with.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 19, 2015
I appreciate giving the students time to complete the homework during the week. We have a demanding schedule at times and it helps to be able to manage it and create a reasonable balance.

Posted June 11, 2014
I am a former student there at Powell. The first moment I walked in the school I knew it was going to be great well when you are in kindergarten they treat you like angles because you are small but on 1st grade the discipline you for your on good but all my years were great but when I got to 5th grade it was a little tuff for me because I didn't understand what I was learning but that moment that the 5th grade teachers knew they we're helping me a lot to pass my STAAR test and also you get to go to camp Grady spruce it is a over night camp with your friends I loved it their you get to go on a mountain and a island and to ride on horses also do archery there a lot more I don't want to spoil it but last but not least my principal Thelma jones was the best you could ever have !!!!!! : ))))))

Posted April 02, 2014
Heard so many great things about this exceptional school. Can't wait for the new year to start for my little one.

Posted December 19, 2013
I have two children attending Colin Powell Elementary and I have to say this school is wonderful. The teachers and programs are top notch. They really care and it shows!

Colin Powell Elementary School 1

Posted September 28, 2013
There is almost no point in submitting this review since for every bad review, the teachers pose as parents and post a good review. Myself and my child were treated horribly by the teachers and staff at this school. I have to wonder if it is because we were not as "affluent" as others at this school. All snobs! Hate this place.

Posted August 31, 2013
Powell is the BEST public elementary school without hesitation. The principal is strict but in a caring way and the teachers follow suit. We decided to stay in the area simply because of this school and the education our children are getting. One of our children is special needs and we could not ask for a better environment for him. Thank you, Powell, for being the best. We are blessed to be able to attend.

Colin Powell Elementary School 4

Posted August 14, 2013
Powell is a wonderful environment for children. Goals are set high for each child's achievement and parents are expected to participate in their child's education. I have two children still there and one that will attend middle school this year. I know that my children are well taken care of, motivated by the staff, and feel very loved. What more would a parent want for their children?

5009 South Carrier Parkway, Grand Prairie, TX  75052
Last modified Colin Powell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.