Union Grove Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 891 students

Living in Harker Heights

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $174,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $680.

Posted August 2, 2014

Our daughter transferred in to UGMS during her 7th grade year. She established friendships quickly, and most of the teachers were great about using technology to the advantage of the student. Her science teacher would even text reminders to the class for homework assignments.

Posted April 28, 2014

I wish I could say this school is living up to it potential but I have notice a drop in teacher/student relationship as it pertains to academia. My oldest son graduated back in 2011 from 8th grade and I can honestly say that this school cared for there students academic success. I have concerns now with my youngest son attending 6th grade. He fells the teachers are stressed and not as patient with the students. I Hope things get better.

Posted February 5, 2014

We are having a difficult time this year getting the teachers to reliably follow my student's 504 plan. They frequently forget to administer tests orally, even nine week's exams. Teachers are willing to re-administer tests upon request, but I should not have to ask my child after each test if it was administered properly. My student is having a difficult time finding time to fill out and have an agenda signed. All of the responsibility for this has been placed upon the student, and when they work from bell to bell, it is difficult for a child with attention and learning issues to quickly add this additional task completely independently.

Posted January 16, 2014

Not as pleased with this school as I once was....principal avoids/ignores email and is not communicative. When finally cornered and made to answer, the answers are vague and not helpful at all. I don't really think the school lives up to the reputation it claims to have.

Posted March 23, 2012

A great school with great programs, athletics & extra curriculars. Our oldest is in his only year at this school before a PCS out of country. The initial transition from elementary to middle was hard b/c he wasn't well organized. That being said, when we addressed our concerns and met with ALL of his teachers save the PE coach, we knew we were getting a full picture of who our child is. Suffice to say, he just received an Academic Excellence award. Now if he can just finish out the year strong I will say that it's been a HARD, well earned year. If you apply yourself, communicate with the teachers & staff, and go in with a clear plan of action, you will get what you seek in regards to the best education this area has to offer.

Posted January 15, 2012

This is my oldest child's first year in middle school and we have had a great experience so far. I was very nervous about moving into the middle school world but my son is making the transition very well. His teachers have been very open, engaging, and positive. One of his teachers is especially good at sending home weekly emails with information about that class and school events. I have found the office staff to be very pleasant and helpful and the administrators to be very visible and encouraging. I have seen the principal or an AP every time I've visited, no matter how brief. EVERY teacher provided an after-school tutoring schedule so the students always have an option to get extra help, if needed. The 6th grade team seems to work very hard at helping last year's 5th graders grow into next year's 7th graders with lots of positive reinforcement, a safe environment, and open communication. I could not be more pleased. Thanks, UGMS, for a great first year of middle school for my child!

Posted September 17, 2011

This is my daughter's first year at UGMS. So far, we LOVE it!!!! She looks forward to going to school every day. I've noticed the teaching styles having a very hands-on approach, and the classes keep her extremely motivated and engaged. The new principal, Mrs. Harris, is almost omnipresent as she is involved with every aspect of this organization. Though she has taken on what I can assume is a huge task, she is always polite and immersed in every aspect of the school that I have seen. The staff in the front office has been very helpful as well. To my surprise, they knew exactly who and where my child was when I came to drop something off to be given to her. Not bad for only two weeks in and one of the largest middle schools in the area! In my defense, my daughter is in all Pre-AP classes, so I cannot comment on the regular classes, but so far, we are extremely impressed!!! I'll let the reputation of choir, band, orchestra, athletics, and other various school organizations speak for themselves as these are not my main concern but when it comes to education, I feel I absolutely made the right choice. Keep up the great work UGMS!!! GO GRIZZLYS!!!!!!

Posted May 17, 2011

I think the Administrators of this school need to focus a little more on the Children that are under developed in education and help them rather than BRAG on how geat the schools Band program and Athletic program is. Come on lets get real and help those under achievers.I know you are more than capable to do it. It seems those Children are left behind.

Posted December 26, 2009

Union Grove has top-notch fine arts programs. Their band and choir are the model for the district. Their athletic programs have excelled. It is unfortunate that I am extremely concerned with my child's education, though. Too many teachers here pump up averages by assigning grades for participation, homework, open book tests, and take home tests. Parents need to take averages of the few tests done with no parental or tutorial assistance to see their child's true progress. Many would be shocked if they did, but as many teachers know, few parents question high grades.

Posted December 9, 2009

This is the most wonderful school i have ever been to. The students and parents who rate it badly are for the most part expecting the school to revolve around them and their child. All of the teachers are well trained, it offers exellent axtra curricular activitys the admin. is amazing, and its easy for parents to get involved in their child's shool. A+++

Posted October 2, 2009

I thought I am doing my son something good with putting him into that school. Well, found out that is was the other way around. Like couple other parents I have to say that there is no teacher-pupil-principal interaction. The kids can do what they want to, how they want to and when they want to do it, literally. We choose this school because of the ratings. The teachers are old, a lot of them, cant control the children, have not clue how and what to teach them. The classes are loud, my child cant concentrate because other kids are mouthing of to the teacher and are loud and do their own thing in class. Parents do not get informed about anything, nobody really cares either. Yes you can sign up for online reports but if the teachers dont put any in we dont get informed.

Posted May 29, 2009

This school saddens me. The teachers are there for a pay check. Many times my child has asked for help but they dont have time..I hate this school. The AP there is sorry and he doesn't care about improving the school

Posted April 26, 2009

Im an eighth grader at UGMS and having been here I think that this a fairly good school. Depending on what level of classes you take really affects what you learn though. I find that having all pre-AP classes has really helped me and couldn't imagine having regular classes. If you take a Pre-AP class the teacher will have more energy and a higher willingness to teach that class. Also there are less kids in a Pre-AP class and that's definitely helped since there are over 1000 people going to this school. Lunch can be chaotic. The lines are really long and you have to go outside and around the building to get back to class. Aside from that, this school is far better from anything else in the school district.

Posted April 24, 2009

UGMS is overall a great school. The teachers are nice and enjoy doing thier jobs, from what I can tell. There are many teams and clubs you can join. The music teachers excell at what they do. Depending on how well you work during class depends on how much homework you get. most teachers give out weekly homework that is given on Monday and is due Friday. Homework is also given when a student has to finish something they didn't during class. (they would just finish the work they didn't get to.) A student will spend on average no more than 1 hour on homework. the administrators are always on thier toes taking care of our school. In Killeen UG is known as the 'It' school, or the school everyone wants to or enjoys to go to. keep up the good work Union Grove!

Posted November 17, 2008

Union Grove is the best middle school in the Killeen area. My daughter has been receiving an excellent education here for the past two years. She especially enjoys her pre-AP classes. The teachers and staff are very caring. There are a high percentage of military children here, as in all schools around Fort Hood, and at Union Grove they respect and accommodate their unique needs. The band program is great. The school's facilites are very nice, although neighborhood growth has caused crowding in the school. Hopefully a new middle school will be added to the area soon. I highly recommend Union Grove Middle School to anyone moving to this area.

Posted July 4, 2008

i am a student here going into 7th grade! i love this school and everything about it! there is so much to do and i love all the pep rallies sooo much! the teachers here are amazing and i love it here!

Posted March 29, 2008

I am very disappointed at the administration. I feel that the prinicipal doesn't want parent involvement unless she requests it. She is not approachable and in my opinion does not convey the type of attitude children can feel comfortable coming to her if they have a problem. The teachers, I have found, are very willing to work with the students and for the most part have their best interest at heart. The school is very nice and has a lot to offer. Now if only the attitude of the head administration would change it would #1.

Posted February 3, 2008

I am very happy with this school overall. I was very nervous about my daughter starting 6th grade but all her teachers and administration have been great. Parent/teacher communication gets an A++. My only complaint is that student lockers are so small, they can not fit regular backpacks or coats in there. They are also not allowed to bring backpacks to class for security reasons and so they carry those awkward binders everywhere.

Posted January 13, 2008

Well this is a pretty good school but, I am a student here and Im in 8th grade. Some of the teachers are pretty understanding and they really strive for greatness but some teachers are horrible, but other teachers like (Ms. Lisa laffey a history teacher) are amazing! The after school programs are good and there are plenty of sports programs. One for everyone,our football team is deceant too. Our music program though is the best around (Ms. Jacks on-band, Ms. Carney-choir, and Ms. Soloph-orchestra) There fenomenal!

Posted December 12, 2007

I found this a pretty good school. They have great clubs and after-school activies. My only complaint was that it is way too packed with 350 6th graders, the lunch line is horrible. Other than that is it good.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

233 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

233 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

274 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

272 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

276 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

270 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

270 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

268 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

268 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students93%

White99%
Economically disadvantaged96%
Not economically disadvantaged99%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

275 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

275 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

277 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

276 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

247 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

245 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

244 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students84%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Asian or Pacific Islander 4% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 2%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Swimming pool

• DAGMAR HARRIS
Fax number
  • (254) 336-6593

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options