Harker Heights, TX

Union Grove Middle School 4

Posted August 02, 2014
Our daughter transferred in to UGMS during her 7th grade year. She established friendships quickly, and most of the teachers were great about using technology to the advantage of the student. Her science teacher would even text reminders to the class for homework assignments.

Union Grove Middle School 2

Posted April 28, 2014
I wish I could say this school is living up to it potential but I have notice a drop in teacher/student relationship as it pertains to academia. My oldest son graduated back in 2011 from 8th grade and I can honestly say that this school cared for there students academic success. I have concerns now with my youngest son attending 6th grade. He fells the teachers are stressed and not as patient with the students. I Hope things get better.

Union Grove Middle School 2

Posted January 16, 2014
Not as pleased with this school as I once was....principal avoids/ignores email and is not communicative. When finally cornered and made to answer, the answers are vague and not helpful at all. I don't really think the school lives up to the reputation it claims to have.

Union Grove Middle School 4

Posted March 23, 2012
A great school with great programs, athletics & extra curriculars. Our oldest is in his only year at this school before a PCS out of country. The initial transition from elementary to middle was hard b/c he wasn't well organized. That being said, when we addressed our concerns and met with ALL of his teachers save the PE coach, we knew we were getting a full picture of who our child is. Suffice to say, he just received an Academic Excellence award. Now if he can just finish out the year strong I will say that it's been a HARD, well earned year. If you apply yourself, communicate with the teachers & staff, and go in with a clear plan of action, you will get what you seek in regards to the best education this area has to offer.

Posted January 15, 2012
This is my oldest child's first year in middle school and we have had a great experience so far. I was very nervous about moving into the middle school world but my son is making the transition very well. His teachers have been very open, engaging, and positive. One of his teachers is especially good at sending home weekly emails with information about that class and school events. I have found the office staff to be very pleasant and helpful and the administrators to be very visible and encouraging. I have seen the principal or an AP every time I've visited, no matter how brief. EVERY teacher provided an after-school tutoring schedule so the students always have an option to get extra help, if needed. The 6th grade team seems to work very hard at helping last year's 5th graders grow into next year's 7th graders with lots of positive reinforcement, a safe environment, and open communication. I could not be more pleased. Thanks, UGMS, for a great first year of middle school for my child!

Posted September 17, 2011
This is my daughter's first year at UGMS. So far, we LOVE it!!!! She looks forward to going to school every day. I've noticed the teaching styles having a very hands-on approach, and the classes keep her extremely motivated and engaged. The new principal, Mrs. Harris, is almost omnipresent as she is involved with every aspect of this organization. Though she has taken on what I can assume is a huge task, she is always polite and immersed in every aspect of the school that I have seen. The staff in the front office has been very helpful as well. To my surprise, they knew exactly who and where my child was when I came to drop something off to be given to her. Not bad for only two weeks in and one of the largest middle schools in the area! In my defense, my daughter is in all Pre-AP classes, so I cannot comment on the regular classes, but so far, we are extremely impressed!!! I'll let the reputation of choir, band, orchestra, athletics, and other various school organizations speak for themselves as these are not my main concern but when it comes to education, I feel I absolutely made the right choice. Keep up the great work UGMS!!! GO GRIZZLYS!!!!!!

Union Grove Middle School 3

Posted May 17, 2011
I think the Administrators of this school need to focus a little more on the Children that are under developed in education and help them rather than BRAG on how geat the schools Band program and Athletic program is. Come on lets get real and help those under achievers.I know you are more than capable to do it. It seems those Children are left behind.

Union Grove Middle School 1

Posted December 26, 2009
Union Grove has top-notch fine arts programs. Their band and choir are the model for the district. Their athletic programs have excelled. It is unfortunate that I am extremely concerned with my child's education, though. Too many teachers here pump up averages by assigning grades for participation, homework, open book tests, and take home tests. Parents need to take averages of the few tests done with no parental or tutorial assistance to see their child's true progress. Many would be shocked if they did, but as many teachers know, few parents question high grades.

Posted December 09, 2009
This is the most wonderful school i have ever been to. The students and parents who rate it badly are for the most part expecting the school to revolve around them and their child. All of the teachers are well trained, it offers exellent axtra curricular activitys the admin. is amazing, and its easy for parents to get involved in their child's shool. A+++

Union Grove Middle School 3

Posted October 02, 2009
I thought I am doing my son something good with putting him into that school. Well, found out that is was the other way around. Like couple other parents I have to say that there is no teacher-pupil-principal interaction. The kids can do what they want to, how they want to and when they want to do it, literally. We choose this school because of the ratings. The teachers are old, a lot of them, cant control the children, have not clue how and what to teach them. The classes are loud, my child cant concentrate because other kids are mouthing of to the teacher and are loud and do their own thing in class. Parents do not get informed about anything, nobody really cares either. Yes you can sign up for online reports but if the teachers dont put any in we dont get informed.

Union Grove Middle School
101 East Iowa Drive, Harker Heights, TX  76548
Last modified Union Grove Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Union Grove Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top