Harker Heights, TX

Posted June 09, 2014
ONE OF THE BEST- I had 3 children went to this school for almost 2 years. I have had at least one child in every grade from pre-k to 4th grade. I loved this school and my children did as well. The teachers are all really great and parents are definitely involved in the school. The kids are rewarded for achievements with awards assemblies and attend-dances. My kids did not want to miss a day of school so they could go to the attend-dance. They also have enrichment groups where they get to pick an activity and go once a week to participate in things like cheerleading, pets, and duck tape design. All the teachers have been loving, caring, and open to meeting with or calling or emailing me when I have questions or concerns. I have no idea how this school rates a 6. I have had my kids in schools from Arizona to Maryland because of the military and this is one of the best. My oldest child came into this school advanced and scored that on the Texas standardized tests and has maintained it throughout our 1.5 years here. I have no idea what other people are complaining about. We are moving this summer and my children and I are sad to leave this school behind.

Posted April 22, 2014
I read a review below and it was pretty funny and very far from the truth. I have both of my kids at this school and I have a good experience and communication with their teachers. The kids sometimes do stay inside due to inclement weather and do like that they do this so my kids don't get sick. Kids no being able to talk during lunch are you kidding me, have you ever been there during lunch? They actually encourage you to go eat lunch with your kid and I do so almost every Friday. I have no complaints about this school whatsoever.

Posted March 26, 2014
This school is great! Reading the negative comments are comical. Parents talking about incorrect grammar from the staff yet not utilizing it in their reviews. I fully believe some people would not be happy anywhere. The school has a system that has been perfected. This system may not be obvious to those who occasionally visit the school or perhaps the kids themselves, but what works, works. You have to have structure to avoid chaos at this age level, and they do. I have had children at this school for 8 years now and I can't complain a bit. Great job guys!!

Skipcha Elementary School 2

Posted February 24, 2014
Skipcha is an education machine. I mean it exactly like it sounds--they churn out kids with the basic level of education required to move on. Special considerations, TAG or Special ED, are not well tolerated. Parents are openly encouraged to stay away. We referred to it as "the prison." Kids are frequently kept inside during recess-and watch tv--are never allowed to talk, even at lunch, and the PE program is a joke. Are you surprised to know they have discipline issues? My 2 kids sadly attended 1-5th grade here. The only reason I didn't pull them is because the individual teachers they had were good (Lugo, Foss). Unfortunately, the on-post schools here are worse, so unless you home school, there is no better option:(

Posted June 06, 2013
We rented a home specifically to attended this school over being on post. My son attended first and second grade at Skipcha (2011-2013)and the teachers that he has had (Shams & Brown) have been excellent in both communication with me as a parent, and information sent home. Offered open conference times daily. They have seen potential in my son and have encouraged him daily in the classroom to do better and perform at his highest level. He is a honor roll student but needs to take more time on work and they encouraged him to do so. Pros: teacher quality, the fresh new viewpoint of the younger teachers that are so vibrant and fun for the kids. Friday enrichment days, awards ceremonies and silver star child for recognition of good work/behavior. Immediate resolution of bullying. Cons: Closing the door at bell time on children walking up, yes we experienced this too and it upset me, and the atten"dance" for childen with perfect attendance (when your sick you need to stay home), School policy regarding younger siblings not welcome (some of us parents atcually watch our children and demand good behavior) but can't help w/this rule, and no art program in curriculum.

Skipcha Elementary School 1

Posted June 05, 2013
Parents beware! As the parent of a kindergartner who had attended preschool in a different location I had high hopes of my child continuing her young education in a caring atmosphere. This couldn't have been further from reality. The teacher was always exasperated at the end of the day and practically shoved the children to their parents, there is no organization or communication at all! Children wait in hallways in the morning , parents are not allowed to walk their children into class. These are 5 and 6 year olds!!!!! The teacher was always frustrated and unapproachable; again this is KINDERGARTEN! Staff are extremely rude and over the course of the year I was called three times at work questioning why my child wasn't at school when my kindergartner had been dropped off. Needless to say I had a heart attack on each instance and then they discovered that my child was actually in class. The drop off and pick up system is pure chaos, many children get locked out alone if they are tardy. ( I mean even one minute!) Policies constantly change without any notification. Children are simply herded like cattle from point A to B. Great private schools in the area, this is your best option.

Posted April 12, 2013
My child has been attending this school since kinder. I have had some issues but have got to say that as far as teachers go, Ms Papke that teaches 3rd grade is absolutely amazing! Daily, my child expresses to me the things was learned, which is something i would always have to ask about in order for it to be discussed. Ms Papke has really brought out the best in my child. I hope Skipcha appreciates how wonderful she really is. They have a truly gifted teacher on their staff. Mrs Parker is also a wonderful principle. My rating is based on the assitant principles. The approach from the assitance principles in resolving issues has been very poor. I have not been satisfied with my issues being handled unless Mrs Parker was involved. The rest of the staff is good as well. Mandy that does attendance is always a ray of sunshine and very pleasant.

Posted February 22, 2013
I loved this school. I am a student that went here since kindergarten and I went to fifth grade last year. My teachers were great and they helped me to get ready to middle school all year long. I just moved recently and I miss the place

Posted August 08, 2012
I love this school. I had moved to this area in the middle of the school year with my son who was in the first grade, and they made the transition simple. His teachers were wonderful as well.

Skipcha Elementary School 3

Posted May 23, 2012
I whole heartedly agree with the review on Feb 2, 2012. This school has an elaborate Science Lab, but it is hardly ever put to use, what a waste.

Skipcha Elementary School
515 Prospector Trail, Harker Heights, TX  76548
Last modified Skipcha Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Skipcha Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top