Mountain View Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 682 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 22, 2013

This is a great school. My son went to pre-k here and is getting ready to start kindergarten and he is very excited. This tells me a lot about how the faculty and staff are. I think all the staff and faculty are friendly and genuinely seem to enjoy teaching the kids. I would not send my son to any other elementary school in the district after experiencing Mountain View.

Posted August 9, 2013

Our son was in first grade last year at MVES. We had a fantastic year. Being a teacher in this same district, I was so impressed with how friendly and open the staff is. Their principal is great- he makes himself visible to the kids and they truly love him. The teachers are great. The PTA is wonderful- they plan monthly activities that involve the entire family. I couldn't ask for a better school for my child!

Posted July 17, 2013

To prospective Indiana parent, misbehaving students do indeed sit out recess. As far as the heat, if anything it is the children who are running, jumping, and playing for that brief 10 minute period who are at greater risk for heat related concerns. And in that short amount of time the greatest risk is feeling thirsty! Hope to serve your children this fall!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 15, 2013

I am moving from Indiana to Harker Height. I am so nervous about this move mainly because of schools for my kindergarten, 2cd , & 4th graders...out of the 3 schools Mountain View seems amazing. My only concern is what I've read about this "Desert" I'm all good with the purpose it serves but as for the heat that Texas has is what makes this not safe..

Posted June 11, 2013

Students who are being disciplined for misbehavior are made to sit out their lunch recess. Not sure if it's still called "The Desert" or not, but IMO this is an appropriate disciplinary measure for misbehaving students.

Posted June 11, 2013

Question...I was reading about "the desert" back in 2011. Is this still being practiced? Im looking at buying a house and deciding between Copperas Cove and Harker Heights....If such a thing is being done at this school it'll make my decision easier. Thank you

Posted February 1, 2012

love love love our school. Teachers are excellent, the staff really does care for the kiddos! Parent involvement is encouraged.

Posted January 15, 2012

We have been a part of the Mountain View Family for 7 years. My oldest son went Kindergarten - 5th grade here and my youngest, 1st-3rd. It has been a positive experience all the way. This is a very community-oriented school. The teachers are committed, open, and genuinely care for their students. The office staff is helpful and friendly, the administration is visible and engaged, the PTA is positive and involved. My kids LOVED Chess Club and after-school Orchestra. We have been very happy with our experience here. After reading the previous comments, to clarify ... the 'desert' is simply another word for 'timeout' at recess. I have experienced every grade level at this school and (for my kids) 5th grade was the only grade to use that term. It just means the kids lost some recess time. My 5th grader spent some time in 'the desert' ... and was not scarred by the event. He just realized that he needed to modify his behavior to enjoy all of recess each day.

Posted December 5, 2011

I am surprised to see so much traffic about the desert practice. My oldest, now in 6th grade across the street, was in the desert about 3-4 times in 2 years. My younger two, both in 2nd, stated that 1 had NEVER been there and the other, only ONCE. Are we really going to get excited over our children being safely disciplined by the school? It's not corporal punishment, its a LOSS of privilege. Its a temporary behavior modification. I cannot imagine spending so much energy worrying about a simple discipline issue. If you don't want your child to lose privileges (play time), then you had better come up with a solution that meets your wishes. I am not saying my kids are perfect, but I am saying that unless I want to do recess duty EVERY day, when my child isn't playing fairly, or acts up, then YES they should lose out on the rest of recess. To me this is a MINOR issue. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. We still have EXCELLENT staff, teachers and the BEST PTA hands down!!

Posted December 5, 2011

Amen! And thank you for posting. I completely agree! And to the person who posted in August, i think the best person to direct your concerns to would be the principal of the school. I am certain she would be able to answer your questions or address your concerns as needed. I truly believe that the fifth grade teachers are excellent and have only the best instrests of their students and the school at heart.

Posted August 24, 2011

So this is seriously practiced? I was hoping this was a hoax. How do I find out more about this and STOP IT now! This is insane and I will pull my children out of this school ASAP if this really happens.

Posted August 8, 2011

OK lets be honest about the "desert". Unless the ground is muddy they stand in the dirt between the cars and the play area, without an option to be in the shade and they all STAND not sit facing the parking lot. If they are not in the "desert" they can go to the covered pavilion for shade. I have seen up to 40 kids standing in the desert for whatever punishment, now tell me that this is effective? How is this different than the corporal punishment that Texas has banned now? As we all know the Texas sun and heat can be very damaging. Maybe they should try other tactics for punishment since clearly this does not work as there are ALWAYS kids in the desert.

Posted July 24, 2011

Can somebody please clarify this "DESERT" business?? I will not stand for that and need to make a decision on where my children will attend school. That is absolutely unacceptable. We come from DODEA schools where the Army Post has power to control issues like this... help please.

Posted April 16, 2011

Academically I think the school goes above and beyond to reach the needs of my children. However, recently I walked passed a class and overheard a teacher yelling at her class that they were going to stand in a desert. I learn that they make kids stand in the sun facing the parking lot in the heat as a punishment. How is this any different than a dunce cap in a corner? For this I am grateful that we won't be here long enough for my kids to have to go through that. That's embarrassing and degrading.

Posted April 12, 2011

Military family, 3 years with this school. My son entered into 5th grade coming from an out of state school on an ILP. It didn't transfer here and I was nervous. His teacher was a miracle worker who gave him a love of reading and an attitude towards testing that launched him out of the box he had been placed in. My daughter, who is advanced, was placed in a cluster class and loves it. What impresses me most is the over all character they recognize and develop in the kids. They have community programs that encourage the kids to think of others and teach them that they can help and are important. I LOVE this school.

Posted July 7, 2010

We spent 2 school years at Mt View...when we left this last April, I had a 3rd Grader, 1st Grader and Preschooler. I cannot say enough about the quality of this school! It takes leaving a place to really appreciate it, I think. My first two children were TAG identified, and they were pushed to their potential. I thought that moving to a Metropolitan area would put them at a disadvantage, but my kids were far ahead of their classmates when they enrolled. Being an involved parent makes a huge difference, in my opinion! I always felt in the loop, and felt I had a voice. No school is perfect, but this school has been nurturing, encouraging, and motivating despite a rough duty station (deployment of a parent). Counselors are phenomenal!

Posted May 1, 2010

Mountain View Elementary School cares very much about each and every student. This is Pre-K through 6th Grade. They go beyond the call of duty to help each student, as if that was there only student. This is from the Principal to the Custodians. Mountain View Elementary School has a great reputation of being one of the best school in the Killeen ISD.

Posted February 19, 2010

At present, we have a 3rd and a 1st grader enrolled at Mountain View. My eldest has been a lion for four years. We love this school Every teacher we have had has been wonderful to work with and has truly gotten to know their learning style. They maintain high behaviorial standards. It is a nice size school, not too big. Whenever I have had concerns, the teachers and administraion have heard me and we've resolved the issue. In pariticular, my eldest has dyslexia. The understanding and program that Mtn View has given her has been outstanding. ONce Identified as dyslexic, and enrolled in the program her reading has gone from weak to proficient within six months. If i could, I would take this school with me to our next duty station.

Posted February 19, 2010

a great school! it is a smaller and more traditional school. nothing fancy or big about it. thats what I love about it.

Posted September 20, 2009

Moutain is located in a great community. I currently have a 5th grader and a 3rd grader who attendened Mt. View. Both my children have been their since pre-k. The staff at Mt. View are great, they are dedicated to the education of every child. It is among the few public schools in Texas to receive a distinguished GreatSchools Rating of 8 out of 10. Just last school year parents voulenteered 3000 hours of their time; in helping the students reading groups, school activites, class room / teacher help and field trips. The Mt. View Community is great and we all dedicate all we can in making our school the best in the KISDistrict. I'm a proud parent of two Mt. Lions.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

115 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

114 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

125 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

124 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

119 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

138 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

137 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

137 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students90%

Not special education94%
Proficient in English91%
Non-migrant91%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students89%

Proficient in English77%
Non-migrant76%
Non-Gifted72%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian 6% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Rated Exemplary by the state of Texas (2011)
  • Recognized Rating (2010)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Gym

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Nancy Varljen
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone

• Orchestra
Performing arts
  • Dance

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper