Posted August 14, 2014
After reading the latest reviews I feel that I must respond to April 29. I do not know how in the world that parent can claim that the principal is incompetent. Dr. Podhaski has been nothing short of AMAZING as he kept the school running smoothly through a long and trying year of major renovation construction at Mountain View. Through it all he has remained the calm, caring, nurturing education professional that he has been since coming to MV two years ago. Had the 4/29 comment been made before that I would not be coming to anyone's defense. But the fact is that there is NO principal better than Dr. P.! To incoming parents: Of course everyone has an opinion, but you can rely on those posted by the vast majority that Mountain View remains an excellent school.

Posted August 13, 2014
This is a great elementary school. The principal is fantastic and the staff is so friendly. The teachers are so creative and you can really see the love for the children at the school. I am so glad we are zoned for this campus!

Posted June 22, 2014
I love this school and so does my child. Is it perfect? Of course not, but I think it is the best in the area. I feel that the administration cares very much about the students, and the principal is a great leader while also being a warm, consistent role model for the students. The PTA is very involved and has raised funds for new playground equipment this year, and I'm sure much more that I'm not aware of. One thing that I do wish had happened this past year is that my child's teacher had been more involved with parents, handed back more work throughout the year instead of at the end, and had kept an up-to-date internet page where we could find out more information.

Mountain View Elementary School 1

Posted April 29, 2014
This school is a tremendous disappointment. The principal is incompetent and so are the assistant principals. They want you to believe they are on top of things, but in all honesty, very little gets done and students are not a priority. Some teachers work very hard to provide for the students, but without a strong leadership, its a lost cause. Hopefully a new principal will come along who really knows how to run a school effectively.

Posted August 22, 2013
This is a great school. My son went to pre-k here and is getting ready to start kindergarten and he is very excited. This tells me a lot about how the faculty and staff are. I think all the staff and faculty are friendly and genuinely seem to enjoy teaching the kids. I would not send my son to any other elementary school in the district after experiencing Mountain View.

Mountain View Elementary School 4

Posted July 15, 2013
I am moving from Indiana to Harker Height. I am so nervous about this move mainly because of schools for my kindergarten, 2cd , & 4th graders...out of the 3 schools Mountain View seems amazing. My only concern is what I've read about this "Desert" I'm all good with the purpose it serves but as for the heat that Texas has is what makes this not safe..

Posted June 11, 2013
Students who are being disciplined for misbehavior are made to sit out their lunch recess. Not sure if it's still called "The Desert" or not, but IMO this is an appropriate disciplinary measure for misbehaving students.

Mountain View Elementary School 1

Posted June 11, 2013
Question...I was reading about "the desert" back in 2011. Is this still being practiced? Im looking at buying a house and deciding between Copperas Cove and Harker Heights....If such a thing is being done at this school it'll make my decision easier. Thank you

Posted February 01, 2012
love love love our school. Teachers are excellent, the staff really does care for the kiddos! Parent involvement is encouraged.

Posted January 15, 2012
We have been a part of the Mountain View Family for 7 years. My oldest son went Kindergarten - 5th grade here and my youngest, 1st-3rd. It has been a positive experience all the way. This is a very community-oriented school. The teachers are committed, open, and genuinely care for their students. The office staff is helpful and friendly, the administration is visible and engaged, the PTA is positive and involved. My kids LOVED Chess Club and after-school Orchestra. We have been very happy with our experience here. After reading the previous comments, to clarify ... the 'desert' is simply another word for 'timeout' at recess. I have experienced every grade level at this school and (for my kids) 5th grade was the only grade to use that term. It just means the kids lost some recess time. My 5th grader spent some time in 'the desert' ... and was not scarred by the event. He just realized that he needed to modify his behavior to enjoy all of recess each day.

Mountain View Elementary School
500 Mountain Lion Road, Harker Heights, TX  76548
(254) 336-1900
Last modified Mountain View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mountain View Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 68 reviews. Top