No rating

St. John's Upper

Private | K-12

Student diversity

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $381,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,050.

Posted April 18, 2013

When my child went to St. John's (all the way K-12), he was not supported emotionally at all. Some of the teachers and much of the staff were uncaring and rigid. The former principle, "Mr. A", was the worst principal I have EVER come across. Why that man is in education, I will never know. He didn't try to help or connect with the students even a little bit. Because the former principal was so lackluster, I don't have faith that the administration makes good decisions. There are teachers who are absolutely wonderful, the rigid ones were the exceptions. These rigid teachers seem to be completely oblivious to the changes that occur throughout adolescence, and some of them don't even seem to care. St. John's is not focused on your child growing in every area, only academically. They don't focus on emotional intelligence at all. The staff jumps to conclusions and doesn't guide students through normal teenage problems. Social issues get out of control, like bullying. When my son was in elementary school, the teachers found out some kids were "going out" and cancelled the yearly school trip. What kind of message does that send? I should have sent my child to boarding school.

Posted July 6, 2009

Academically, St. John's is an exceptionally strong school. It prepares its students to be at the top of their classes in college, especially in sciences and writing courses. However, the environment is extremely stressful and not for all types of students. Every single student at this school is exceptionally smart and those who are only slightly above average may feel as thought they are the least intelligent in their class. Another downfall is their lack of a strong Fine Arts program. The athletics are decent, especially for such a small private school. A St. John's student is almost always guaranteed to get in to college, with the great academics and the fabulous college counselors.

Posted October 8, 2007

I am an alumni of St. John's and I have the priviledge of sharing with you what an unique environment SJS offers its students. The teachers are outsanding, the facilities are top notch, and the academics are at a collegiate level. I was so prepared for college that I was editing senior thesis papers during my freshman year. I also have an incredible group of friends from my class who, seven years later, I still see on a regular basis. Not only are they my friends, but they are a part of my network of business associates as well. My experience was unforgettable and when I have children, there is no question in my mind that I will send them there.

Posted August 11, 2006

Very possibly the most advanced academics in the Houston area, most definitely one of the best in the state. St. John's has a wonderful selection of electives from classes that examine advanced college level math to courses that study current events from a historical perspective, ex. Middle East History AP. While their sports programs lag in most areas, St. John's is the reigning boys and girls SPC lacrosse champions (and are the proud hosts of many lax clinics). Their fine arts program is excellent, but only if the student pursues that course- there is very little in the way of required fine arts classes.

Posted August 13, 2005

Oustanding school that opens doors for high school children looking to attend a good college

Posted March 6, 2005

St. John's has provided an amazing educational experience for my two girls. With one as a freshman and one as a senior, I can't believe how lucky we are to send our kids to such a great school. The campus is like that of an Ivy League college, as is the education. The educational levels are beyond extraordinary, yet the kids don't realize how extremely talented they are and how lucky they are to be so priveleged.

2401 Claremont Lane