No rating

Memorial Christian Academy

Private | PK-6

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $209,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $910.

Posted March 30, 2014

I am so glad my daughter chose to send our granddaughter to MCA. I have enjoyed watching her blossom into a god centered, confident, independent young lady. Her teacher is amazing and cares deeply for the students on an academic and spiritual level. The students very much respect the teacher and enjoy the learning environment. We love participating in schools events like Sports Fest, Go Texan Day, and fundraising activities. The PTO is awesome!

Posted March 30, 2014

This is our first year at MCA and couldn't be happier. I was surprised to find out how affordable the tuition is considering the quality of the school. Classes are small and children are given one on one time with their teacher. The kids are extremely well mannered as compared to our last school. We plan to stay with MCA through 5th grade and feel confident that our daughter will be ready for any school when she leaves! This school is a hidden gem!

Posted March 29, 2014

I am so thankful to have found an academically focused school that still provides art classes, physical education classes, music programs, optional dance classes, science fair, spelling bees, and more. Too many schools have eliminated such programs because of budget cuts. Thanks MCA for making well rounded children and exposing them to ALL the beauties of life!

Posted March 20, 2014

Simply an outstanding school. If that isn't enough, it is also an exceptional value. I am absolutely ECSTATIC by the progress my 4 year old daughter is making in the Pre-K program. I can say, without question, that she will be light years ahead of her peers when she enters public school kindergarten next fall. My daughter has developed such strong phonics and decoding skills that she is already reading and comprehending simple sentences. The school nurtures each child and provides a safe and secure environment where each child can flourish. I am so excited when I pick her up in the afternoon because she can't wait to tell me about her day and all the wonderful activities she has been apart of and enjoyed so much. If you can't tell, I absolutely love this school and would not hesitate to recommend it to any parent who asks.

Posted February 26, 2014

My son is in his second year at MCA and loves it. This is the second private Christian school he has attended and the quality of education compared to the previous school is superb. The student/teacher ratios are great and students really get the one on one attention from teachers. The teachers are really interested in making sure students truly learn and grow.

Posted February 16, 2014

We are in our second year at MCA and enjoying it immensely Having come from a school with 30 children in the class my child is much happier and thriving in her educational pursuits. The classes here are small and staff and parents are like family. The curriculum is challenging but the small class size allows the time to make sure each child gets the material. MCA encourages independence, respect, hard work, and strong Christian lifestyle. They are always looking for new ways to improve their program and make the school fun and engaging. They have a high retention rate among their teachers. Most of them have been there for 5-10+ years. We will finish out 5th grade there and be sad to leave after!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 25, 2013

My son attend this school from Kindergarden thru 2nd grade. This school has small classes which is condusive for learning.The teachers care about the students not only what they do in the classroom but outside the class room. The school is based on christian priniciple but teaches kid to live a christian life in the 21 century. We moved to another state, I can truely see the value and academic excellence they instillled in my son.

Posted August 28, 2012

My son currently attends MCA and he couldn't wait for the new school year to start. He attended pre-k there last year and we both fell in love with the small class sizes and the extremely nice and friendly staff. Over all I give this school a 5 out of 5 stars for great tuition prices and wonder kid friendly learning environment.

Posted August 29, 2011

I was soooo, like majorly skeptical of this school because of the low price.. I thought compared to other private schools I may just get what I pay for... That was not the case at all.. My son attended MCA for pre-K and it was the best decision I made.. By the end of the year he was sounding out blends and reading sight words. He knew his numbers from 1-100, couting by 10 to 100 as well, and was adding up to the number 10.. He knew shapes outside of the norm like sphere, cube and cylinder... Once we were at the library closer to the galeria area and he made a new friend that was a year older than him going to one of the neighboring private schools, and believe it or not, the little girl only knew the alphabet song.. Her mother was spending at least double compared to what I spent and knew far less than half of what my son knew.. We're moving closer to downtown so unfortunately he didn't start kindergarten at MCA. :(... However if the neighborhood school does not measure up, I may have to drive from Meyerland back to MCA every morning.. AND, NO THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT... It's only S's Mom.. :)

Posted February 11, 2011

My daughter just completed her third semester at MCA in December. All I can say is WOW! She had already developed strong phonics skills in her kindergarten class and has continued to develop those skills at an almost unbelievable rate in her first grade class. She loves the trips to the public library where she completes an assignment and chooses books to read at home. There is a strong music program and a very nice catered lunch option for all students. MCA would be an incredible value at any cost, but considering how affordable the tuition and fees are, the value is off the chart. I can't recommend MCA highly enough.

Posted March 4, 2010

Two of my grandsons attended MCA and were more than prepared for public school. I have one grandson currently enrolled there. MCA is small but they have a great program. They do not have a gym or cafeteria. but do have a catered lunch program. They have p.e., music, art, computer, and Spanish for older students. Classes make various trips to places like the library, museums, places of business. MCA has a national test rather than tass or taks, I believe phonics and reading in K4 and K5 are a strong foundation, making students above average readers before 1st grade. The staff are nuturing, yet strong in structure and discipline Parents are welsome to the weekly chapel service that includes a Bible lesson and praise and worship. Character training and values are stressed. Could not be happier with the school and the attention given my grandsons.

Posted March 4, 2010

Love the school, best kept secret in private schools! good price, excellent education, and great social development

Posted February 14, 2010

My son was in the school all the way from day-care all the way through the elementary school. When he went to public school he was well prepared and at least a year ahead of his peers. The tuition is low, class ratio low, teachers who have had years of exp. and an environment that is safe and well developed. I would recommend the school to any parent who is serious about their childs education.

Posted September 26, 2009

This campus has potential, but it lacks the criteria to be a well-rounded school. Administration is poor, there is no library on campus (my child never went to the public library with the school), music/arts programs are not included, there is no school nurse or counselor, no school lunch is provided (only a very expensive catered lunch), no physical education program...I could go on and on and on....

Posted May 1, 2008

Exceptional academic programs. Small classes and total attention to my child. A great experience for my son.

Posted April 10, 2008

My daughter ahs been attending MCA since pre-K and she is now in grade one. I have read the reviews and would like to clarigy some points. Although there is no library on site, the kids visit the public library every week and are expected to read their books. The is dance class and music. The standards are high and parent involvement is expected. The pace is fast, but the teachers are wonderful! I would reccomend this school to anyone wanting a small class size with individualized instruction, as well as a parent who will be involved.

Posted February 28, 2008

As a small Christian school, MCA has high expectations for these students. They work a level above most public schools. Academics is a focal point, but so is personal responsibility, and character training. They expect the parents to support policy and consequences. I disagree with the 2 reviews posted below. I want my child to move at a faster pace. I pay tuition and require that MY child be responsible for his grades. It is not the teachers fault if my child decided to play, or lose focus during a lesson. If my child does not complete his work, there should be consequences. I think that a detention and lowered points are acceptable. The curriculum books are not the same for both grades. Math, Grammar, and Science are grade appropriate. Music lessons were offered at an additional cost. I have had a great experience at MCA. I recommend it!

Posted December 1, 2007

I am a parent of a student currently at this school. My child is in one of the upper grades. The pros of this school are that the student to teacher ratios are small. Also the campus is smaller. The cons are that there are more than one grade level in each class. (5th & 6th are together, 7th & 8th are together). Both grade levels use the same books thereby making it useless to attend the next grade above because your child has already been taught the next grade's curriculum. The pace of the class is very fast and if your child is not able to catch on, you're out of luck. My child's teacher is not very helpful to my child when he doesn't have a good understanding on a subject. As a matter of fact if you as a parent ask for help or an explanation for

Posted January 2, 2007

This school has high expectations for both students and parents. If parents aren't on board, the administration will call them in for a discussion. This philosophy offends many. That being said, the school is tolerant. It will even take kids of parents who can't read or write English(please see review from August, 2005).

Posted March 28, 2006

The quality of academic program is satisfactory, there is great emphasis is getting the kids to read while in Pre-K. Sports activities are limit but there is a variety of outdoor activities including field trips. The school is close to the parents and they expect they involvment by arranging kids and parents meals during school days, review of the program with the teachers, and every day school behavior comunication to the parents

Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

School start time
  • 8:30 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:15 p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • ACSI
  • NCSA
Fax number
  • (281) 493-6233

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious