PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)

I had my son at FBA for the 2 year old program and PK3. The 2 year old program was good- only because we were lucky enough to have a good teacher, but the administration and director are terrible. In PK3 program, I am not sure what was worse, the other students or the teachers. Even at 4 years of age- my son was subjected to extreme and CONSTANT bullying which was NEVER addressed.. My son was afraid to tell any teacher if he was bullied b/c he was afraid the teachers would yell at him (never was he like this before!) His self-confidence went down and personality completely changed when he started FBA. It appears that the families that are in the church or have ties in the school have a free pass. There was a new student that had emotional issues that was released from the school 2 weeks into the program and other students were able to stay that had way more severe behavioral issues that completely took away from any learning that should have taken place. The bullying was never resolved after numerous complaints- even when I witnessed behavior first hand. The teachers all were VERY unapproachable, not welcoming, nurturing, or interactive. They would not even acknowledge my child when i dropped him in the early drop off room in the morning.The curriculum was a joke- the outside classes such as computers, library, music, etc. seemed great- but the actual PK curriculum was non-existent- I would say worse than a normal daycare. Every time I would stop in unannounced, the kids were always "playing centers" and teachers sitting in the back of the room talking among themselves. My son started out with a very strong start in terms of learning and feel that he absolutely plateaued/declined when he came to FBA. We took my son out of FBA last summer and moved him to another christian school in Houston. He has absolutely thrived since he has left FBA- he has built back his self confidence that was demolished by attending FBA, he is now allowed and encouraged to be an individual. I thank God everyday that we made the decision to leave FBA. Weeks after leaving FBA he was a new child. - I now have my son back! Anyone considering sending their child to primary school- beware- they will not be challenged or nurtured- overpriced daycare is an understatement! Not an ethical, nurturing, christian environment you would think you would be getting for the price and environment!

I have had my children at FBA from Kindergarten through Middle School. We have had wonderful experiences with the teachers and administration, both Lower School and Middle. My kids are all different and they have all flourished and have been challenged in a positive way. The aspect that I love the most about FBA is the community that is built and that is very supportive of others. FYI - From my perspective, the recent negative reviews on this site are most likely from one disgruntled parent as those reviews are aimed at some of the same issues, but has a similar writing style. Don't believe the hype. :)

Develops character: Disagree

We were able to witness firsthand various students being treated differently than others. They are more concerned with students not being different but all being the same. That is not a way to oversee children who are learning who they are and developing skills.

Our family was not impressed with FBA during our two years we were enrolled there and would not recommend it to anyone exploring their organization. We expected our children to be given the opportunity to grow but instead we typically noticed that teachers were working to get through their own day and not working to help the kids stay engaged. Administration runs the place more like a boot camp which is very differently than what you are sold on during your initial tour of the school. Since we have switched schools, our children have both become more excited to go to school and are more eager to talk about their days. It would be best to look at other places in the area. Former FBA Parent

Our family loves FBA! The teachers are loving, hard working and dedicated to their students. Our kids have excelled at FBA. The class sizes are ideal (approx. 15 to a class) and the facilities are top notch. This school is a true blessing! Great academics. Great community. Great school.

If there was an option for 0 stars I would have chosen that option. FBA used to be a great school but has suffered for many years. Where do I start? I could mention that many teachers elect to leave because of mistreatment or I could mention that several are asked not to come back because they openly disagree with unfair practices. Administration is terrible. They often lie to your face just to save their own skin or neglect to return calls or set up meetings unless your money is valued by them. Did I mention they will lie until you catch them with your own evidence? Watch out new middle school students the new principal will surely shred what was left of a quality school. 8th grade has to be the epitome of overpaying for mediocre academics . My friends son was offered MANY more advanced level classes and her son was in public school. What a laugh she got when I told her how high tuition I was paying. I cannot forget to mention that some students, well let me clarify by saying one STUDENT, was offered those higher level courses while the remainder of the student body was left out. This same student was offered many more opportunities than the entire grade including free tuition when they threatened to pull the student out of the school. If they love your student and the student makes them look good they will bend over backwards for you and imagine our delight when everyone else found out. Rumors rumors. Many 8th grade traditions were taken away or given to the grade level below them including the overpriced computers. Uniforms were changed so many times we wasted money on an item that was changed the next year. The teachers told our students they were the worst batch of kids multiple times and they couldn't wait until they graduated, and our students overheard the teachers talking badly about them. When confronted the teachers lied to the kids faces. AWESOME JOB teaching our kids about morals and ethics. Get ready for multiple infractions for minor things and if you disagree you are met with defensive teachers and admin. So, in conclusion if you like a school with disgruntled teachers, fake leadership, favoritism, overpriced tuition, mediocre academics, and favoritism this is your school! Don't count on 1st choice high school because they wont be able to get in.

In all honesty FBA does have some great caring teachers that do help you in either spiritual or educational problems, but the number of teachers that do not care what you do is outrageous.My bible class does not talk about the salvation. They talk about circumcision or put on veggie tales. In middle school, girls do not get as much sports as boys do. Boys get lacrosse and soccer, but girls do not. There are staff and facility that quit because either they were fired or "they found a better job". Since the departure of many teachers, FBA accepted anybody they could get or at least applied, therefore not really making the teachers policy very high. Whenever girls do something wrong (the majority) the teachers will just laugh or "let it slide", but when the boys do something wrong, the teachers will give them an infraction. The children are either nice or back stabbers. When you complain, little to no action will be done. In middle school, they expect you to pay over $1,000 for a computer that in 7-8 grade, you will barley use. There are students who don't get to go to the high school they want to go to because of the lack of educational advancement FBA gives.

FBA is a school. Either you go there, or you don't. I don't recommend it if you are in 9th grade or above.

MIDDLE SCHOOL ONLY Class Size: PRO Smaller, opportunity to participate & interact w/ teachers. CON Everyone included in everything/knows your business. Academics / Electives: PRO Teachers come to school early for free tutoring/review. CON Not enough electives. Teachers: PRO Some teachers are very caring, innovative and excited about teaching. CON Some are less so. The teachers can be TOO involved. Teachers vote in school elections, pick their favorites overriding peer votes. This does not prepare kids for the real world. Technology: PRO On-line parent portal with assignments, grades and class resources material. One-to-one computer program. CON Only a few teachers keep their portal page updated. Required to purchase computer, yet they have failed to develop the curriculum around using it. Atmosphere: PRO Christian school inside a church. CON FBA lacks a neighborhood/community feel; not enough social events for students to foster camaraderie and build relationships. The school is very hung up on suppressing any individuality. A lot of the rules seem excessively petty. Conclusion: FBA currently suffers from years of poor leadership. Caveat emptor.

The middle school at FBA is very disorganized and ridiculous. My children have attended FBA since kindergarten. The lower school was great and we made memories that will last forever. I could tell my kids enjoyed it and I was very satisfied. Now that my oldest daughter is in her eighth grade year, she couldn't be more depressed. FBA is in this transitional stage that you do not want to be caught in. Multiple experienced teachers left the school simultaneously. That was my first indication that something was wrong. Then my daughter tells me FBA is breaking many eighth grade traditions that she has been anticipating for such a long time. For example, the eighth grade retreat was accompanied by seventh graders this year. Not to mention the cheer captain position was given to two seventh graders rather than the eighth grader. As the school year advanced, I realized there is a huge problem with the discipline in this school. If there is an incident between two students, the first student to tell an adult is labeled the "victim" while the other gets all the punishment, even if there was equal damage done on both sides. The 1200 words are not enough to express my disappointment.

Last modified First Baptist Academy Houston is a Private school that serves grades PK-8