Houston, TX
Before care: Yes

First Baptist Academy Houston 2

Posted October 01, 2014
FBA middle school is very poorly run & the administration is out of touch with what builds great children. FBA is run for the general masses & doesn't develop/promote special talents. FBA administration puts up a good front, but follow through isn't there. FBA doesn't prepare its kids for the future compared to reasonably good private schools. The test scores prove it. FBA doesn't know how to develop boys, nor does FBA understand them. They are way off here. In general, they love & support most girls infinitely more. FBA hangs on to teachers they should fire when evidence is overwhelming against supporting those teachers. The FBA administration imposes its own wants & desires on a student body that should be relatively free to learn to work out social situations without interference UNLESS there is a threat of harm to someone. Their meddling cripples the true development of the kids and harms them for their entry into a world that awaits them. FBA administration should quit believing its own self assessment & start making efforts to earn the expensive tuition they charge. They won't, because they can always fill the seats with average students. Admission standards are low.

Posted June 24, 2014
I love having my kids at FBA! Amazing and encouraging faculty, engaged administration and a wonderful Christian atmosphere. My kids have grown so much academically and socially - and it's due to FBA.

Posted January 10, 2014
I have been a part of this school for the last 2 years on a volunteer basis. My wife and I will be sending our own children here in the near future. The school has lots of pride and the new Head of School is such a blessing. He is a leader and really has a heart for the well rounded student. He cares about academics and athletics, he realizes all of this makes for a strong school and a great experience for the institution.

Posted November 06, 2013
We are in our second year at FBA with both a PreK student and a Lower School student. While last year was somewhat transitional as they searched for a new Head of School, this year has had a tremendous beginning. The Head of School is a great leader who takes time to be with the students and parents. The teachers challenge the kids academically, but also give them confidence. I'm so grateful that my kids are getting such a strong education in a place that they are loved and taught Christian values. Honestly, after being part of other schools, I had no idea what we were missing until we came here. We love the school - most importantly, our KIDS love the school. And I love that parents are involved in so many ways - from the parent association to booster club to reading to students in the library. It's a great place for both of my kids.

First Baptist Academy Houston 1

Posted April 19, 2013
This school is in a transitional stage. Don't get caught in it. They haven't had any real leadership in the last 2 years. Many graduating 8th graders were not able to get into their chosen high schools because they weren't qualified. The lack of leadership reflects in lack of education. Many teachers don't know how to teach or don't care about teaching and in turn, when a parent complains, nothing gets done or changes. It seems like it is just a burden for the prinicipal to take time out to meet and in the end nothing gets done. There is no concern about any individual child. The program is turning into a one size fits all environment. This school does not compare to its competitors. The other schools are much stronger with more high school credit options. This school lacks strong parent involvement-a red flag!

Posted September 30, 2012
We are in our third year at FBA and truly love it. The community is built of kind and genuine people, the academics are strong, and the teachers are fabulous. There are sports and extra curricular activities for everyone. The small class sizes and accreditations are also bonuses. This is the hidden gem of Houston independent schools!

Posted April 18, 2012
This is a great school!! The teachers are great and the teaching is awesome!! The students are very friendly and behaved. They have a new athletic complex and i am very blessed that they have such a great area to strengthen their athletic skills, also.

First Baptist Academy Houston 1

Posted June 13, 2011
My child was in the preschool department. Although the educational aspect did seem strong, there wasn't the nurturing, loving environment I expected for the age group. The teachers just seemed a little too sharp for the age group. The nap time was ridiculously long for 2 1/2 - 3 year olds, at one point extending to 2 1/2 hours. Children that did not nap were given a single book for the period. I would often arrive during nap time, though towards the end, and see multiple children laying there awake in the semi-darkness while the teachers chatted among themselves. I was surprised they didn't pay more attention to non-napping students, especially given the length of the nap time. Also, because the day is so long, it feels more like a daycare and less like a preschool or MDO program. When I voiced my concerns to the primary school principal, she was ridiculously defensive and unwilling to consider the idea there might be a problem with her teachers. Instead, she immediately assumed anything I saw in my child was merely a reflection of my own worries. My child immediately flourished in another school when taken out of FBA. My child hated FBA, not school generally.

Posted February 15, 2011
After being homeschooled preK-7th, our son entered 8th gr. @FBA, fall 2010. Admin/faculty: Staff go above & beyond to ensure students' needs are met. They are friendly, competent, honest, attentive, consistent in enforcing rules. As the parent of an 8th grader, everyone I've met is excellent/positive, providing 5-star service--head of school, principal, teachers, librarian, administrative staff, nurse, coaches. Facilities: Property is well-maintained, esp. clean restrooms. Academics: 8th gr. curriculum is high school/college-prep. E.g., students are taught to outline/take notes, write a variety of papers, and give presentations. Atmosphere: FBA & the church share the building, and I feel this improves the atmosphere. Maybe it s having other (non-FBA) adults on the premises. There are times the school accommodates a church event and the church accommodates a school event. ~5-10 Tuesdays in the fall & 10 in the spring are harder for those picking up kids after 5:30pm; traffic cops help out. The inconvenience is a small price compared to the benefit of having church staff in the building. FBA is a well-run school staffed by kind, competent people who aim high.

Posted February 03, 2011
First Baptist Academy has been such a wonderful school for my two boys. Not only does it provide a nurturing environment, but the focus of academics is very challenging. I always recommend First Baptist Academy to my friends.

First Baptist Academy Houston
7450 Memorial Woods Drive, Houston, TX  77024
Last modified First Baptist Academy Houston is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
First Baptist Academy Houston Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top