Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Reactions from the kids give me an idea of how the teachers are and most I have met. A true picture is staying involved and engaged with all concern.

Amount of homework: Agree

Children need to keep the mind active and open to continue the learning process. Pro education even at home.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Through 20 years of experience with the school and a good rapport with staff, children, and teachers..

Life is short and we are bound to encounter the trials of life or the school of life. We all desire to have the best for our children. An advocate of quality education I chose Varnett. For over 20 years Varnett has been a part of my life with now three grandchildren. The oldest sharing school years from pre-k to graduation. We shared good memorable years which encouraged my decision to enroll the other two in the Varnett School. Coming from the 22 year old, " Varnett was a genuine good foundation in my educational journey.'' "Separated from many of my Varnett friends, ironically we met again and graduated from Lamar sharing the years at Varnett,'' My thoughts capturing the memories leads to a spirit of excellence, a quality academic curriculum, a high standard of education meeting the socioeconomic needs of the community, preparing our future generations and teachers of high concern for the students achievement are all valuables in my opinion of the Varnett School. Thanks for this opportunity to share this great educational experience in spite of some negative past, our children are our future. Of course, there are always opportunities for growth and challenges and that's what we as parents are for to volunteer and help by any means necessary. Varnett School.

Horrible school they call for every little thing they suspend my child for laughing... My daughter hated it she said they wasn't teach her anything

I loved Varnett! My son (Ethan) attends kindergarten and I like the fact that he is learning first grade material! The teacher Mrs. Thornton is GREAT! She makes it fun to learn and communicates with parents. Very good curriculum and I love the fact they keep you updated daily on your child progress.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I love that my son has all teachers of different cultures! Since we are in the beginning of the school year I really cant say. I will say Ms. Kennedy his math teacher is very effective with communication!

Develops character: Agree

It provides an open enrollment for students or all areas so it gives opportunity to those that may be zoned to a none performing school.

This is my son's second time going to this school. I must say he has been all over the place FBISD and HISD and I find this school the best. We are in a new year but so far I am impressed. The reason I removed him was the administration I had no issue with the school or education it was the attitudes of the ADMIN. We are only one month in the school year and the lady already knows my name in the front. The reason I won't give a 5 star is 1. we are only a month in 2. The only con so far is the school bus service if you do not sign you child up on the first day your out of luck I just think since they accept so many kids they should have a larger transportation option in place. But overall I love that they keep they're website updated with pictures and you can even save the calendar in your email calendar therefore your aware of the activities they have in place. I love that they always have something going on for the kids to keep them excited about school. We didn't go on not one field trip, have field day and the communication in both districts were bad. I see a lot of people saying they are money hungry but I see the money going on some good causes. 1. Restrooms in classrooms 2. Students working with laptops 3. Free transportation 4. Field trips and different activities during the year 5.Large classrooms and desk space. The cons- No extra curricular activities(basketball, football, dance, etc.) No way to access and view your child's grades online so it leaves me lost until report card day comes(which is scary) No tutorials/mentor program for kids falling behind

Amount of homework: Agree

I think they should be on one accord with homework. Math gives homework everyday and uses the online website which gives me an opportunity to help and see what they are learning. However, all the other 3 teachers are not on board.

Last modified Varnett Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.