Harmony School Of Excellence

Charter | K-12 | 904 students

Posted May 29, 2014

Has much to be desired. Decided on public school instead. Teachers are very hard to get along with.

Posted April 22, 2014

I was forced to move and go to Harmony School of Excellence. It's terrible. They put way to much homework on you, have really bad lunches, and most teachers don't really care about the students. Oh, & no electives! Only options: Spanish, or Turkish & you HAVE TO take one. I now have sleep deprivation to b/c of the homework. I've skipped breakfast a few times, and I don't even eat school lunch (the school's food is B-A-D) so I'm starving when I get home. I advise you to not go here..but if you do, pack your own lunch! Also, the kids get really show-off-y just because they got an A/B on a test. There's also this Chromebook you have to buy but a lot of kids have them unblocked so they just play games when the teacher tells you to take notes or is talking. B/C the teacher's have no personality, there no fun, they somehow manage to make everything BORING! And some of them are unfair about things ("Oh, you were sick? Well that's your problem, so wheres the homework? No? DPS! One more and you get Saturday detention!") and I don't understand why you can't carry your backpack in the classroom. Best if you don't send your kid here, trust me...personal experience!

Posted April 10, 2014

I used to go to Harmony School of Advancement but then got moved to Magnolia West High because we moved houses. Worst thing to ever happen to me. The kids are 100% nicer and friendlier and I have time to complete all my homework, which is a lot, because of block class which is an hour 45 instead of the typical 45 minute period. That means I have 4 classes a day alternating every other day. I'm not as physically tired and the teachers have personality. The only thing is, that it requires a bit of money here and there and they accumulate. But otherwise, I am ahead of other kids my age and I have more academic opportunities. I get to be more culturally diverse and learn things that are otherwise unclear in a public school. As far as school food goes, please bring your own lunch and trust me, once you wear the uniform for about a week or two, fashion is going to be a pleasure for you. I've met my best friends here and by personal experience, I know that we are friendly and helpful to new kids. We are the easiest group of kids to warm up to. Harmony is great.

Posted October 1, 2013

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!. We just got forced to moved our child back to her orininal school were we had never leaved, because they just KICK US OUT, with no mercy!, my child was debastated after to many promisses that the teachers did to us, my child was not the best student ever, and that is one of the reasons that we choose to pick this school, but oh surprice!, they are totally discriminated! about any child that is not up to their level, so if tou do not think your kid is good enough for them do not even bother!!.... you never get to meet the big people like the Princilal etc, and the is so hard to understand the big guy in charge who does not even bother to offer you an apology after an non since explanation....poor quality!, aweful lunch very unexperince teachers, since they quit so often, this makes a big sign!!! So if you are looking for great quality education do not even bother to take your child there!!!....until tday I can believe I had my child go to this experience.

Posted June 7, 2013

The kids at HSE are well-educated and tower above the test scores of public schools. However, the kids act as if they they can pick on you just because their grade in math is higher than yours. plus, unlike Cy- Fair, this school does not include electives such as band, orchestra, choir, etc. If you sre a parent and are thinking about this school, i highly consider otherwise.

Posted November 1, 2012

My daughter just started kindergarten this year at HSE and I am impressed with how much she has grown academically and socially in such a short time. Also, I am yet to see any peeling paint as mentioned in the previous post. HSE listens to parents as well, a new sports complex is being built as we speak and I see this school only getting better.

Posted August 14, 2012

The best thing about HSE is the students. There are almost no behavior issues. Of the students who have been in attendance since it opened (majority Muslim or Indian), most were already high achieving students with above average IQs.This explains the excellent test scores. The majority of students have likely been hand selected in the past despite claiming a lottery. In the past year, a real lottery has been used and the new students more accurately reflect the Houston culture. They claim an excelerated curriculum but dropped most excelerated classes last year in lieu of higher STAAR Test scores despite much objection from parents. Only one GT class per grade is now ahead in curriculum. The great teachers with experience are enouraged to quit after a few years by being harassed by administration so they don't have to pay them the higher salary. For 2012-2013 there are appr. 20 new teachers. Many of the teachers lost were great and the new ones are first year teachers with NO experience. They are so cheap that the inside hasn't been painted in three years. Paint is peeling. Expect this school to be an average school within the next couple years.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 22, 2012

My Daughter has been going to a Harmony School since Kindergarten. She is now in the 4th grade and reads at a 6th grade level. She is an avid reader and reads on average about 30 books a year, which she has to take tests on weekly. Her math skills are currently at about the 5th grade level. I am particularly impressed with her ability to solve multi-level mathematic word problems. She scores 100% on both the Math and reading sections of the TAKS. All of my life growing up in America I have been told that these types of academic achievements are not possible for African American girls, given their inferior cognitive capacity as a result of genetic pre-dispositions. I can confidently say that 80% of my daughter accomplishments can be attributed to the outstanding teachers and administrators at her school and the culture of high expectations they have created. I have never witnessed the type of constructive competitiveness that has grown organically within the student body at such a young age. The dedication of the teachers and staff is amazing, as they come in on the weekends or stay afterschool to help studnets who are having problems.

Posted June 22, 2011

we love Harmony School of Excellence, great school, great parent involvement, and great teacher!!!!! so happy with the school!!!

Posted January 9, 2011

My daughter has been attending school since 3rd grade, she is now a 6th grader and I am very pleased with the education she has received thus far. I was skeptical in the beginning because of the mainly Turkish/Muslim backgrounds of the educators but my mind is at ease now....there is no forcing of their religion/belief system. The education of the students is the primary goal at HSE. I love the enthusiasm of the teachers and the parent involvement is AWESOME!

Posted November 10, 2010

This school is EXCELLENT! My son had been attending Cy-Fair schools and had been having a problem with bullies. This school has no bullies, the students there are educationally motivated. Students, parents and teachers are all interested in education - they are not killing time or using the school as a "babysitter" as so many regular school districts seem to be now. My son was able to be around other kids who valued education, and there is a HUGE multicultural element. There are students of all nationalites and cultures. There isn't a large focus on sports activites, academics takes center stage. That being said, lunch is not a good experience and most children choose to take their lunches. Harmony now offers a seperate High School that he attends and is very happy with it.

Posted November 8, 2010

I have been very pleased with the education my two children have been receiving at Harmony. The teachers are wonderful and give great one-on-one attention to the students. The curriculum is challenging and my children are learning the necessary skills to prepare them for college. They are getting a private school education without the expense.

Posted October 14, 2010

My daughter and son love going to Harmony and that is such a great feeling as a parent. They have made such good friends. They are learning in a challenging enviroment and one where the teachers are always there for their students. I know as a parent that they are going to be safe and are preparing for their future.

Posted September 30, 2010

Our decision to attend HSE has been one of the best choices we've made concerning our children's education. The school has so much to offer from an academic perspective. The staff and student population is very diverse which allows young people to experience other cultures and begin to understand how to navigate in a global setting. We are extremely pleased with their no-nonsense stance on discipline and feel that they have created a positive learning environment for the students. Great school, great choice.

Posted July 1, 2010

I have 3 children that have attended HSE since it opened. Here are a couple of important facts that may be helpful for someone: Don't be mislead by the high score! In comparison, all public schools would reflect higher scores if they were able to select their student body! These students making the grade for HSE are doing so because they were already great students in their formal schools-not bcause of a superior education rec'vd at HSE. There is a new principal each yr. Regardless of what is said, HSE students are not selected by a "blind lottery". Student's test scores, report card, & an interview process (in order to be entered into the lottery pool) would not be necessary for a "blind" lotto. Also, know that many teachers are not certified thru the state of TX-it's not required! Read up on Charter schools (report) on T.E.A. site.

Posted May 6, 2010

After many months of research we found this school is the best in Houston, TX, admission here is kind of luck game but good luck!

Posted May 5, 2010

For starters, I went to Harmony for a year and thought this was going to be a great school. Though later on it got pretty strange. I feel like this school has less education. And I was hoping for electives rather than paying hundreds of dollars afterschool. And the teachers have accents which are really hard to understand them when learning. I also think that they force you to classes. The school i go to now is free and have great classes for optional learning. But i liked the other things like people, computers etc. The food is disgusting! some people have found other things rather than normal foods. The library is too small, and the school is small. And less freedoms from uniforms. Overall, even though i wrote too long, you should try it at least. ?

Posted April 27, 2010

This school is horrible!! There is a language issue between students and teachers and they have a conduct system that is out of this world. Your child will hate the lunch. There is no good after school care or clubs just reconsider what you are doing when enrolling your child. Ask other children who go to the school what they think about it .

Posted January 28, 2010

I have a love/hate relationship with this school. It is like more or less any other school, with pros and cons. For example, pros could be that the math and science departments are very excellent and that you will learn a lot more than any other of the public schools in the area. The after school clubs are of good variety, and the library is a comfortable place to be in. Also, the school has modern computers and excellent computer classes. The downsides are that the school does have a few problems with some teachers in the school who either do not make much sense or cannot fully explain questions. The school food is the worst thing ever, so PLEASE pack your own lunch. Also, there are not that many electives. I love Harmony, but it has its pros and cons.

Posted October 21, 2009

I am a student at harmony school of excellence! I really enjoy this school! The staff memebers are very friendly and the academics are incredeble.! This school has fun things that you can be involved in. And the teachers are very caring and generous. It is a very safe school and nothing bad really goes on! I have never witnessed one fight during the whole 4 years i have been there! The school is very small, and I like that a lot. I feel very comfortable and safe.! Overall I really love harmony! (ps you might want to pack your own lunch! but other than that, :D)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

73 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

72 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

95 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

97 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

97 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

94 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students95%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

American Indian/Alaska Native N/A 0%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 30%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7340 North Gessner Drive