Public charter
Houston, TX

Posted December 15, 2014
Nothing says school of excellence like asking to speak to your sons principle and getting refused. The principle flat out said he will not speak to me. Administration seems to take each others side and not care about the parents concerns. As I am writing this review, I have been waiting a little over 2 hours to speak to the superintendent and the principle just to hear my complaints.

Posted November 12, 2014
We recently relocated to Houston from a different state and as a parent my main concerns were not only my child's adjustment to a new setting but his continuance of education as well. Now my son has attended catholic schools since Pre-K4 so I was kind of skeptical about enrolling him in charter but after reviewing the school's performance and overall purpose I knew this was the school. The translation was great!!!! I remember his first day was full of nervousness and fear of not having any friends and it showed. A staff member noticed this and approached us to make him feel welcomed. She even took the time out to introduce him to a few of his classmates. After introducing him she pulled me to the side and addressed all the concerns she felt that I had. From then on I knew he was in good hands. Not only has this school welcomed us with open arms I have also noticed my son is more eager to learn and it reflects on his grades, his behavior has improved tremendously, and he LOVES to read!!!! I would highly recommend this school for any parent looking to invest in there child's future.
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 30, 2014
In elementary everything is good and awesome until you get to middle school that's when students want more freedom and more ways to express themselves. But in this school they won't let you express yourself in any way. They are too strict with their dress code they don't let you wear jewlery or sweters and you may only wear black or white socks. The teachers are great exept the Turkish teacher you can't understand a thing what they say. I had always been really bad at math and now that I moved I am one of the smartest ones in my class. This school is great for elementary but not for middle school if you enroll your child make sure they move as fast as they can when middle school starts. Once you get to middle school they will divide the students in groups of smart people and stupid people. If you have a child that's still in elemetary go ahead send them in has a great elemetary program but move them as fast as you can once that get to middle school. And the student here are wonnabe people. The goal in this school for students is to be as bad as they can that's how you can get popular here. I am sooo happy.This school does not get you ready for life at all

Posted May 29, 2014
Has much to be desired. Decided on public school instead. Teachers are very hard to get along with.

Posted April 22, 2014
I was forced to move and go to Harmony School of Excellence. It's terrible. They put way to much homework on you, have really bad lunches, and most teachers don't really care about the students. Oh, & no electives! Only options: Spanish, or Turkish & you HAVE TO take one. I now have sleep deprivation to b/c of the homework. I've skipped breakfast a few times, and I don't even eat school lunch (the school's food is B-A-D) so I'm starving when I get home. I advise you to not go here..but if you do, pack your own lunch! Also, the kids get really show-off-y just because they got an A/B on a test. There's also this Chromebook you have to buy but a lot of kids have them unblocked so they just play games when the teacher tells you to take notes or is talking. B/C the teacher's have no personality, there no fun, they somehow manage to make everything BORING! And some of them are unfair about things ("Oh, you were sick? Well that's your problem, so wheres the homework? No? DPS! One more and you get Saturday detention!") and I don't understand why you can't carry your backpack in the classroom. Best if you don't send your kid here, trust me...personal experience!

Posted April 10, 2014
I used to go to Harmony School of Advancement but then got moved to Magnolia West High because we moved houses. Worst thing to ever happen to me. The kids are 100% nicer and friendlier and I have time to complete all my homework, which is a lot, because of block class which is an hour 45 instead of the typical 45 minute period. That means I have 4 classes a day alternating every other day. I'm not as physically tired and the teachers have personality. The only thing is, that it requires a bit of money here and there and they accumulate. But otherwise, I am ahead of other kids my age and I have more academic opportunities. I get to be more culturally diverse and learn things that are otherwise unclear in a public school. As far as school food goes, please bring your own lunch and trust me, once you wear the uniform for about a week or two, fashion is going to be a pleasure for you. I've met my best friends here and by personal experience, I know that we are friendly and helpful to new kids. We are the easiest group of kids to warm up to. Harmony is great.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 01, 2013
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!. We just got forced to moved our child back to her orininal school were we had never leaved, because they just KICK US OUT, with no mercy!, my child was debastated after to many promisses that the teachers did to us, my child was not the best student ever, and that is one of the reasons that we choose to pick this school, but oh surprice!, they are totally discriminated! about any child that is not up to their level, so if tou do not think your kid is good enough for them do not even bother!!.... you never get to meet the big people like the Princilal etc, and the is so hard to understand the big guy in charge who does not even bother to offer you an apology after an non since explanation....poor quality!, aweful lunch very unexperince teachers, since they quit so often, this makes a big sign!!! So if you are looking for great quality education do not even bother to take your child there!!!....until tday I can believe I had my child go to this experience.

Posted June 07, 2013
The kids at HSE are well-educated and tower above the test scores of public schools. However, the kids act as if they they can pick on you just because their grade in math is higher than yours. plus, unlike Cy- Fair, this school does not include electives such as band, orchestra, choir, etc. If you sre a parent and are thinking about this school, i highly consider otherwise.

Posted November 01, 2012
My daughter just started kindergarten this year at HSE and I am impressed with how much she has grown academically and socially in such a short time. Also, I am yet to see any peeling paint as mentioned in the previous post. HSE listens to parents as well, a new sports complex is being built as we speak and I see this school only getting better.
2 people found this helpful

Harmony School Of Excellence 3

Posted August 14, 2012
The best thing about HSE is the students. There are almost no behavior issues. Of the students who have been in attendance since it opened (majority Muslim or Indian), most were already high achieving students with above average IQs.This explains the excellent test scores. The majority of students have likely been hand selected in the past despite claiming a lottery. In the past year, a real lottery has been used and the new students more accurately reflect the Houston culture. They claim an excelerated curriculum but dropped most excelerated classes last year in lieu of higher STAAR Test scores despite much objection from parents. Only one GT class per grade is now ahead in curriculum. The great teachers with experience are enouraged to quit after a few years by being harassed by administration so they don't have to pay them the higher salary. For 2012-2013 there are appr. 20 new teachers. Many of the teachers lost were great and the new ones are first year teachers with NO experience. They are so cheap that the inside hasn't been painted in three years. Paint is peeling. Expect this school to be an average school within the next couple years.

Harmony School Of Excellence
7340 North Gessner Drive, Houston, TX  77040
Last modified Harmony School Of Excellence is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harmony School Of Excellence Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 75 reviews. Top