Clear Horizons Early College High School 4

Posted July 23, 2014
I will be a sophomore the upcoming year, and so far, there have been many more pros than cons. I came from a gifted and talented program in intermediate school. The challenge comparison to the gifted program is a lot less. If you are a student or a parent of a student who took all regular classes, be prepared to face challenges. The regular programs seem to not teach enough of the important skills students need to learn in middle school, especially writing. Because there is only one teacher for a subject, and one academic level, the classes aren't very hard. It is hard for the teacher to teach at a rigorous level because if they do, they know that most of the students will not do well, and there is not a lower level class for them to go to. If you, the parent, know your student is not good at writing, you should have them take classes or something, because writing is an essential skill not only at this school, but in life. My favorite part of being a student at Clear Horizons is that I get to experience college in high school. There are tons of events where students can get free stuff and free food if they have their college I.D. Also, there is not much bullying, or drama.

Posted June 08, 2014
I am a parent who had 2 students attend the zoned high school and one who attended Clear Horizons, class of 2011. I also substitute teach in both schools.. My daughter is currently working on her master's degree at university of Texas at Dallas. This program was a great jump start to her degrees. Yes, there were issues with staff learning how to get the program up and running. No new program is going to be perfectly run right out of the box. If a student is interested in learning, in a small environment and being academically challenged, then consider this school. I witnessed a very kind student population. If a student got into real trouble, they were sent back to their zoned school, no second chances. Students don't need to worry about gangs, or bullying for being different. By joining the honor society, my daughter received $18,000 in transfer scholarships over a three-year period. Don't believe it when you hear there are no scholarships for transfer students.

Clear Horizons Early College High School 4

Posted January 23, 2014
CHECHS is a GREAT school. Not perfect, it has it's flaws BUT I am incredibly pleased with the quality of the education. The principal, Brett Lemley and most of the staff. It could be better about communication & organization, but all in all, my daughter and I are BLESSED to be a part of this school!

Posted January 22, 2014
The Best in Class. In academics, and academics. Yes there is not many activities, but you can join tennis, and other clubs in SJ College. The main focus of the program is academics, and it delivers what promised. My son is Senior and going to a Medical school with scholarships. 2 years ahead of his class in college. Priceless...

Clear Horizons Early College High School 3

Posted February 18, 2012
I am a prospective parent, hoping to find out more about whether the school is getting more organized.

Posted October 02, 2011
I am a freshman a this school and i going to this school is the best desicion i've ever made, i know everyone, everyone is my friend. We really do treat each other like family, this school is tough, but well worth the stress.The college classes aren't hard, it's the highschool ones.

Posted June 16, 2011
Clear Horizons is a good school. My brother went there, and I go there. I consider my friends and classmates my second family because we have a small class size and everyone knows everyone else. Sure, the classwork is rigorous, but it's worth it because as you graduate from Clear Horizons, you also graduate with an Associate's degree from San Jacinto College.

Posted May 14, 2011
I have never had a problem contacting any staff, either on the HS or College side. My child is involved in several clubs, both HS & College. Taking college classes keeps my child challanged in a way that would not happen in a regular HS.

Clear Horizons Early College High School 2

Posted January 16, 2011
Although this school has good intentions, I'm not sure if it was worth all the effort. The school is extremely disorganized and it is difficult to communicate with the staff. There are virtually no extracurricular activities besides 2 or 3 clubs, and I'm not interested in any of those. The staff never notifies you when you should do something, so it is extremely annoying at the end of the year to get everything done. While several teachers are excellent, the rest should not be allowed to teach in such an accelerated school program. Also, the college the campus is stationed on is not the best, and many of those teachers are poor as well. As far as the work goes, it is a little bit harder, but not unmanageable.

Posted September 18, 2010
Wow, communication has turned 180 degrees! I have a senior at Clear Horizons and this is the first year where I know what is going on. The use of twitter, e4, and phone tree have is wonderful. The new principal is extremely accessible. This school is not easy but it is worth the hassle. My student will graduate with 72 hours of college credit. All but 5 hours (one 3 hr class, and 2 PE classes) will transfer to all of the 4 yr universities my student is considering for next year. Graduating with 2 years of college completed and an associates degree, and having no debt is something to really consider. All fees are paid by the district, including books! If your student has an idea what they want to be when they grow up, this is an opportunity to really consider.

Clear Horizons Early College High School
13735 Beamer Rd, Box 613, Houston, TX  77089
Last modified Clear Horizons Early College High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Clear Horizons Early College High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews.