Clear Lake High School

Public | 9-12 | 2421 students

Living in Houston

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $133,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

Posted December 16, 2013

I currently go to Clear Lake. It is extremely competitive. If you don't put in the effort to make good grades, the teachers will not help you. They do not baby you in any way. They prepare you for college very well.

Posted September 27, 2013

Don't let them find out if the doctor prescribes strong medication for your child. They will either have a choice of taking it and staying home or going to school in pain. They think they know more than the parents or doctors.

Posted September 24, 2013

Administration and teachers are too idiotic to deal with. Rely too much on spamming you with electronic communication that is worthless when they need to give a simple piece of paper to the students to take home. Isn't it illegal to sign your email and phone number up to spam communication without your consent and give you no obvious way to opt out? But then again, this school must think they are above the law. They don't really care about your child or your time as evidenced by their clearly delusional extra-curricular activities schedules. What type of school admin would want a 14 year old girl to walk home through a city by herself for 5 miles to get home? Think they care? Nope, just so long as the booster club gets your money.

Posted August 15, 2013

This school is full of drugs. Coaches are not supporting our children sadly. Dreams are crushed, very sad.

Posted May 31, 2011

I attended CCISD from elementary school and graduated from CLHS and you really do not realize how great of an education you have received until after you leave CLHS and enter college/ rest of the World. The knowledge I have and my ability to retain copious amount of information is greatly due to the progressive and competitive education I received. My everyday knowledge and general understanding compared to my peers is astounding. I have had numerous people ask, How do you know that? I say, Great education! The clique issue never phased me due to I am a well rounded and friendly person and had friends from every group and walk of life. I can see how maybe not having the extra income to have the latest fashion could maybe bother a student but the reward of a great education will out way any lack of monetary means. With the education you receive and your will not to compromise your future, you will be able to afford what you need in life. All of my teachers were great and if you needed help all you had to do was ask. I always felt safe at school and that I was a priority. Great district! Great area to live!

Posted March 26, 2011

I graduated from Lake last year and the teachers were great. The students were stuck up snobs and Lake is all about their "cliques" so if you don't fit into a certain category I'd suggest a more open-minded school.

Posted March 24, 2011

My Son and I are looking for the best opportunity for his education. we are planning on moving to Clearlake in the near future. I have heard this school rates very well and I am interested in finding out more.

Posted December 2, 2008

You don't realize what an excellent education you received until years later. You are talking to someone, watching a game show, playing a trivia game, just living life when you realize how much MORE you know than anyone around you. How many things you really understand. How many things you just 'get'. How much better your grasp of grammer is, etc. I could go on and on. I'm so thankful my parents moved to Clear Lake and I attended there. The endless fashion show was rough for a family with little flexible spending money, but the education was worth the stress of not fitting in fashion-wise.

Posted July 31, 2008

I graduated from Lake a few years ago, and while I admit it was trying sometimes, I am so grateful to have had the chance to go there! The school has prepared me in so many ways for college, especially with AP courses. For a 5A school, the teachers do a great job. It is not impossible to get that extra help, if desired, and teachers also don't ignore struggling students. I never had a problem voicing my concerns or getting help from the administration. If sought, was easily found. It is true that the students are rather clique-ish, but it is expected for a school so large and it is totally possible to make friends in every clique and none (in my experience) are particularly shunning. The variety of activities is a thing to appreciate- not many schools have such great sports programs and music education and active student organizations.

Posted June 15, 2008

Great academic-sports driven school with very few teachers that actually have any love, passion, or heart for what they get paid to do. Beware, it's not all about the school rank!

Posted May 24, 2008

I am an alumna of Clear Lake High School. Lake helped prepare me immensely for the difficult course load of college. The many AP classes offered not only helped earn me valuable hours but it also prepared me for college classes. As many people have mentioned, Lake is very 'clique-y,' but with such a large student body, that's to be expected. In addition to the wonderful academics at Lake, the music department is a great outlet for students. I enjoyed my time at Lake and it really helped me get to where I am today.

Posted February 14, 2008

I went to clear lake high school, and it is very hard for students with a 4.3 G.P.A to get into the top 10 %. Also it is very click-ish. And everyday you are judged by what you wear and what classes you are in. Some of the students and even teachers can be very judgemental. But once you find a group of friends and are doing good in your classes it can be a fun place to go to school.

Posted January 15, 2008

I had 4 children at this school. I am waiting for my first to graduate and go to college. the staff is too busy and wants to be involved with the best students. If not in that high group, your are ignored. My child is a senior. He is still waiting to meet his guidance counselor.

Posted January 14, 2008

i am a current student in ninth grade. Halfway through the school year and most of my teachers are already burned out. Lots of pressure and lots of clicks. tip try to make friends on the first day and dont wait

Posted September 21, 2007

I am a parent of 2 graduates and one current student. I feel academics and sports are the only focus at this school. Both of my two that have graduated could have benefitted greatly from technical type schooling versus Clear Lake's shoe horning into strickly academically focused schooling. There simply are no options for vocational training, if you don't measure up academically at this school you are forgotten or ignored. There are so many different type of people out there and not every one wants or needs to go to college to find what they love to do. If they are never exposed to anything other than sitting in a class; how then are they to find that love? Sincerely Disappointed in Clear Lake

Posted July 23, 2007

My older daughter went to CLHS and was an average student. It is a very competitive school and if your child doesn't 'fight' their way all the time the teachers, staff and students ignore you. We didn't like CLHS - too clickish and the teachers just don't care about you. My youngest daughter goes to Clear Brook High School and we like it much better - much better.

Posted July 6, 2007

The academic program is very rigorous, and the school encourages us to enter the AP program, but you are not ill-treated if you stick with the regular courses. This school does prepare us for higher education, for we had students this past year get accepted into some of the most highly sought after universities. Our extracurricular activities and electives are above average and there are a copious amount of options. Parent involvement is up to the parents and is welcomed. Teachers I have had were friendly and wanted to help their students as much as the students allows. Students failure is usually due to the student's lack of interest in their academics. Do not expect to get into the top ten percent easily; it takes a lot of dedication and there is a lot of competition. I highly recommend CLHS.

Posted May 2, 2007

I am a parent of two honor students who attend CLHS. They are both active in sports, clubs and academics. Our family loves CLHS and we believe that CCISD provides an outstanding opportunity for any student to receive an excellent education. The support that our children have received from Administration, Teachers and Coaches is excellent. Clear Lake is a large competitive school. Parents need to get involved and engaged with their children and the school to help them get the most out of Clear Lake or any other school. Our children have worked very hard to be ranked in the top 10 percent of their class. Any student or parent who does not have a high regard for CLHS probably has not worked very hard to get the most out of what CLHS offers. Our children are prepared and looking forward to attending a top tier university.

Posted May 1, 2007

My daughter has had the same counselor for two years. She is always positive and very helpful. When I have a question or a concern, I email the counselor and I get a response immediately. I would also like to add that my daughter's teachers also respond to emails in a very positive, helpful and professional manner. As a working parent I don't always have time to schedule one-on-one conferences with my daughter's teachers. Whether I call, send a note or email the teachers, I get a response in a timely manner.

Posted April 21, 2007

My son graduated from CLHS with grades sufficient to get him into TAMU. He was academically unprepared for college, and has struggled catch up. I feel he became quite good at working the system to attain high marks but learned little. As others have indicated, AP classes met my expectations for offering challenging opportunities for critical thinking, but regular classes were a joke. Sports are over-emphasized even by Texas standards.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

582 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

581 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

540 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

530 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

532 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

527 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

529 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

520 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

523 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

526 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Black or African American97%

All Students98%

Female99%
Hispanic99%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

381 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

206 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

520 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

586 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

588 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

595 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

599 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

598 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

531 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

575 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

600 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music