Cypress Creek High School

Public | 9-12 | 3251 students

Posted August 9, 2014

I agree completely with the things mentioned in the other review here by a former teacher of CyCreek. I too used to teach there. After several years things got so painful that I finally left. I couldn't stand anymore the way the administration treated the staff and the lack of expectation it had for its students. The teachers bear ALL the responsibility - administration passes the load onto them and the students never take any for themselves. This was a miserable teaching experience.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 21, 2014

I would say the school is mediocre at best. I was a teacher there for a while. It was going down fast with mr. Wells and the students still respected him. Now the new principle ms. Trujillo is a laugh to the students. Many say she is mean and does not care about the students. I truly know she does not care about her staff. District puts little money into the school because they are going to title 1 very soon. The only thing I have to say good is the majority of the teachers care. The administrative staff treats the teachers as a lower class status creating an us and them situation. Putting the teachers in the middle and not helping student classroom management. This school is really only concerned about the numbers on the state tests and not failing to many students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 16, 2011

Teachers at Cy Creek are either amazing or terrible. The bad ones can talk the talk, but it's lip service. I think they are just overwhelmed by the large classes and increasing demands, but the result is the same--huge classes where the struggling student WILL be lost. The APs are good. The 504 coordinator is very good. My advice would be to look for the teachers that will tell it to you straight--if they start speaking in educational jargon, run the other way because it's all BS at that point.

Posted September 15, 2011

My son fell and cut his leg while running on the track during class. The coach did not send him to the nurse's office nor did he call me. That night after work, 6 stiches, and a pair of crutches later we left the ER. I spoke to the AP the very next day. He assured me he would take care of the situation. Less than two hours later I get a call from him letting me know he had just gotten out of a meeting with the principal, all of the other APs, director of athletics, director of nursing and several others. They laid out a plan to make sure everybody knew the procedures to follow for injuries during class. They would be having a meeting with all of the coaches as well as an in-service with the teachers to make sure everybody knew the procedures. That evening when my son got home from school he talked about the meeting the coach had with his class on how to handle injuries. Problem solved in less than 12 hours, pretty good turnaround time don't you think. I can't say enough good things about the teachers, principals and staff!!

Posted February 18, 2010

My family and I recently moved back to Texas after being abroad for 10 years and I was enrolled into Cy-Creek High School. I went in with high expectaions and they were, sadly, not met at all. I can't say anything negative about the teachers because I can tell that they were overwhelmed with the obvious over-population of the school and were doing their best. I felt the whole atmosphere of the school was very chaotic and stressful. I speak in the past tense because my parents pulled me out of the school and are going to homeschool me until we can move- because of the high school. I don't want to badmouth the school, but I do want to warn people wanting to send their children to this school. As a freshman, starting late in the year, I still get a little sick thinking about the horrible experience I had.

Posted November 2, 2009

The administration and staff really care about the students and want them to succeed. Each student is encouraged to take upper level classes or AP classes if they are prepared for the tougher classes. Those students are expected to apply to college and further their education. If a student is not prepared for the tougher courses, they are encouraged to work at the highest level possible in order to graduate and move on to a career of their choice.

Posted October 5, 2009

My mildly handicapped but gifted student felt very uncomfortable at this school. As a parent I felt like the enemy instead of partner.

Posted June 10, 2009

Teachers care little to none about you and don't give you a reason to excel. I've gone through 3 highschools and this one is by far the worst.

Posted May 14, 2009

I have 3 children- 2 graduated from Cy-Creek and youngest is a junior. I've experienced on-level and k-level classes. I agree, in the K-level classes, the teaching was awesome, yet you must look at the fact, students in K-level classes are there because THEY WANT TO LEARN. On-level classes are a combination of kids who do want to learn, but also the students that just don't care. Because of the latter attitude, it distracts from the entire learning environment. Schools are not allowed to discipline students like they did when I was in school. ( ...and by the way - I AM A CY-CREEK GRADUATE MYSELF!) Todays society has allowed students to get away with not showing respect to their superiors, whether it is a teacher, neighbor or even their own parents. This has crippled teaches ability to control the classroom, therefore limiting the quanity/quality of what is taught.

Posted November 22, 2008

The academic standards at CCHS, once the flagship Senior High School of the Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District, have deteriorated over time; CCHS used to be a recognized school, but for the past few years it has been classified as 'Academically Acceptable' by the TEA. While it offers many AP and other upper level courses, those in on level courses suffer from teachers who do not care about actually educating students; this problem is exacerbated by the falling socioeconomic status of the student population. I feel that the Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District has gotten too big for its own good. I was privileged to know the principal, Mr. Jim Wells, personally and he even referred to me, several times, as a product of the Cy-Fair School District. For those who must attend CCHS, stay in upper level and AP courses and you should get into a good university.

Posted October 10, 2008

My son graduated CyCreek last spring and is working on a Mechanical Engineering degree at University of Texas - Austin. I was overall very happy with the quality of teachers and courses he took during his four years, and he has so far seemed well prepared for his course work at University of Texas. The key seems to be staying mostly in the 'K' and AP level courses as they prepare you better for college but also seem to have more opportunities with the teaching staff. The renovations on-going have made the school a mess, but they really don't have a choice and the school will be better prepared for additional students when it is completed. My daughter current attends the school and overall enjoys it and is being challenged in her classes.

Posted August 23, 2008

I am surprised by some of these Excellent ratings. Do a little research and see where this school ranks among Texas or just Houston schools for that matter. If you can see 'history' you will see it's steady decline. I had two children graduate from Cy Creek. One (son) in 2002 and the other in 2005. The school had began to really go down about 2000-2001 by the time my daughter graduated in 2005 the standards were so low, I would have never enrolled her there. I would have been cleaver, as many of my neighbors were and found ways to have their children placed in a different school within the district. Hey, if it means buying a lot in the 'right' area, I think I could have swung it. Cy Creek was once the High School in the Cy Fair District - sadly that is not the case any

Posted October 1, 2007

I am a former student of Cypress Creek High School. The academics Cy-Creek offers are second to none if you are taking above-level classes. The few on-level classes I took seemed to be more a babysitting period instead of a learning period, but has more to do with the students than the school itself. The building does need some renovations done, but if I've heard correctly these are already in the works. The teaching staff does vary depending on the department. Some of the teachers I had were outstanding while others seemed to know less about the subject than the students did. All in all, I'd say the school is definitely one of the better schools in the area

Posted September 13, 2006

What an Awesome School! Cypress Creek was a wonderful, challenging experience for our daughter!Under the guidance of Mrs. Winn and her Great Guidance staff, She was able to leave with enough AP credits to be classified as a Sophomore @ OU. Mr. Wells is a dedicated Principal and it shows in his popularity with the students! (Diamond Jim) can be found with his students a great part of his day!(How Cool Is That?)He is always willing to listen to parents suggestions and complaints! My best advice is don't show up at any school only when there is a problem, Make yourself useful, helpful and known as a supporter of your child's education!My biggest regret is that we had to move out of state, and my next child won't be able to Graduate from the Best High school in Texas! Can't Hide that Cougar Pride!

Posted February 12, 2006

Huge Student Body. Great academics if student is in excellerated program. On level suffers as it is the catch-all for everyone else. Discipline is an issue in these classes. Teachers very capable and doing the best they can with what they are given. School graduates some fantastic kids and is probaly the strongest in the district.

Posted August 29, 2005

Cchs offers great opportunities for students. They consistently produce top notch graduates that are ready for college enrollment. My son's ap classes allowed him to 'place out' of 15 hours of college work. He received a vocal music scholarship thanks to miss paul and the great choral program!

Posted August 8, 2005

The school really seems to care about its students. I've heard that there are very good teachers who go above and beyond and that there are teachers who seem like they hate their job. I also believe the school takes proper measures to ensure safety.

Posted November 25, 2004

Cypress Creek, in simplest terms, is the best school. We consistenly outperform and outshine othe high schools and students love their school! Mr. Wells is a great principal who really cares about the students and he and the rest of the adminstrative staff help make Cy-Creek wonderful! The parent volunteers are active and so are the many student organizations.You just can't hide that Cougar Pride!

Posted November 1, 2004

im a current student at cypress creek and i really enjoy it. i moved from another country and would have to say i am getting a much better education than where i was living previously. my teachers are nice, and they are not cliquish. i think i have been graded very well and my teachers make me work hard for the grade i deserve. The Theatre Department at this school is really good, as well as the silverado drill team, and the volleyball team. i think this is the best choice of school my parents could've made. im currently a sophomore and im very excited about my 2 years ahead. Mr. Wells is the best principal.

Posted March 25, 2004

As a former student, I would say Cy-Creek is your typical public high school, assuming your typical public high school is filled with snobby rich kids who drive brand new luxury cars and expensive classic cars. If your kid is a stuck-up preppie, athlete or an eating-disorder-having drill team member or cheerleader, they would do just fine. If your kid is an individual and an introvert, send them somewhere else. Some of the teachers were really good, some were really horrible and most were as cliquish as the students. As far as preparing a student for college, that's up to the student themselves and not this or any other school. I got into the university I wanted to just fine and I'm not an overachiever. For the record, I never saw a roach or rat my entire four years there but my four years were pure misery.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

878 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

865 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

766 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

754 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

749 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

747 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

723 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

723 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

722 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

726 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students98%

White100%
Economically disadvantaged98%
Special education80%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

569 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

832 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

633 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

858 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

895 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

715 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

710 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

181 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

673 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

848 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

707 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 6%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• (281) 807-8925

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options