Holbrook Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 1123 students

Posted March 24, 2014

A lot of patience is needed to deal with this school! First I will start with how ridiculous it is to drop off and to pick your child. Dropping your child off in the morning is the worst, you are allowed a wopping 15 minutes to do so. Between 7:55a-8:10a is the time frame you have to work with. Parents are in their cars lined up around a nearby park close to the school. Parents often park on nearby streets and walk there children to the door, if that is not your preference you will wait in two long lines of traffic in order to have the staff take the kids from your car. This process often causes friction between parents and staff. The staff is often rude and speaks to parents as if they are children themselves. Also if you do not get a chance to drop your child of before the bell rings, you are asked to park your vehicle and sign your child in as tardy in the office. Angry parents fill this office daily due to these ridiculous circumstances. My personal experiences with the staff is not good! Seems like they take pride in giving parents a hard time with every aspect of interaction with them. Being a volunteer parent is the hardest part of having to write this review!

Posted January 15, 2014

I am a former teacher at Holbrook. I transferred to be closer to home since I had a baby. I am writing this with no responsibility to the school. Holbrook is not a school. It's a family. The teachers arrive everyday with this mind frame and do so willingly. It is a well oiled machine do to the structure that is put into place. The principal has high expectations of her employees and even higher expectations of herself. I have seen her on the playground during recess playing with the kids; she calls the classroom her happy place because she loves watching kids learn. The teachers rally behind each other; they support each other and that same loyalty is extended to their students. They would walk through fire for their school. Like I said, Holbrook isn't a school. It's a family.

Posted January 11, 2014

I'm Nausheen Khan, I believe Holbrook elementary is an amazing School. Staff is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They are extremely respectable team members. They all work together to make sure their students, and teachers are having wonderful time while they are there. I have been a substitute in that facility, I always enjoyed being there. Because how welcoming and warming the school's environment. How all the teachers were helpful not towards me but any student, parent or teacher who walked in. Thanks for being in the community.

Posted January 10, 2014

Holbrook is an awesome school. I have a child who attends school there and excited to go everyday. Even when he is sick he says "I can't be sick, why can't I go to school"? I visit the school often and find everyone very friendly. The feel of the school is warm and welcoming.

Posted January 10, 2014

Holbrook Elementary is a school with high expectations not only from its students but its staff as well. I may not have been at this school long or have had much experience to compare it to, but I do know I don t want to be any place else. Here we strive to find any means possible to help our students succeed. We know they can succeed so we push them to it. The leadership team works very hard; studying data, doing walkthroughs, providing us with feedback so that we can be our best for our students. They expect a lot from us and at times it can be challenging but it's for all the right reasons. Like many of us teachers that are here late hours of the night trying to prepare for tomorrow, they are too. Making themselves available. The compassion and love that I see for the students here warms my heart. It makes me want to be here and gives me excitement for the days to come. Trust me, if it was about the paycheck, I would make more money working elsewhere. For me, it s about being there for my kids to catch them when their sad, help them when they don't understand, and to be an example for those that don't have one at home. It's family. It s home.

Posted January 10, 2014

My name is Joyce Ann O'Leary-Granger. I began teaching in 1987. I have been an employee of Cy-Fair for 10 years. Every morning I do not have to go to work to earn a paycheck, I GET to go to work at Holbrook. I have never worked at a school before where the teachers are so dedicated. Others may have negative comments, but are never specific. I will be specific. Dedicated teachers spend hours before school, after school and late evening sessions tutoring students. They spend hours after work the night before Christmas break at a book sale to make sure that EVERY student in the school has a new book for bedtime story night. They spend weekends at trainings to improve and help our kids get what they need. They adopt families from our school to make sure they have Christmas gifts under the tree purchased with their teacher paychecks. Dedicated teachers race to Walmart because they have composition books on clearance and every student needs a writer's notebook. We arrive to school in the dark and leave for home in the dark. I have biological children and my Holbrook children of my heart. Being a teacher at Holbrook is not what I do, it is who I am.

Posted January 10, 2014

Holbrook Elementary is an awesome school. I am blessed to be a part of this family. Teachers work very hard and do their best to meet the needs of individuals because we believe every child has potential to be successful. My own two kids went to Holbrook and I can proudly say as a parent and as an educator that teachers are very dedicated and committed to their work. Ms. Garcia is a passionate principal with great leadership skills. Holbrook is a great school!

Posted January 10, 2014

My brother and I went to Holbrook Elementary and we now are in middle school. Teachers were great and very helpful. I still miss my old school.

Posted January 10, 2014

Both my kids who went to Holbrook. I loved their warm and welcoming atmosphere. Admin and teachers work hard together to make sure that Each Child is successful. You can see assistant principals and principal outside before and after school every day. They open car doors for their students and greet both students and their parents. All of the teachers always greet their students in the hallways every morning before the school starts. You can see student work posted in hallways. Holbrook teachers love and respect their students. They are passionate and have high expectations from their students.

Posted January 10, 2014

I am a substitude teacher and have taught at Holbrook Elementary. Also, my kids went to this school for few years. One thing I can say for sure that this school is a Great Place. I have seen teachers and admin working very hard to help students and preparing them for college.....Dream Big. They have high expectations from their students and build a positive relationship with students and their parents. Holbrook is a great place!!!!

Posted January 9, 2014

Holbrook Elementary is an awesome school. I have been an educator here for several years, and the faculty, staff and students are amazing. When I look at the time teachers and administration invest not only their contract time, but endless hours before and after school planning for the next day or week, tutoring and brainstorming with their colleagues ways to help kids be successful. Not only is the faculty and staff great, but the parents are wonderful as well. We have parents volunteering for activities like never before. There's a program called Watchdogs that is now in our school that has brought so many dads into the building to be positive male volunteers in our classrooms to support our students and teachers.

Posted January 9, 2014

Holbrook elementary is an urban school with a diverse student population. Teachers and staff are friendly, caring and attentive to all students. Each child is respected and appreciated for their individuality. Growing relationships and making each child successful in their learning are the top priorities of the school. The school offers before and after school tutoring, has many community partnerships, and implements the watchdog program, a program that promotes father involvement in schools.

Posted January 9, 2014

Holbrook is a family. I feel very fortunate to be working at a school were we believe everyone has the potential to be successful. Where we look for the positives and strengths in our children. It is inspiring to see how our principal Ms. Garcia is a passionate advocate for ALL students. Holbrook is great school to call home.

Posted October 28, 2013

I hate this school, the staff is nasty and rude they don't tread the kids with compassion or love this is just a job for them, I'll be change my daughter next year for sure I wont recommend this school to any parent.

Posted August 23, 2013

I hate this school. They never send out letters for updates to keep you informed. When they do send home stuff its in spanish. This is America. The material taught is minimal and not thorough at all. The teachers should be able to fluently be able to speak proper english before they are given a teaching job. The teachers are lazy, principals are mean and staff is rude. There is maybe 2 staff members I haven't had a problem with. Annoyed with this school

Posted February 22, 2013

this school is very bad my son entered this school in 2nd grade and the problemes started with student, they laugh on my son without any reason.The student very bad also the teachers didn't give the lessons in the right way

Posted September 14, 2012

I enrolled my daughter at this school for the first time as a Kindergarten student in August of this year (2012). She attended on the first day of school and on the second day of school I was checking her out! This school is ALL business and has no compassion for the parents or students. I felt like I was dropping my daughter of at a prison camp because that was the way they ran the school. Fussing and shouting at the kids and parents like we worked there! ZERO COMPASSION for the kids that were attending school for the first time. This was my daughter's first interaction with school and it was a complete disaster! I do not agree with ANY school that discourages parental involvement and rips screaming kids away from the only security they have ever known, THEIR PARENTS! I witnessed this for myself and knew that I wouldn't tolerate it and I feel like the other parents shouldn't either. When I have to leave my child for 6-7 hours a day with a complete stranger, I would like the comfort of knowing that she is being taught and recieving the respect that we are all entitled to. If you are a parent looking for compassion, comfort, and reassurance DON'T choose this school.

Posted July 30, 2012

I have had my child enrolled in Holbrook twice in their lifetime. My child has severe dyslexia so when I call the teacher to discuss the big red marks on her papers I hear, she will call you book which she never did. So I wrote an email because she said email was best, never received an email back. So I left a message for the principal and the principal never called me back either. It seems there is no concrete policy on teacher parent conferences and I can't go running to the school all times of the day as I work 30 miles away. The only one who answered the phone was the nurse and she was quite helpful with other matters.

Posted June 1, 2011

My son started in PreK and will start 3rd fall 2011. He struggled in 1st but made it to 2nd where his grades continued to slip thoughout the year.I had begged the new asst principal at beginning of school year to please get my child some math tutoring (something they would not/could not do for him in 1st grade). . Asst Principal said " aftter 1st 6 week review if he needed addl help he would get it.". That never materialized even though he made the lowest math scores in the class. I did find private tutors but had no help from the school. Both teachers were very good and i think their hands were tied and thus couldnt help the kids more. The administrations thinking seems to be why help the younger ones if the school isnt going to get the govt funding? Final semester the teachers agreed to come to school early to help the struggling children. Although very helpful it should have been offered much sooner. As likeable and smart as the teachers are I will be transferring my child to a different school. The cirriculum is challenging and my child learned alot but feel that by staying he will continue to get lost in the system

Posted November 3, 2008

My children love attending Holbrook! They have wonderful teachers, and really enjoy learning here!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

121 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

123 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

118 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

121 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

119 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

115 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

116 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

112 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students80%

Limited English proficient (LEP)87%
Proficient in English81%
Non-migrant86%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students59%

Non-migrant80%
Non-Gifted80%
Bilingual90%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

• YVETTE GARCIA
Fax number
  • (713) 460-7866

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now