Houston, TX
Students enrolled: 1,123

Holbrook Elementary School 2

Posted March 05, 2015
I really hope to God that the administrators & educators of this school aren't as nonchalant & passive with the students as they are with the parents. I am a stand up kind of parent so if I see ANYTHING I don't agree with I'm there, so with that being mentioned A LOT & I mean A LOT can & needs to change with the way they do things... Let's start with the time allowed to pick up & drop off your kid(s); 15 minutes to get hundreds of kids in a crowded school that us in a narrow street busy neighborhood is beyond ridiculous. Secondly, overall in MOST of the Texas school districts there needs to be black history taught thoroughly to our children, of all races, ethnicities & nationalities. After all, it is a very crucial & very important part of our country's history, it's very obvious that these schools feel as though "black history" isn't as important as learning that Christopher Columbus discovered America.. *LaughOutLoud
3 people found this helpful

Holbrook Elementary School 4

Posted August 29, 2014
Son is in1st & I am AMAZED at how well he is doing. The staff has always been professional and respectful, but will not compromise when it comes to kid's safety and learning. AS THEY SHOULDN'T! I have read the bad reviews, and I can tell you the type of parents they are. The lady that has drop off problems is the "I am impatient & more important" parent. The lady that pulled her daughter out of school after the first day threw a fit bc the school doesn't allow parents in the classrooms the first 2 weeks. She is also the one that impatient lady is honking at because she's taking the full 15 minutes to hug, kiss, take pictures, cry. I too was a little upset I did not get to walk my son to his first class ever, but can you imagine the added chaos if helicopter parents were allowed to go inside? Taking photos of little Jenny sitting in her desk, now getting up from her desk, now coloring... This is what "meet the teacher" is for BEFORE the school year starts. I didn't give it 5 stars bc some of the events have been a little disorganized, book fair, muffins with mom, etc. But the 1st week, man they got that down yo! All in all, this is one of the better schools. My son loves it.

Holbrook Elementary School 1

Posted March 24, 2014
A lot of patience is needed to deal with this school! First I will start with how ridiculous it is to drop off and to pick your child. Dropping your child off in the morning is the worst, you are allowed a wopping 15 minutes to do so. Between 7:55a-8:10a is the time frame you have to work with. Parents are in their cars lined up around a nearby park close to the school. Parents often park on nearby streets and walk there children to the door, if that is not your preference you will wait in two long lines of traffic in order to have the staff take the kids from your car. This process often causes friction between parents and staff. The staff is often rude and speaks to parents as if they are children themselves. Also if you do not get a chance to drop your child of before the bell rings, you are asked to park your vehicle and sign your child in as tardy in the office. Angry parents fill this office daily due to these ridiculous circumstances. My personal experiences with the staff is not good! Seems like they take pride in giving parents a hard time with every aspect of interaction with them. Being a volunteer parent is the hardest part of having to write this review!

Posted January 15, 2014
I am a former teacher at Holbrook. I transferred to be closer to home since I had a baby. I am writing this with no responsibility to the school. Holbrook is not a school. It's a family. The teachers arrive everyday with this mind frame and do so willingly. It is a well oiled machine do to the structure that is put into place. The principal has high expectations of her employees and even higher expectations of herself. I have seen her on the playground during recess playing with the kids; she calls the classroom her happy place because she loves watching kids learn. The teachers rally behind each other; they support each other and that same loyalty is extended to their students. They would walk through fire for their school. Like I said, Holbrook isn't a school. It's a family.

Posted January 11, 2014
I'm Nausheen Khan, I believe Holbrook elementary is an amazing School. Staff is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They are extremely respectable team members. They all work together to make sure their students, and teachers are having wonderful time while they are there. I have been a substitute in that facility, I always enjoyed being there. Because how welcoming and warming the school's environment. How all the teachers were helpful not towards me but any student, parent or teacher who walked in. Thanks for being in the community.

Holbrook Elementary School 4

Posted January 10, 2014
Holbrook is an awesome school. I have a child who attends school there and excited to go everyday. Even when he is sick he says "I can't be sick, why can't I go to school"? I visit the school often and find everyone very friendly. The feel of the school is warm and welcoming.

Posted January 10, 2014
Holbrook Elementary is a school with high expectations not only from its students but its staff as well. I may not have been at this school long or have had much experience to compare it to, but I do know I don t want to be any place else. Here we strive to find any means possible to help our students succeed. We know they can succeed so we push them to it. The leadership team works very hard; studying data, doing walkthroughs, providing us with feedback so that we can be our best for our students. They expect a lot from us and at times it can be challenging but it's for all the right reasons. Like many of us teachers that are here late hours of the night trying to prepare for tomorrow, they are too. Making themselves available. The compassion and love that I see for the students here warms my heart. It makes me want to be here and gives me excitement for the days to come. Trust me, if it was about the paycheck, I would make more money working elsewhere. For me, it s about being there for my kids to catch them when their sad, help them when they don't understand, and to be an example for those that don't have one at home. It's family. It s home.

Posted January 10, 2014
My name is Joyce Ann O'Leary-Granger. I began teaching in 1987. I have been an employee of Cy-Fair for 10 years. Every morning I do not have to go to work to earn a paycheck, I GET to go to work at Holbrook. I have never worked at a school before where the teachers are so dedicated. Others may have negative comments, but are never specific. I will be specific. Dedicated teachers spend hours before school, after school and late evening sessions tutoring students. They spend hours after work the night before Christmas break at a book sale to make sure that EVERY student in the school has a new book for bedtime story night. They spend weekends at trainings to improve and help our kids get what they need. They adopt families from our school to make sure they have Christmas gifts under the tree purchased with their teacher paychecks. Dedicated teachers race to Walmart because they have composition books on clearance and every student needs a writer's notebook. We arrive to school in the dark and leave for home in the dark. I have biological children and my Holbrook children of my heart. Being a teacher at Holbrook is not what I do, it is who I am.

Posted January 10, 2014
Holbrook Elementary is an awesome school. I am blessed to be a part of this family. Teachers work very hard and do their best to meet the needs of individuals because we believe every child has potential to be successful. My own two kids went to Holbrook and I can proudly say as a parent and as an educator that teachers are very dedicated and committed to their work. Ms. Garcia is a passionate principal with great leadership skills. Holbrook is a great school!

Posted January 10, 2014
My brother and I went to Holbrook Elementary and we now are in middle school. Teachers were great and very helpful. I still miss my old school.

Holbrook Elementary School
6402 Langfield Road, Houston, TX  77092
Last modified Holbrook Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Holbrook Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top