Bad
Good

We just finished our 3rd year at Matzke Elementary. The administration is amazing and so is the PTO. My two kiddos love being a Wildcat.

All Matzke and the staff cares about is collecting their paychecks and "passing the STAAR test. No empathy, inadequate communication, and nothing but excuses, with ZERO issue resolution. My child was sent home with a poster board & asked to decorate said poster to promote a local football team and "Fuel Up to Play 60". Her poster was chosen as one of the top 5. She was VERY excited about this because a football player was suppose to pick the winner. However, if there was a letter or a call telling me that my child may not have the opportunity to participate, I would have driven to the school or sign any necessary paperwork for my child to be a part of this event. Instead, the school segregated all the children without this "authorization", put a green sticker on their clothes and had them watch from the back while everyone else got to enjoy themselves. My child watch all the other kids get to hold up their posters and she had to sit in this "green sticker" club crying and feeling left out. And heaven forbid someone tried to make my child feel better, she was told, "Now girls, stop crying. You're only making things worse." Insensitive to say the least.

If I could put my kids in a different school or a private school I would. This is one of my kids third year at this school and it sucks. The only good thing about this school is the Asst. Principal Mrs. Mote. She is awesome and really cares about the students safety and well being. The teachers are unorganized and clearly there to collect a paycheck only. The best teacher they ever had there Ms. Yancy moved to another school and I wish she were still there. If I could rate this school a zero I would.

Matske was once a great school but is changing unfortunately. The teachers look worn down and will dress in inappropriate clothing and appear unprofessional most days. Many are not challenging the students to strive beyond the basic lesson plan and don't stretch the kids beyond that not much more. They have a new principal now and I pray that she will bring new positive changes to Matske as there is a great community of kids that deserve and need more strong enriching academics.

It's definitely gone down hill in the last two years. Teachers seem to put unnecessary pressure on children to score high on TAKS test. My nine year old daughter was extremely anxious about the test. It seems the principal puts a great emphasis on the test but hasn't strategized with the teachers how to be nurturing and understanding to the children. We recently decided to home school our daughter because of this lack of understanding of how not to add pressure to the children, who by the way should nit have to deal with adult type pressure at such an early age.

The school has declined these last 2 years. Not sure if its all because of Title 1 or new leadership. The focus on the test scores means shorter recess, shorter art and music and now the running of laps in place of art and music each week because the school cut minutes from ART/Music/PE. Would not recommend this school.

Loved this school until recently, I agree with the last comment regarding the changing school population and becomming a Title 1 school. Very disappointing. Reduced recess and changes in the leadership approach dont help this school, the best thing it has going for it are a majority of teachers that care.

I think it is a great school and the teachers are wonderful. My daughter is in the fifth grade and she adores both of her teachers. The teachers and school staff truly care about the students. Go Matzke!

We love Matzke. I have a fourth grader and 2nd grader and the more I get involved with the school, by volunteering, the more I love it. Getting involved in your child's education is the best way to really make a difference at the school level.

Last modified Matzke Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.