Posted December 19, 2014
This school was awesome in the past. In the past 8 years, I have 3 kids that have or are currently attending this school. It wasn't until this year that I have noticed a breakdown of communication with the staff. PTO seems to run the communications and the principal and teachers rely on that fact. A monthly newsletter is suppose to go out with every child but I rarely receive that on a regular basis. Additionally, when I have sent a letter to the teacher I do not get a response. . Time and time again, I have found I am uninformed and for all my trouble, the principal herself Ms. Cathy Jacobs acted as if it's not her fault but mine. Repeated herself of what I need to do to resolve my problem and showed ABSOLUTELY ZERO empathy, much less attempt issue resolution. If I could, I would remove my child from that school immediately. It makes me very sad that she is turning this school into something that I would NOT recommend to others.

Posted May 29, 2013
Matske was once a great school but is changing unfortunately. The teachers look worn down and will dress in inappropriate clothing and appear unprofessional most days. Many are not challenging the students to strive beyond the basic lesson plan and don't stretch the kids beyond that not much more. They have a new principal now and I pray that she will bring new positive changes to Matske as there is a great community of kids that deserve and need more strong enriching academics.

Matzke Elementary School 1

Posted April 17, 2011
It's definitely gone down hill in the last two years. Teachers seem to put unnecessary pressure on children to score high on TAKS test. My nine year old daughter was extremely anxious about the test. It seems the principal puts a great emphasis on the test but hasn't strategized with the teachers how to be nurturing and understanding to the children. We recently decided to home school our daughter because of this lack of understanding of how not to add pressure to the children, who by the way should nit have to deal with adult type pressure at such an early age.

Matzke Elementary School 1

Posted February 07, 2011
The school has declined these last 2 years. Not sure if its all because of Title 1 or new leadership. The focus on the test scores means shorter recess, shorter art and music and now the running of laps in place of art and music each week because the school cut minutes from ART/Music/PE. Would not recommend this school.

Posted September 12, 2010
Loved this school until recently, I agree with the last comment regarding the changing school population and becomming a Title 1 school. Very disappointing. Reduced recess and changes in the leadership approach dont help this school, the best thing it has going for it are a majority of teachers that care.

Matzke Elementary School 4

Posted August 08, 2009

Matzke Elementary School 5

Posted June 22, 2009

Matzke Elementary School 0

Posted April 06, 2009
I think it is a great school and the teachers are wonderful. My daughter is in the fifth grade and she adores both of her teachers. The teachers and school staff truly care about the students. Go Matzke!

Matzke Elementary School 0

Posted February 02, 2009
We love Matzke. I have a fourth grader and 2nd grader and the more I get involved with the school, by volunteering, the more I love it. Getting involved in your child's education is the best way to really make a difference at the school level.

Matzke Elementary School 5

Posted July 18, 2008

Matzke Elementary School
13102 Jones Road, Houston, TX  77070
Last modified Matzke Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Matzke Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top